To the curly-haired girls!

I have a ton of thick, very wavy/curly red hair, and I actually wash my hair at night and sleep with it up. My hair behaves better if I don't blowdry right out of the shower. In the AM, I take it down (it's about 3/4 dry by this point) spritz it with water, put in some Sebastian Laminates Curl gel and blow dry. On humid days, I add Frederic Fekkai's Zero-humidity Frizz Control- it works great!

I'm addicted to Alterna's Caviar line of Moisture Shampoo & Conditioner. My hair loves it. It makes my curls beautiful. It's well worth the $$.

I use Philosophy Shear Splendor shampoo and the Anti-Aging Bio Peptide Conditioner. I also use Paul Mitchell Super Skinny. I straighten my hair most every day with a CHI straightener.

Where do you buy Curls Rock? Is it a salon product or a drug store product?

i have fairly long ringlet curls and live in a VERY hot and humid climate (especially this time of year - ick).

when i want to wear my hair curly, i use frederic fekkai luscious curls creme or l'oreal professional texture mousse and let my hair dry naturally - both protect against the frizzies very well, even in the summer.

wearing my hair straight is a little trickier. i use the same l'oreal mousse right when i get out of the shower (it has a heat protectant in it), blow dry my hair straight, and then spray it with Matrix flat iron heat-protecting spray. that helps to make the ironing go faster and stops it from damaging your hair so badly. i irony it in sections with a 1" CHI flat iron. when i'm done with that, i use Graham Webb shine serum to put moisture back into my hair (a little goes a long way with this stuff, it's my HG anti-flyaway stuff). before i go out, if i know it's hot and humid, i spray it with the L'Oreal Professional texture hairspray (also with heat protectant, in case i need to iron again later in the day). all in all, it takes me less than 20 minutes beginning-to-end, even though it sounds like a long process. the right product will get you a long way.

for shampoo and conditioner, almost any salon stuff will work - the chemicals in the drug store stuff build up in my hair and make the curls really limp, or they're not moisturizing enough and make it frizzy. i'm using L'Oreal professional for blonde hilights right now, i usually use Pureology.

edit: i know my hair looks frizzy in that first pic, but i don't have a better one! almost all of my pics are when my hair is curly. it's normally a lot smoother than that.

Attachments

• amanda7.jpg
    amanda7.jpg
    26 KB · Views: 117
  • amanda12.jpg
    amanda12.jpg
    8.7 KB · Views: 97
I have thick, curly, frizzy hair that I relax twice a year for more control. I usually opt for a salon blowout once a week but when I'm feeling lazy I use a clarifying shampoo (Pantene) along with Kerastase Masquintense 3 and a smoothing product depending on the weather. This is the best conditioner ever and always makes my hair soft and smooth.

Wintertime I run Kiehls Creme with Silk Groom thru my hair and let it air dry and in warmer weather I use Frederick Fekkai Glossing Cream.

I also use Carol's Daughter Mimosa Hair Honey or Optimum Care Creme hairdress to keep my hair from drying out.

After all the crap I put my hair thru I have to say it is in excellent condition esp. after my Japanese hair straightening treatment horror in 2004.

I use Paul Mitchell Round Trip which has good reviews in www.naturallycurly.com http://www.naturallycurly.com/tools2/index.php?id=1583

It was recommended by my stylist after I permed my hair.

My hair was straight before:

660187858_13a03f375b_m.jpg

I now look like this:
659453143_0c765ceebe_m.jpg

The best thing for sure if your hair is kinda dry and frizzy is Redken anti-snap...I swear by this stuff. I have dyed my hair every color and I have medium curly hair that just does what it wants. This stuff really helps alot

What do you use to keep your curls under control?

I've tried all different shampoos and conditioners and have found that the one that works best for me is Pantene Hydrating Curls. And it costs half of what some of the other shampoos I've tried have cost.

And after I wash my hair, Curls Rock saves my hair from looking like a big frizzball. (Except on days when it is 85 degrees and humid...nothing can save my hair then!)

Just curious what works for you ladies! :yes:

I use a line of products called Divacurl. These folks have a salon in NY but I belive you can buy their products elsewhere. You can look them up online. The name of the Salon is Devachan Salon and Departure Lounge. If you think there products are pricy keep in mind they don't recomend using there shampoo everyday and you can cut the conditioner with water. They have a book out that explains there phylosophy about care for curly hair. I think it's called the Curly Haired Girl...but I'm not sure. The book is listed on their website but can be bought at Barnes and Noble and Borders. At the very least if you have curly hair I suggest you read it. I was a sceptic but have been following their ritual for several years now and my hair has never been happier.
If there regiment is not for you Aveda makes a good line of products for curly hair as well.

i dont have curly hair, but i have wavy hair (from a 1-year-old perm soon-to-be redone !! =DD )
i used to use marc anthony's curl lotion. it works pretty great and smells great. after it dries a bit, pantene's hydrating curls mentioned below is pretty awesome. no crunchiness!

i have a lot of naturally wavy/curly coarse hair and the only thing i've repurchased for my curls is the paul mitchell sculpting foam. when my hair is very wet still, i put the foam in, scrunch or twist in sections, then i follow with a couple spritzes of a sea salt spray. a few minutes under the diffuser, and that keeps my waves/curls looking and feeling soft all day!

I'm a little late to the party, but what is "sea salt spray"?

I have naturally curly and VERY thick color-treated hair (damn grays.) The owner of the salon who cuts my hair has recently been selling AG products, and while I'm using Pureology shampoo and conditioner (AWESOMELY HYDRATING!) when I get out of the shower I mix together the AG fast food (leave-in conditioner) and AG re:coil (curl enhancer.)

I was really into the straight, sleek look for about a year or two, and I had my hair professionally straightened with the CHI system, used their products and flat-iron, etc. My hair was SO fried and unhealthy, and it had this weird smell to it ALL THE TIME. I ended up hating it and couldn't wait until it was all grown out. Now I'm short(er) and naturally curly and it feels right finally.

I heard that you're only supposed to shampoo your hair 2-3x a week....

now what about the product in your hair...if you don't wash it out w/shampoo doesnt it get all sticky?

does anyone do this.....I would like to not wash it everyday....