Treatment for keloid scars...please help me!

Hi, I am pretty experienced with keloids- I had huge keloids on the front and back of my earlobe from an ear piercing. My old dermatologist tried injecting my keloids with steroids- big mistake. My keloids only grew massively due to the trauma from the needle itself. The keloids grew to be very large, painful, and embarrassing. I tried many topical creams and nothing reduced the size or redness, and eventually found a plastic surgeon who agreed to cut out my keloid. Following the surgery, I underwent three rounds of radiation treatment, since keloids grow like benign tumors. They never stop growing! After the surgery and radiation, which was almost 4 years ago, there has been no signs of my keloids growing back. It is worth considering if all else fails. HTH! Good luck!!

Similar to nycgirl, i had a huge keloid the size of a bean on the back of my earlobe from piercing as well. I went and saw a surgeon and the first thing he had me do is wear a clip earing to press the keloid for about a week then doctor took a knife and cut off that darn keloid. It has not come back and it's been 5 yrs!

I tend to form keloids and one tip I learned at a seminar a few yrs back has worked very well. As soon after surgery as possible, you shine a red penlight laser (often sold for stimulating accuptessure points) on the wound for 5 minutes about 2-3 times per day. It will prevent a keloid from forming in the first place. When I had some plastic surgery on my face and had a few moles removed at the same time -- I was lazy and only used the laser on my facial incisions & on one of the moles. They didn't scar at all -- the ones I neglected formed big old keloids. I have a huge keloid from my cesarean - 4" x 1" running up my belly, and my OB is going to excise it with this upcoming delivery. You can bet $ that I'll be doing my laser treatment on it to prevent scaring this time!

I have found the culprit! After years of trial and error, I have finally found this. We have to change our diet completely, no meat, especially chicken(due to growth hormone injection), seafood and all other source of protein. I have 4 active keloid scars on my body and they stopped growing ever since I stopped taking proteins.

Food to avoid:
- Egg
- nuts
- chicken
- and all other protein intake

Most importantly, never cut it with surgery or it will grow double. Try not to use any treatment as they will activate your scar. This was what happened to me when I tried the Smith-kline Silicon Gel. Keloid will fade by time not by any treatment.

Please try this and post your feedback.

All the best!

Jamiesc, what about protein from vegetables or legumes? cuz we need protein for energy, right? What aBout the chicken that don't have antibiotics or growth hormone injection (like ones they sell at whole foods or other natural food stores)?

I've found that when I eat something spicy or drink alcohol, my scars hurt & itch more than ever...:sad:

I have found the culprit! After years of trial and error, I have finally found this. We have to change our diet completely, no meat, especially chicken(due to growth hormone injection), seafood and all other source of protein. I have 4 active keloid scars on my body and they stopped growing ever since I stopped taking proteins.

Food to avoid:
- Egg
- nuts
- chicken

Most importantly, never cut it with surgery or it will grow double. Try not to use any treatment as they will activate your scar. This was what happened to me when I tried the Smith-kline Silicon Gel. Keloid will fade by time not by any treatment.

All the best!

I have tried soya and milk protein and it causes mild itchiness too, not as bad as the meat protein. Yeah, spicy food and alcohol are bad as well because they circulate the blood to the scar.

Another important thing is that I can't sleep with face down due to the blood being circulated to the scar. I can only sleep sideway or faceup. I just realize this a few months back. Weird but true..

I have been suffering the pain for more than 15 years. I just hate the smith-kline gel because the scar was inactive before I tried it.

I've used Emu oil for 4 months now on my keloid scar. I took photos of it before and after, and there has been NO change. My scar is from my childhood - so really old - and I know it will take some time for a major change...but I'm thinking now of trying the black keloid paste and the snake oil keloid paste recommended in the site above. I googled it, and there are some pretty good reviews.

Also - the effects are supposed to be permanent - unlike steroid injections - which were a huge waste of time and money - and which caused my keloid to flatten but spread out more!

My keloid on my back is pretty flat. I have no idea how it happened as I was doing a couple of things. I pressed it gently couple times a day, exfoliated 1-2 a week (my whole body) the only thing now is to get rid of the color.

wow another old thread!

i had a keloid scar on my back. it was raised for a while but now over 10+ later, it is flat. it just looks like an old white stretch mark but even at that, it is not noticeable. i tried to find it right now and couldn't find it.

i used to worry about it cause it was huge and raised and red. not anymore!

I know this thread is old, but I wanted to share.

I had a horrible keloid on the front of my neck as a result of surgery. It looked like a giant earthworm across the front of my neck. I was so embarrassed by the scar that I got rid of all my v-neck, and button down shirts and only wore turtlenecks or very high neck tops. I was terribly distraught and searched high and low for a dermatologist that could help me.

