To reglaze or not to reglaze my wallet

Damemike

Nov 20, 2014
Hi ladies, I very recently bought preloved florin wallet. Had it authenticated here by the ever helpful lee and addy, and got it heat stamped. But it had a problem, the glazing on the corners are wearing off so the red linings are visible, the glazing on the whole top part of the wallet has peeled of as well the only thing holding it together is the stitching. My SA told me it would cost about 135$ to reglaze it which is exactly the same amount of money I payed for the wallet.

The question is is it worth it to reglaze it? Or rather just keep the money to fund another wallet later on. And after reading the story of poor quality of the glazing on wallets, and how some people have to get it reglazed again after short time of using it I'm not sure what to do. 135$ is quite a big amount for me right now. Thanks for any input ;)ImageUploadedByPurseForum1440408688.811774.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1440408705.076701.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1440408719.211616.jpgImageUploadedByPurseForum1440408731.111645.jpg

Personally, but I would not buy a pre-loved wallet with wear and tear I could not live with...I don't want to spend repair cost for a pre-loved item...don't get me wrong, I do buy pre-loved bags myself, some in not so perfect condition but good enough for daily use without having to worry...

I'm on the same boat as well. My one year old DE French wallet need to be reglazed (just 2 corners). I bought it from the boutique . I will bring it back there on Wednesday. If it costs too much to fix, I will buy another wallet... I'm a bit annoyed that i need to fix an one year old wallet... I didnt abuse the wallet either. It looks brand new still.

Hi OP, yes you need to re-glaze again and again (unless you're lucky).
I think you should just save your money for a new wallet.

My monogram canvas billfold needs re-glazing as well as my de french wallet, it will be my 2nd time to re-glaze if I do. My last re-glazing was 2011...I rarely used the billfold after that, it was just in its protective cloth (coz I was just at home after giving birth 2012 ) but the glazing started peeling off the sides. I'm just using it now (monthly rotation with my other wallets) even with the loose/hanging glaze :nogood:

I agree it's a hard choice to make. I recently just decided to not sell my Sarah wallet bc it is my first piece and over 10 years old. So I decided to get some stitching re-done and held off on the glazing. She said the re-glazing and the stitching would be 340.00 dollars. I decided to just get it re stitched and that alone was 190.00. It's kind of unbelievable how much they charge, but at least I get to keep my Sarah. I think you'd be happy if you got it done. Hopefully it should last a while.

How much would a brand new wallet be? Basically you have two options:
1) keep the wallet, and reglaze it, so you'd have sunk about $135x2 into it at that point, then you have to add to reglazings needed in the future, but those are negligible for the sake of this argument since a brand new wallet needs to be reglazed too at some point.

2) you keep and use the wallet for now, but don't reglaze it, which will most likely ruin the canvas at some point. Instead you save the $135 you didn't spend on getting it reglazed towards a new wallet at a later point.

What you chose to go for is up to you, the condition of the wallet and your financial situation, but even if you do buy a new wallet in a few years from now, you still need to budget for reglazing every 1-3 years depending on wear. My personal two cent is that your wallet looks good based on the picture you posted, so for $350 total you'll have a wallet that will serve you well for many years to come.

Unfortunately glazing is a reality of owning certain canvas products, but I remember a tpfer compared it to maintenance - we wouldn't buy a ferrari and not expect there to be expensive maintenance down the road, would we? I just sent my wallet in for reglazing after owning it for 3 years, and I should probably have done it last year or six months ago, because it was starting to fray which can make some LV boutiques... difficult in whether to accept it for repair or not, but thankfully mine did.

How much would a brand new wallet be? Basically you have two options:
1) keep the wallet, and reglaze it, so you'd have sunk about $135x2 into it at that point, then you have to add to reglazings needed in the future, but those are negligible for the sake of this argument since a brand new wallet needs to be reglazed too at some point.

2) you keep and use the wallet for now, but don't reglaze it, which will most likely ruin the canvas at some point. Instead you save the $135 you didn't spend on getting it reglazed towards a new wallet at a later point.

