Tips for people getting surgery alone?

If you're worried about going outside with a cast one, don't be! It's super normal and in my experience, no one blinked an eye. Especially if you're in Gangnam. I'd recommend looking up things to do before you get there, so you're not floundering after the operation. Also, get pumpkin juice!!! You can get it at most pharmacies around the main PS hospitals in Korea. I tried looking for them in mainstream supermarkets but they didn't seem to have them. Good luck!

in Seoul, especially Gangnam area, most people will NOT stare at you. When you are your most bruised, swollen, head wrap etc — YOU are probably most self conscious. I was self conscious and then quickly realized people do not care And they are not going to bother you. I rode several elevators with other people. Nothing. I had One elevator trip and I thought the guy was going to ask me something, but the ride ended. At hotels, I think the workers might even be directed not to look at you directly, especially not to stare if you are a surgery patient. People seem to take a mental note and then just quickly move on. Oh, person just had surgery… that’s it. I wore my facelift head strap on the plane. Nobody cared.
Hi figjamm, I had read some of your post. Do you might I'm asking some question? How was it to travel back on the plane? Because I'm thinking to travel alone if it's possible for more then 15 hours :smile:

Hi figjamm, I had read some of your post. Do you might I'm asking some question? How was it to travel back on the plane? Because I'm thinking to travel alone if it's possible for more then 15 hours :smile:
It was not bad but I did think in Theo airport “wow this is an exhausting hassle. Never doing this again!”

The flight was ok. Get a GOOD head rest thing (the neck pillow). Plan your food out; you will want to avoid salty airplane food but stay healthy. I wore my face strap from the surgery. No nobody gave me any long looks.

I guess it depends on how many days post op. I think I was 11 or 12 post facelift/endotibe forehead lift

Reactions: weewee
The hardest scariest part is immediately post op, getting to your accommodation. In my view. You are vulnerable. Thankfully it’s a pretty safe country and I think they dont want to mess with medical tourism

Reactions: weewee
I had revision rhinoplasty and it was enough for me to travel alone. On the day I went home after the surgery, the clinic helped me book a taxi and ordered the food I needed, so it was okay. The first two days were difficult, but there were no problems from the third day.

@cw1226 Hope you're healing well! I did eyes (not nose) about 2 months ago and at first I also felt self-conscious, but honestly I wore a mask, bucket/baseball hat and glasses (felt sunglasses would be overkill) and honestly no one gave a ****, even when I took my mask down to eat food at restaurants. Since you only did your nose I feel a mask would cover most of the bandages!

I think in Seoul at least enough people are familiar with plastic surgery that they don't really care, like I was telling my hotel's receptionist I needed extra pillows because I had surgery and he was like "yeah, yeah, I can tell, it's no big deal" lol.

And you can pick up pumpkin juice from any pharmacy, they're usually on the 1st floor of most clinics in Seoul and sell them in pouches by the case :smile:
Please where did you stay? I am looking to book a place

@cw1226 Hope you're healing well! I did eyes (not nose) about 2 months ago and at first I also felt self-conscious, but honestly I wore a mask, bucket/baseball hat and glasses (felt sunglasses would be overkill) and honestly no one gave a ****, even when I took my mask down to eat food at restaurants. Since you only did your nose I feel a mask would cover most of the bandages!

I think in Seoul at least enough people are familiar with plastic surgery that they don't really care, like I was telling my hotel's receptionist I needed extra pillows because I had surgery and he was like "yeah, yeah, I can tell, it's no big deal" lol.

And you can pick up pumpkin juice from any pharmacy, they're usually on the 1st floor of most clinics in Seoul and sell them in pouches by the case :smile:
Hihi, able to share what you ate after surgery? I’m going for BA and will be alone, wanna stock up before the surgery in case I’m too weak 😅

Hihi, able to share what you ate after surgery? I’m going for BA and will be alone, wanna stock up before the surgery in case I’m too weak 😅
I know it's tempting, but avoid sodium. Before and after surgery - alcohol likewise. I know a Californian surgeon who's definitely done the faces of anyone you've seen if you've watched prestige TV, and they are adamant about not ingesting salt before surgery as swelling will affect how precisely the surgeon can work on the cartilage, bone, etc itself if swelling is exacerbating this.

other tips -
protein is key for healing. yes, it's difficult to ingest protein if you're talking facial surgery, but... this may be a case where you'll have to put dignity aside & blend unsalted chicken, tuna cans, etc like baby food. i have a friend who did this, had an awesome result & I followed suit, and I don't regret it.
avoid milk products and straws. milk can heighten mucus production (also a note from another well-regarded PS). if you've had, like, body surgery, this is irrelevant, but for facial surgeries...yeah.
everything everyone has said about it being totally chill to wear a hat, mask and sunglasses when you're ok to walk is true. apkujeong is full of ppl sporting the after-surgery look and no one blinks an eye, so shop and people-watch to your heart's content!

