Tiffany vs. Cartier- why do you favor one over the other?

Well the questions is which one does one prefer, not which one is more high end. So my answer is, I prefer Tiffany. I just like the designs better, and I find them more wearable.

Cartier also has many beautiful pieces and is definitely more high end. I like their watches, and the Love and trinity collection. But most of their other stuff I find are too much for me.

But from my experience, Cartier does have better customer service. Tiffanys if you go upstairs to the bridal section you will also receive excellent service. But on the ground floor it really varies from store to store.

Reactions: HeartHermes
I am a Tiffany girl. I was drawn to the brand a long time ago because of the classic Tiffany ring. I got the ring a few years back, with a Tiffany band and I can't be happier. I like their diamond jewelry, not so much of their gold or silver.

Cartier has nice items too but they are just not my cup of tea.

I like shopping at Tiffany for the same reason I'd prefer to buy an LV purse (or Marc Jacobs, etc.) from Nordstrom rather than Neiman's. At least at the store I go to, my SA is extremely friendly, approachable and knowledgeable, and I can just pop in to look on any old day "as I am" without any pressure. The price points are such that I can purchase a couple of very nice items a year, too. I've never been in a Cartier, VCA or Graff boutique, but I can only imagine I'd have to go in dressed to the nines or experience some major attitude (or just be ignored). The guard at the front door looks ominous. I also don't have $20-40K a couple times a year to drop on jewelry.

If I was a multi-millionaire, and money was no object, I'd love to go to Graff for an ering. I've walked by their store before and their rings are just gorgeous.

I did look online at the Cartier erings previously, back before I got engaged. Other than their "exceptional rings" (again, I am sure completely out of my price range), none of their other settings did much for me. I do like the Tiffany 6 prong better than the 1895.

Reactions: USCGirlie
Interesting topic. :smile:
Around 5, 6 years ago, I used to love Tiffany. I was so excited when I first received the Elsa Peretti diamond full heart ring. The ring was so special and meaningful to me because back then nothing was under $200, buying a Tiffany piece wasn't as affordable as it is now, especially I was a student then. I loved Tiffany back then, as it was all about quality and not quantity, hence I still cherish my ring so much up to this day because it was well made.Now that they offer jewelry that are marketed as "under $100" or "under $200", I think it's great Tiffany tries to reach a broader group of clientele by offering different price ranges, but on the other hand I'm very disappointed at the quality in the silver. The new designs are made so thin (which means to me skimping on material), even with its Tiffany stamp, I would not want to spend my money on any Tiffany pieces anymore. Their designs are not inspiring or interesting anymore when they are consistently pumping out new collection with a set price range in mind.

Although I have not yet bought any Cartier piece (which I hope to break soon!), I have definitely shifted my interest to Cartier and Van Cleefs, or even Boucheron. I admire the fact they stand firm on their marketing strategy to keep their brand prestigious. I think they must be very proud of the quality in their products to be so firm, or you can say arrogant. But if one day these brands decide to sacrifice quality to make maximum profit, I think I would lose interest in them as well, no matter how much a megabrand they are.

I still love the good old days when owning one good quality jewelry piece beats a whole box full of so-so stuff.

Reactions: NZM
I prefer Tiffany to Cartier but only because most of Cartier's designs don't appeal to me. That said, I love my mini rolling ring from Cartier but that is really the only thing I would want from there. But really it's a personal choice - both jewelers have quality products.

Tiffany has my heart I guess... :smile:

I have a question to all of those people who say they like Cartier. You say you like Cartier because a majority of people can't really afford it unless they save up for it, but could it be because you feel better about yourself that you can afford something someone else can't?

I'm not calling anyone out as being shallow or anything, it is just a valid question. People say they don't like Tiffany's anymore because "anyone" can afford it. Does that mean the only reason that people like Cartier is because not everyone can afford it? Does that make you feel better about yourself? Do you feel more superior to others because you CAN afford Cartier , while many people cannot?

Once again I'm not saying this to offend anyone, I just want to know how people really feel.

I have a question to all of those people who say they like Cartier. You say you like Cartier because a majority of people can't really afford it unless they save up for it, but could it be because you feel better about yourself that you can afford something someone else can't?

I'm not calling anyone out as being shallow or anything, it is just a valid question. People say they don't like Tiffany's anymore because "anyone" can afford it. Does that mean the only reason that people like Cartier is because not everyone can afford it? Does that make you feel better about yourself? Do you feel more superior to others because you CAN afford Cartier , while many people cannot?

Once again I'm not saying this to offend anyone, I just want to know how people really feel.

I'm the odd person here, because I like some Tiffany pieces and some Cartier pieces. I really don't have a favorite, though I lean slighly toward Cartier. The last thing on my mind when I buy jewelry is the perception of the brand by society at large. I don't much care if the 'reputation' of Tiffany silver is for teenagers.

Ironically, I prefer Tiffany's sterling designs to their platinum and 18k offerings. I generally like big pieces, and Tiffany's platinum and 18k tend to be on the more delicate side. Their sterling tends to be bolder. I do like some Elsa Peretti designs for T, so there are always exceptions to the rule.

I like many of Cartier's bracelets, and I love the Trinity collection, especially the bangles and earrings. I'm not a fan of the Love bracelet -- it looks very 1970s to me. Of course that dates me, because many on tPF weren't even born during that era, let alone remember it.

Overall I'd have to say Bulgari have the designs that most appeals to me.

I prefer Cartier to Tiffany's because of the customer service experience; at Tiffany's I have usually been treated poorly even though though I am looking to buy. Popularity and brand appeal don't have bearing on what I buy; I just buy what I like.

Before I located the Cartier picture thread and actually had a grasp on what Cartier is like (they don't have a shop near where I live) I didn't really have an opinion. After having a look, I kind of think it is like comparing apples and oranges. They really are two very different things. Cartier is really beautiful - but the jewellery is often wide/or "chunky" (but in an elegant way). I prefer Tiffany but only because I have to. Boyfriend assumed that because I like the movie Breakfast at Tiffany's and Audrey Hepburn that it translates into a love of "Tiffany's". Before he bestowed me with an engagement ring I had never see anything Tiffany's, or cared. On the day he got my engagement ring we were walking past Tiffany's and he asked me if I wanted to go in for a look. I didn't. I just found it amusing that we were having breakfast opposite Tiffany's. Dang, I wish I had known what he was up to! Stupid me for not querying why a boy would volunteer himself for jewellery shopping? Really stupid now I think back but I was pretty tired at the time!

Anyhew... Tiffany's seems to be mostly very small and delicate pieces, pieces that make you go "I am paying WHAT for this?!" but 10 years ago I was right into small delicate things and I wish we had the Tiffany's shop back then!

As I've gotten older I've realized that Tiffanys, to me, is like Louis Vuitton. Although it's a luxury brand it is quite accessible and I don't care for that. I like to have things that not everyone has and are more "exclusive".

kbella86 I know what you mean - (off topic) one of my friends has a Louis Vuitton bag and I can't understand why, they are so heavily copied not to mention I usually see at least two of them each time I shop in the city!

Although I can't afford the luxury of enjoying a brand that is less "accessible"! And my jewellery wish list isn't all that discerning, I just like what looks good to me...