What you chose to go for is up to you, the condition of the wallet and your financial situation, but even if you do buy a new wallet in a few years from now, you still need to budget for reglazing every 1-3 years depending on wear. My personal two cent is that your wallet looks good based on the picture you posted, so for $350 total you'll have a wallet that will serve you well for many years to come.

Unfortunately glazing is a reality of owning certain canvas products, but I remember a tpfer compared it to maintenance - we wouldn't buy a ferrari and not expect there to be expensive maintenance down the road, would we? I just sent my wallet in for reglazing after owning it for 3 years, and I should probably have done it last year or six months ago, because it was starting to fray which can make some LV boutiques... difficult in whether to accept it for repair or not, but thankfully mine did.

Thank you so much for your input, I ended up bringing it to the LV store to get reglazed. I still think they charge too much just for reglazing, it's not like they have to take it apart right [emoji6]. My other non lv wallet has never had these glazing problem but then again they don't last as long, and as you said it's like maintenance lol

I agree it's a hard choice to make. I recently just decided to not sell my Sarah wallet bc it is my first piece and over 10 years old. So I decided to get some stitching re-done and held off on the glazing. She said the re-glazing and the stitching would be 340.00 dollars. I decided to just get it re stitched and that alone was 190.00. It's kind of unbelievable how much they charge, but at least I get to keep my Sarah. I think you'd be happy if you got it done. Hopefully it should last a while.

Yeah I did, now the part of waiting for it to come back [emoji1]. I hope there will be no problem

Does this happen with other brands of wallets or is it just
LV wallets? I have never had a problem with my older Coach wallets, they have lasted for years.

Well I saw it happens with a couple other brands but I think LV is the one with most glazing problem. Mind you the canvas is basically indestructible and looks good as the first day, I have a couple of older coach wallet that looks very beat up after a few months of use so I guess that's the trade off

I'm on the same boat as well. My one year old DE French wallet need to be reglazed (just 2 corners). I bought it from the boutique . I will bring it back there on Wednesday. If it costs too much to fix, I will buy another wallet... I'm a bit annoyed that i need to fix an one year old wallet... I didnt abuse the wallet either. It looks brand new still.

I know right, DE is very tough! This one is from 2008 so I guess it's normal wear and tear, but lately glazing on new lv item is just abysmal. I saw a multiple wallet from the v collection, the glazing is so thin!!! Considering the price hike they do every year at least they have to make this right[emoji35]

Thank you so much for your input, I ended up bringing it to the LV store to get reglazed. I still think they charge too much just for reglazing, it's not like they have to take it apart right [emoji6]. My other non lv wallet has never had these glazing problem but then again they don't last as long, and as you said it's like maintenance lol
They do have to take certain parts of the wallet apart to reglaze it.

I know right, DE is very tough! This one is from 2008 so I guess it's normal wear and tear, but lately glazing on new lv item is just abysmal. I saw a multiple wallet from the v collection, the glazing is so thin!!! Considering the price hike they do every year at least they have to make this right[emoji35]
The glazing is so thin on my new Billfold that the edges literally feel rough and there's not even enough glazing to cover the entire edge. Some parts look like they have no glazing on them and this is a brand new wallet.

Don't worry, your wallet will come back looking brand new! :biggrin:

The glazing is so thin on my new Billfold that the edges literally feel rough and there's not even enough glazing to cover the entire edge. Some parts look like they have no glazing on them and this is a brand new wallet.

They do have to take certain parts of the wallet apart to reglaze it.

Don't worry, your wallet will come back looking brand new! :biggrin:

Really?? Mine is a florin and I can't imagine how they would take it apart to reglaze it [emoji38], the only thing I hope is they would glue the edges so it doesn't look like its peeling when the glazing came off.

I'm sorry to hear about your billfold, isn't it weird of all the things they skimp on the have to skip glazing? Lol I doubt it barely cost them anything yet it's the very thing that's holding these wallets up.

Crossing my fingers!![emoji6]