I finally found a doctor who could help me. I went into her office every two weeks for cortisone injections. Initially, the keloid would get larger due to the added cortisone, but then over the next two weeks I would see a slight flattening of the area, then I would get another injection, and so on.

Over time, the scar flattened out to the point that I could use makeup to cover the discoloration of my skin. After a few years the color faded out and now I no longer need to cover the area with makeup at all. It is barely noticable.

And another thing, I had keloids start to form in my ears when I was a teen. My ears started to get thick around where they were pierced and became too thick to wear pierced earrings. I went to the doctor and was told that they formed because I was wearing cheap earrings. So I wore clip ons for a while. When the keloid had gone down to the point where I could wear pierced earrings again, I bought some 14K gold hoops and the keloid went away.

hi!! im jeff! im 18 and my passion is acting!! im quite popular here in our village, but i have a secret.. i have a bad skin beneath my clothes.

for 11 years i studied in an all boys school, from prep to 4th year. when i was in grade 5, i wonder of myself: why do i get pimples every so often while the others dont? i may be the most sociable person in school but i was shy for my pimples, i get to have them on my face and on my body.but it was a bit of a problem for they were few and as an optimistic person i thought it would just go away by itself. but when 1st year high school and 2nd year high school had come, my pimples got even worse! as a person, i am very jolly, enthusiastic and funny. im very popular in school, but i was suffering severe acne in my face as well as in my body and behind my cheerfulness i was living in fear and anxiety. my parents didn't know about it because they work in abroad, they stay only a month every year and so i dont know them and i dont have guts to tell them; i only live with my grandmother and my sister. i keep telling my grandmother about it but she was just too optimistic, she doesn't seem to understand what i feel. i remember during those times i always bring a hanky to cover my face because i was ashamed. luckily i was admired by fellow students because i have a talent of acting and making people laugh. they respected me as who i am..but it just hurts my feeling everytime they try to stare at me or ask me about it. they ask me, "why do you have a lot of pimples?" but the honestly i dont really know it myself. i feel also special when the other boys can change clothes easily while i try to avoid them seeing my body pimples. i was optimistic, i thought to myself, "one day, my pimples will be gone."

late 3rd year, my pimples on my face began to disappear but leaving some marks to remind me of who i was before. but..on my body, i was wondering, why were the pimples become soft and pinkish...i was not aware they have already become KELOIDS. 1 week, 2 weeks have passed, ignorantly i decided i would pick it with a needle then remove all the puss. but when i picked it, there were no puss, there was just blood! i thought, "this is different!?" ...though i was not aware of keloids at that time, i already knew...they were permanent.
you know, if i dont really have this bad skin i would have become much happier with my life! honestly, im contented with myself and i dont want to be anyone else but when i think of this, i feel different from other people. i realize without keloids, maybe i was able to play basketball topless with my friends, maybe id become a good swimmer.. maybe i was able to go to beach normally and have some fun, maybe i met people i did not met.

last year, 4th year i gathered all my guts and told my mom about this. she brought me to a far derma clinic. to make the story short, i had more or less 35 injection in all of my keloids, honestly i dont feel much pain as much as when i feel anxious when i would swim in PE class. and honestly saying, i dont fear injection at all, i like the pain, its somewhat itchy, stingy but feels like "Ahhh.." after the injection. i never went back to it for it was far, and also i never went back when a doctor nearby told me im just wasting my money because keloids can never be treated and would just come back.

now that im going to college, life is expected to be different. people that i will encounter are not the same as highschool. they would judge me wrongly.

sometimes i blame myself for being optimistic..why didn't i be realistic and went to a derma immediately when i was still young. but what happens happens. it already happened, i dont have time to be a pessimist. i have to deal with it. i just wish SOMEONE would help people like me who are suffering from this evil keloids. sometimes i think im not qualified to marry because i might scare the girl that i will love... i already accepted myself, but im still hopeful someone might help people like us!!! PLEASE DOCTOR HELP!!!

Food to avoid:
- Egg
- nuts
- chicken

All the best!

thats very worse for me now, i need protein from my hairs stop falling since i have few bald spots and now my keloids... on my chest 3 of them.. very unfortunate for me =(

hi!! im jeff! im 18 and my passion is acting!! im quite popular here in our village, but i have a secret.. i have a bad skin beneath my clothes.

