Tiffany & Co. Color By The Yard (CBTY)?

Nov 14, 2012
I've been considering getting something small from Tiffany & Co. in the near future (because it was my grandmother's tradition every Holiday Season) and this year I'm considering the Color By The Yard collection.

Could those of you lucky ladies who have CBTY items please post modeling shots and/or photos of your CBTY pieces?

Right now, the Tanzanite necklace or earrings are the first items on my wish list, but I'm open to seeing a little bit of everything!! ;)

I'm also browsing the DBTY threads, so DBTY pictures are welcome, too! :graucho:

Not so long ago I purchased the tanzanite CBTY pendant online, via the tiffany site and expected the blue to be a deep shade as it looks online. I don't have a store near me unfortunately. When it arrived I could hardly even see any blue at all in it so it went back as this was not what I was after and I thought if it's going to be colourless I might as well get the DBTY. So that's the plan anyway.... Soon hopefully!
I should have taken a photo of it but didn't.

I had the same problem with the Tiffany Tanzanite. I went into the store and wanted to get the Elsa Peretti DBTY earrings. I first purchased a diamond one and then wanted something in color. I saw the Tanzanite online and it was such a beautiful deep color that I asked my SA to order it for me. When I received it, it was nothing like in the pictures. It was so pale that you couldn't even make out the color. I was really disappointed. I took it back to the store and showed it to my SA. Even she was shocked. She told me she could order it again and specify dark color, but I didn't want to take a chance and have to go back to the store again to return another one.

Wow! Thank you for the replies, everyone!

I was definitely choosing the Tanzanite for the deep, purple-blue color, as I wanted something that would stand out against the metal and my skin. Guess Tanzanite is NOT the choice, if the stone everyone is receiving is very pale and colorless!

While I've heard that the pink sapphire is a very bright colored stone, I've never been much of a "pink person".

I do love the Tsavorite... but I have so much pink in my skin tone that I'm not sure how a green stone in white metal would look on me...

Now what do I do?!

Wow! Thank you for the replies, everyone!

I was definitely choosing the Tanzanite for the deep, purple-blue color, as I wanted something that would stand out against the metal and my skin. Guess Tanzanite is NOT the choice, if the stone everyone is receiving is very pale and colorless!

While I've heard that the pink sapphire is a very bright colored stone, I've never been much of a "pink person".

I do love the Tsavorite... but I have so much pink in my skin tone that I'm not sure how a green stone in white metal would look on me...

Now what do I do?!

Diamonds, silly! :P lol

diamonds, silly! :P lol

LOL!! Such an enabler!!

Well... that does mean that I'll have to bump my budget a little, but...

Is the silver DBTY worth it? I don't wear a lot of silver. I always spring for gold. While I would LOVE to own platinum, that's quite a jump from silver. *ponders* Decisions, decisions...

I'm still a bit disappointed that the tanzanite isn't as dark and beautiful as it is on the Tiffany website. I really had my heart set on that color, as 90% of my wardrobe is blue, black or grey... and a dark stone like that would have been LOVELY!

Is it possible for you to wait a little to get a diamond platinum DBTY? even if its tiny- they sparkle like mad. I think its well worth the wait!

Oh, it's definitely possible. I may end up doing this.

I don't own any white metal jewelry at the moment, which is why I wanted to test the waters with the CBTY, but I keep seeing people's platinum pieces and thinking about how the white metal is pretty with the diamond. I usually wear yellow or rose gold because my skin tone is very fair with very pink undertones. But I would be willing to make an exception for Tiffany DBTY.

LOL!! Such an enabler!!

Well... that does mean that I'll have to bump my budget a little, but...

Is the silver DBTY worth it? I don't wear a lot of silver. I always spring for gold. While I would LOVE to own platinum, that's quite a jump from silver. *ponders* Decisions, decisions...

I'm still a bit disappointed that the tanzanite isn't as dark and beautiful as it is on the Tiffany website. I really had my heart set on that color, as 90% of my wardrobe is blue, black or grey... and a dark stone like that would have been LOVELY!

This is me exactly!!! I decided to save up a bit more, up the budget and go for platinum. Ideally I'd like the 0.21 platinum... we'll see

This is me exactly!!! I decided to save up a bit more, up the budget and go for platinum. Ideally I'd like the 0.21 platinum... we'll see

LOL I'm not quite as patient as you are... I would happily settle for the .08ct platinum, just for a little bit of sparkle. ;)

I may spring for some small platinum earrings to match, maybe for my birthday in the summer, as I won't have any jewelry pieces to go with a platinum necklace. (My every day earrings are the 0.14ct rose gold DBTY pair I received last Christmas... I only have RG or YG rings and only YG necklaces.)

Time to sell off old stuff on eBay to raise some funds!! :lol:

Reactions: vinpensa
Ok just noticed my typo... I meant the 0.12! That's enough for me I think! The 0.08 would do me nicely too though.
Have you considered a yellow or rose gold DBTY if that's the metal colour you would usually wear?