Torn- neutral or "pop" for 1st bag?

I think if you are only going to have one Hermes bag for a very, very, very long time, you really should consider something neutral that will grow with you. My Gold Birkin is a mainstay in my closeet a bag I know will look good on me for years to come.

Or how about this.....

You purchase a standard neutral Birkin (say it's Gold......) this is your daily bag.....say it's Gold Togo (this way it's good to go out in all types of weather). A year or so down the line you purchase a less expensive bag....say Bolide or Plume or whatever your heart desires ....in a FAB bright color. This is your "fun", "gimme-a-little-color bag" that doesn't cost the earth. Now you have two fantastic bags that run the gamut.

I happen to think though that your SO sounds perfect. Chocolate with Blue Jean is just so appealing!!!! Why not wait for this one? It sounds perfect!!!!!

Well I know that there are a lot of gold fans here but in my book chocolate counts as a neutral and the blue jean interior would make the bag that bit special to you with an added bit of oomph. A lovely chocolate shade would, I imagine, complement a summer wardrobe of blues and creams and in no way detract from a darker winter ensemble.
If, like me, it's going to be your only bag in a good long while you need to make sure it is special to you - don't go with the herd on this one! Especially if the bag is going to be worth more than most of things in your wardrobe put together. You need to spend some time to make sure head and heart agree on this one. And if you are lucky enough to have a good SA, and it sounds as though you have one, do take their advice - they work with the bags all the time and see how they work ( or not) with all their clientele.

LOL...I don't know how much help we're actually offering! Seems like a toss-up between BJ and Gold. I know exactly how you feel, I'm planning my first purchase (Bolide) soon and it will be my only item for the next few years while I save for my Kelly.

I agree with what others have suggested earlier...listen to what makes your heart sing and go with that. This sounds corny, but pay attention to your physiological responses when you look at the colors and feel the leathers.

Personally, my vote is for BJ, but that's because the blue color really lifts my spirits and fits my casual lifestyle. But you're the lucky lady who gets to decide if it affects you the same way!

Girls, I am TORN between Blue Jean and Gold. I prefer silver overall so it would be Gold with Palladium hardware or BJ with Palladium hardware. But I honestly can't choose! I can see myself getting bored with Gold as I like bright bags but then the BJ, maybe it's too light.
Also, I loved the Evergraine and Swift leathers. But now I'm worried they won't stand up to my ritualistic abuse (completely unintentional, I just don't baby my bags). I like slouchy bags- argh! This is really hard :sad:.

Which colours does Gold NOT go with? How about Blue Jean?
I can't tell you lovely ladies what a help you've been...this is such a big purchase for me and I know it's old hat to most of you but it's such a huge leap!

Get something you want now!!!!! Instant gratification, its impossible to think of the long run because your taste might change and you might get a craving for a different color!!
If its blue jean you want now, GET IT!!
because if you do get tired of it , its a Birkin, you can sell for practically what you paid for it, and then buy yourself a new one!!

of the 2 colours, gold vs BJ, i'd pick gold-- you may get "bored" of the colour once in a while BUT i can assure you that you will fall in love with it again after a while. I have a VN HAC (which has now patina-ed such that it almost looks like Gold) that i absolutely adore, sometimes when i find that when i need a pop of colour, i turn to my other brightly coloured non-Hermes bags! My Hermes bags (for now) are all very safe, neutral colours ("gold/tan" and black) because i don't have the luxury of purchasing another one for a long time to come, hence i picked classic colours that will go with anything and everything in my wardrobe.

Buuut at the end of the day, if u feel that BJ tugs at the heartstrings more, then go with that :yes:

It really depends on the kind of style you normally wear. I find myself using my ebene (chocolate) a lot because I wear a lot of dark suits and want to look very sober. I love my blue jean but only use it when I'm dressed casually on the weekends, which isn't very often. I've just gotten my gold/gold and I'm already thinking this bag might be for sober-dark-suit-workdays AND polished-casual-weekends. So I would totally go with Gold for my first Birkin.

If I may suggest, get a color like Etoupe or Bleu Brighton.. they're both unusual, but they're also easily matched with any color clothes. Once you settle the 1st Birkin issue, though, I bet you'll be hooked and would not want to wait to get your 2nd one soon!:biggrin:

Girls, I am TORN between Blue Jean and Gold. I prefer silver overall so it would be Gold with Palladium hardware or BJ with Palladium hardware. But I honestly can't choose! I can see myself getting bored with Gold as I like bright bags but then the BJ, maybe it's too light.
Also, I loved the Evergraine and Swift leathers. But now I'm worried they won't stand up to my ritualistic abuse (completely unintentional, I just don't baby my bags). I like slouchy bags- argh! This is really hard :sad:.

Which colours does Gold NOT go with? How about Blue Jean?
I can't tell you lovely ladies what a help you've been...this is such a big purchase for me and I know it's old hat to most of you but it's such a huge leap!

I don't baby my bags either...I was originally DYING for a turquoise bolide, but it's only available in the more rigid leathers. So since I just had to have togo or clemence ( my impression is that they can withstand everyday use more easily), I opted for BJ in togo.

I do think BJ is better suited for someone who generally dresses on the more casual side...I'm a capri/t- shirt/thong sandal girl 100%. If I had to dress up more or wear suits to work I would probably go with the gold with palladium hardware...yum!

i have to agree that gold (or even cognac, which works better with my skintone) would be a perfect "only" H bag. i think your SA may have had a good point about tiring of a color. i love my bright, colorful bags (granted, they aren't H), but i return to my black and gold/cognac bags year after year - i find i retire the colorful bags for a while after i've carried them for a bit. nothing wrong with that.....but if it's your one and only, i'd say you should get something you know you'll always come back to.