ThredUp Selling - Luxe

Did anyone notice that ThredUP is now selling “rejects” aka items that they take from people without paying them? It rubs me the wrong way, personally.

I did not know this. This rubs me the wrong way too. My understanding was that items they did not “accept” are donated, unless you paid up front to have them returned.

That is the purpose of me to send to ThredUP in the first place; to make some money on items I would usually donate. If they are essentially just going to take them, I would rather donate them.

Reactions: youngster
Did anyone notice that ThredUP is now selling “rejects” aka items that they take from people without paying them? It rubs me the wrong way, personally.
I have seen that. It does seem slightly off that they are selling them without compensating the original owner. On the other hand, it's possible that this stuff is in such bad shape that another thrift store (goodwill or whatnot) doesn't want it, and they would have to pay dispose of it (industrial scale garbage disposal), so this helps them recoup some of those costs and not put it in a landfill. The descriptions for the rejects say some of it can be in bad shape. And they do sell it very very low.

Oh, it looks like some of the items are things they had listed a while and just didn't sell. So they would have paid the original sender for those items.

"Each haul contains items that didn’t make the cut, or we’ve listed for a while and are now overstocked..."

Oh, it looks like some of the items are things they had listed a while and just didn't sell. So they would have paid the original sender for those items.

"Each haul contains items that didn’t make the cut, or we’ve listed for a while and are now overstocked..."

It's the "items that didn't make the cut" that bother me.

As in "They didn't make the cut for us to pay the owner for them, but we are selling them anyway." I don't think it's a good look for a company that has tons of complaints for them taking clothing without fair compensation.

I don't agree with the idea that they are selling garbage that is so bad they couldn't get anyone else to take it, they are obviously selling profitable items that they are getting/taking for free.

Reactions: BeenBurned
It's the "items that didn't make the cut" that bother me.

As in "They didn't make the cut for us to pay the owner for them, but we are selling them anyway." I don't think it's a good look for a company that has tons of complaints for them taking clothing without fair compensation.

I don't agree with the idea that they are selling garbage that is so bad they couldn't get anyone else to take it, they are obviously selling profitable items that they are getting/taking for free.

Yes, to that extent, this was probably not a well thought out move.

I noticed two cool things today:
(1) You can go back to your old thredup bags and see how much they paid you for each item. This was fun going back to see how little they paid me for some items and will be useful for the future (a longchamp cuir crossbody back only had a $30 payout - ridiculous)
(2) If you sent you Luxe bag before 8/17 you don't qualify for the new upfront payout option. One change we can take advantage of is that the payout changes if you adjust your price up. For example, they priced my shoes in the $200 range with was 80% payout. I increased it to over $300 before the change and it stayed at 80%. I just lowered my price a little bit (still over $300) and then my payout switched from 80% to 90%!!! I was shocked to see the little jump and I'm glad I changed the price. So if you ladies increased prices before the new policy, update the price so your payout changes!

I noticed two cool things today:
(1) You can go back to your old thredup bags and see how much they paid you for each item. This was fun going back to see how little they paid me for some items and will be useful for the future (a longchamp cuir crossbody back only had a $30 payout - ridiculous)
(2) If you sent you Luxe bag before 8/17 you don't qualify for the new upfront payout option. One change we can take advantage of is that the payout changes if you adjust your price up. For example, they priced my shoes in the $200 range with was 80% payout. I increased it to over $300 before the change and it stayed at 80%. I just lowered my price a little bit (still over $300) and then my payout switched from 80% to 90%!!! I was shocked to see the little jump and I'm glad I changed the price. So if you ladies increased prices before the new policy, update the price so your payout changes!
On the flip side though, if you reduce your price try to sell something faster, you might fall into a lower payout percentage bucket. :sad: Definitely disincentive to mark things down.

Has anybody had the issue that the did not return your original shoe boxes when you reclaimed shoes? My shoes were new with box and now I don’t have them anymore. Did you have luck getting them back or getting paid for them? I’m really upset about it. I have previously received my shoe boxes back so I’m surprised they didn’t return them this time.

Reactions: Annie J
Has anybody had the issue that the did not return your original shoe boxes when you reclaimed shoes? My shoes were new with box and now I don’t have them anymore. Did you have luck getting them back or getting paid for them? I’m really upset about it. I have previously received my shoe boxes back so I’m surprised they didn’t return them this time.

Yes.
One pair I sent was technically NIB but they had to list them as gently used since they had a scratch. They didn't sell so I reclaimed them, but they had thrown out the box. I complained and they asked me to send the shoes back to them to sell at the same price so I wouldn't lose money. Since they were a popular style I thought it was a fluke/seasonality thing that they didn't sell, so I did send them back.

However I also sent them a bag NWT and dustbag, it's a lesser known designer and wasn't getting much traction on ThredUp so I decided to reclaim and try to sell on other sites. When I got it back the tags and dustbag were gone. When I complained they tried to get me to send it back again but I said I did not want to send this back because I didn't think the designer had a following on the site, and I wanted compensation for the diminution in resale value. They did give me a payout for an approx equivalent of the reduction in what I could sell it for on my own.

So you should definitely report the issue. The Luxe team wants the consignors to be happy but they clearly need to constantly be on top of the warehouse to take better care of our stuff. They also sent me back a NWT herve leger dress with a big black stain on it. First they asked me to have that dry cleaned but when I had it dry cleaned twice and the stain didn't come out, they agreed to accept it back and paying me out for it. So they're going to try to take the less expensive route for them first but if you are reasonable and persist you should get compensated. They told me they are talking to the warehouse about treatment of the Luxe items, but I really think they need reiteration.

I just got two pairs back with the boxes but with giant ThredUP stickers on them [emoji849] Good to have the boxes but they’re kind of ruined. I have an ongoing list of things to email them about and it’s on it for sure.

Has anyone else still been having problems with their items being hoarded on reserve even with the new commit to buy feature? I feel like the items just end up getting hidden when they are hoarded because people don't go to check the box to see items in other people's carts.

Yes, yes, yes ... I have had a couple of items reserved constantly for weeks and now the listing period is ending and I will have to reclaim them. Huge waste of time.
I complained that this is still a problem and said they should ban consecutive hold periods, and they told me they have in the past blocked certain hoarders from re-adding things to their cart but they just opened a new account to add it from that. I don't get ppl. They just want a fantasy reserve cart of items they're never going to buy?

Also I don't see why TU is not more motivated to fix this issue as not only are we wasting our time but they are losing out on commissions from items not selling.