I work adjacent to an industry which places emphasis on appearance (being vague, sorry!) and am subject to such requirements myself. also, I like looking elegant and pretty -- superficial like that!

Reactions: new_dev
I know it's tempting, but avoid sodium. Before and after surgery - alcohol likewise. I know a Californian surgeon who's definitely done the faces of anyone you've seen if you've watched prestige TV, and they are adamant about not ingesting salt before surgery as swelling will affect how precisely the surgeon can work on the cartilage, bone, etc itself if swelling is exacerbating this.

other tips -
protein is key for healing. yes, it's difficult to ingest protein if you're talking facial surgery, but... this may be a case where you'll have to put dignity aside & blend unsalted chicken, tuna cans, etc like baby food. i have a friend who did this, had an awesome result & I followed suit, and I don't regret it.
avoid milk products and straws. milk can heighten mucus production (also a note from another well-regarded PS). if you've had, like, body surgery, this is irrelevant, but for facial surgeries...yeah.
everything everyone has said about it being totally chill to wear a hat, mask and sunglasses when you're ok to walk is true. apkujeong is full of ppl sporting the after-surgery look and no one blinks an eye, so shop and people-watch to your heart's content!

I work adjacent to an industry which places emphasis on appearance (being vague, sorry!) and am subject to such requirements myself. also, I like looking elegant and pretty -- superficial like that!
Thankyou for the tips!! I’ll def stock up tuna cans when I’m there! Everyone says pumpkin is good for healing too, so it’s on my list as well.

How long should I avoid sodium for? Even till the stitches are removed?

Thankyou for the tips!! I’ll def stock up tuna cans when I’m there! Everyone says pumpkin is good for healing too, so it’s on my list as well.

How long should I avoid sodium for? Even till the stitches are removed?
I would say avoid high sodium content at least 24-48 hours before your surgery. A little bit of sodium in food is inevitable, so don't worry too much, but maybe for a month after your surgery, stay away from high sodium foods so you can de-swell at a faster pace.

If you do eat something super spicy or salty after surgery by accident, it's not the end of the world, it just means you're going to swell up a little bit more. The general consensus amongst the consultants I talked to was that foods that are a little salty are fine to eat. By avoiding salty and spicy foods, I think the consultants and clinics just mean avoiding restaurant meals that you know for a fact are being coated in layers of peppers and/or soy sauce. OR avoiding any processed salty foods/snacks (like chips).

Reactions: new_dev
I'm going to South Korea for the first time for an upcoming procedure. Feeling a bit nervous for the procedure but I'm even more nervous on how to get around, especially figuring out how to get from Incheon airport to Gangnam. Does anyone have any pointers or guides on how to navigate this?

I'm going to South Korea for the first time for an upcoming procedure. Feeling a bit nervous for the procedure but I'm even more nervous on how to get around, especially figuring out how to get from Incheon airport to Gangnam. Does anyone have any pointers or guides on how to navigate this?
Same!! When would u be arriving? I saw there’s AREX trains

i always do it alone. its no problem. I actually prefer doing it alone than with someone else. When im all swollen and recovering, i prefer to be super low key, wear my face mask go out shopping and trying street food/restaurants then coming home and chill. Im not in a social mood nor am i talkative whilst recovering, because well.....most of the time i just wanna sleep lol. I've done pretty much every procedure you can imagine too: zygoma, mandible, fat graft, double eyelid, rhino, concentric malar lift, smas lift, breast, bbl, lower blehpharoplasty, elasticum neck lift etc etc etc. Never had any issues taking care of myself. Just stock up your fridge for the first 2 -3 days post op. thats all
I am extremely antisocial for those first 2-3 days past op as well as well so I completely understand this. Recovery can be an uncomfortable process and sometimes having others around really makes it so much harder to get the rest you need. I think as long as someone else or an emergency contact knows what you're going through just as a precaution, people should be fine to recover on their own.