for 11 years i studied in an all boys school, from prep to 4th year. when i was in grade 5, i wonder of myself: why do i get pimples every so often while the others dont? i may be the most sociable person in school but i was shy for my pimples, i get to have them on my face and on my body.but it was a bit of a problem for they were few and as an optimistic person i thought it would just go away by itself. but when 1st year high school and 2nd year high school had come, my pimples got even worse! as a person, i am very jolly, enthusiastic and funny. im very popular in school, but i was suffering severe acne in my face as well as in my body and behind my cheerfulness i was living in fear and anxiety. my parents didn't know about it because they work in abroad, they stay only a month every year and so i dont know them and i dont have guts to tell them; i only live with my grandmother and my sister. i keep telling my grandmother about it but she was just too optimistic, she doesn't seem to understand what i feel. i remember during those times i always bring a hanky to cover my face because i was ashamed. luckily i was admired by fellow students because i have a talent of acting and making people laugh. they respected me as who i am..but it just hurts my feeling everytime they try to stare at me or ask me about it. they ask me, "why do you have a lot of pimples?" but the honestly i dont really know it myself. i feel also special when the other boys can change clothes easily while i try to avoid them seeing my body pimples. i was optimistic, i thought to myself, "one day, my pimples will be gone."

late 3rd year, my pimples on my face began to disappear but leaving some marks to remind me of who i was before. but..on my body, i was wondering, why were the pimples become soft and pinkish...i was not aware they have already become KELOIDS. 1 week, 2 weeks have passed, ignorantly i decided i would pick it with a needle then remove all the puss. but when i picked it, there were no puss, there was just blood! i thought, "this is different!?" ...though i was not aware of keloids at that time, i already knew...they were permanent.
you know, if i dont really have this bad skin i would have become much happier with my life! honestly, im contented with myself and i dont want to be anyone else but when i think of this, i feel different from other people. i realize without keloids, maybe i was able to play basketball topless with my friends, maybe id become a good swimmer.. maybe i was able to go to beach normally and have some fun, maybe i met people i did not met.

last year, 4th year i gathered all my guts and told my mom about this. she brought me to a far derma clinic. to make the story short, i had more or less 35 injection in all of my keloids, honestly i dont feel much pain as much as when i feel anxious when i would swim in PE class. and honestly saying, i dont fear injection at all, i like the pain, its somewhat itchy, stingy but feels like "Ahhh.." after the injection. i never went back to it for it was far, and also i never went back when a doctor nearby told me im just wasting my money because keloids can never be treated and would just come back.

now that im going to college, life is expected to be different. people that i will encounter are not the same as highschool. they would judge me wrongly.

sometimes i blame myself for being optimistic..why didn't i be realistic and went to a derma immediately when i was still young. but what happens happens. it already happened, i dont have time to be a pessimist. i have to deal with it. i just wish SOMEONE would help people like me who are suffering from this evil keloids. sometimes i think im not qualified to marry because i might scare the girl that i will love... i already accepted myself, but im still hopeful someone might help people like us!!! PLEASE DOCTOR HELP!!!

i understand how you feel. I am suffering the same fate as you. Suffering acnes from high school, later emotionally hurt from acne scars (keloids). My advice for you: keep on doing the injection. it will flatten your keloid eventually to the point where they are not rised much above the skin. Then you should go to this link http://scartreatmentassociation.com/review.html to review the available over-the-counter treatments.
Right now, they have other professional treatment for keloid such as PDL (pulse-dyed laser), blue-light, matrix, and so on. I have tried the pdl but it activate my keloid and make them bigger for some reason. So i stopped doing the PDL.
I forgot, you can also go here: http://www.dermanesse.com/Testimonials.html if you want a micro dermabrassion. I never tried this product, but i will in the future. After all the researching, i think it worth a tried since i got a lot of uneven scars on my face from acne.
good luck to you
One day, we will be "normal" again.

Food to avoid:
- Egg
- nuts
- chicken

All the best!
This is really bad nutrition advice in general. Zero protein in the diet is a horrible idea.

Additionally "never cut it with surgery or it will grow double" is a huge amount of BS. I've had scar revisions done surgically, and this has never, ever proven to be true. It would be downright laughable if it wasn't scary that someone may take such advice as being the truth.

Again, you're statement that keloids will not fade by any other treatment than time is again incorrect. I am currently having success with PDL treatments--not "time."

I'm not sure how effective this will be on your scars, but I do know that Trilogy Rose Hip Oil is fantastic on acne scaring, for wrinkles, dry skin, toning & firming. It can actually be used on oily skin or skin that is still prone to acne - this is because the oil doesn't block your pores & allows your skin to breathe. I still to this day use it, despite no having stubborn scaring, because I love the way my skin feels in the morning. I apply it after exfoliating with a non cream based exfoliator (Laure Mercier Face Polish) before I go to bed at night. This stuff is seriously fantastic & you will see an immediate improvement in your skin. It is 100% natural, so it wouldn't hurt to give this a go.

jamiesc advice is wrong. Use it as a 'what not to do', if anything, I have heard that fish actually helps. Your skin also benefits from all of the listed foods. Do no cut protein out of your diet.

Last edited: