This Old Bag

Hi HH and glad you're back....Life can be so hard sometimes...it is great to have a fun place with lovely cyber friends to come to! Sorry about what you've gone through....

My bags aren't quite that "old"...so I don't have pics....but I do love to think about the history of the bags...and I enjoy learning little bits about the ones I do have! A couple I have acquired have come in a roundabout way from a couple of gals on the PF (without me having bought directly from them...)

Perja said:
{{{HUGS}}}

Now, re: bags. I have an old Hermes pochette, I just have to remember to take pictures. I have to take it in for a clean and condition because the box leather is being weird.

thank you!
please elaborate on box. i am fascinated by box leather, by the way. i read in an earlier post about box leather that a lot of the fear of rain is nearly urban legend because, naturally, who the heck wants to find out the hard way how it responds. but gigi i believe, recommended the 3M cloth and said she has worn her box bag in the rain and while she was careful... well, rain happens and she didn't think her bag was any worse off for the wear. so so interesting.

shoes319 said:
Hi HH and glad you're back....Life can be so hard sometimes...it is great to have a fun place with lovely cyber friends to come to! Sorry about what you've gone through....

My bags aren't quite that "old"...so I don't have pics....but I do love to think about the history of the bags...and I enjoy learning little bits about the ones I do have! A couple I have acquired have come in a roundabout way from a couple of gals on the PF (without me having bought directly from them...)

yes, funny coincidence (or maybe not funny or a coincidence) that i'm thinking about old ladies right at this moment. :flowers:

HG, I love your avatar!

Ok, I will give a report on my black box Kelly without a picture.

It is approximately 15 years old and looks brand spanking new. I have carried it through much rain and a light snow storm...my kids have handled it...I carry by the handle/a few times by the strap...sometimes my hubby hugs the whole bag under his arm to hold it for me.

I see absolutely no changes in the leather at all. It has never gone in for the spa treatment. (I am afraid to let it go) It has not even scratched much...maybe little smears, but nothing major. My SA can't believe it is as old as it is. For the first half of its life I carried it daily. Lately, it is really my only here and there bag. There is nothing better than box IMO. It will hold up for ages and if you care for your bag it will never look old. I don't see that it is any different from the day I purchased.

Oh, only the gold lock looks a tiny bit different in color. (which can easily be replaced)

Kellybag said:
HG, I love your avatar!

Ok, I will give a report on my black box Kelly without a picture.

It is approximately 15 years old and looks brand spanking new. I have carried it through much rain and a light snow storm...my kids have handled it...I carry by the handle/a few times by the strap...sometimes my hubby hugs the whole bag under his arm to hold it for me.

I see absolutely no changes in the leather at all. It has never gone in for the spa treatment. (I am afraid to let it go) It has not even scratched much...maybe little smears, but nothing major. My SA can't believe it is as old as it is. For the first half of its life I carried it daily. Lately, it is really my only here and there bag. There is nothing better than box IMO. It will hold up for ages and if you care for your bag it will never look old. I don't see that it is any different from the day I purchased.

Oh, only the gold lock looks a tiny bit different in color. (which can easily be replaced)
Love box!!!! Anyway, there's a cute little story behind the avatar. My secretary took her kids to the Build-a-Bear workshop. Each girl got a bear and they decided to make one for me as well. They were so proud of themselves I just had to showcase it somewhere.

KB, thank you for sharing. I would love to see pictures of your bag, I bet it is stunning. A black box Kelly is just so classy, especially with the gold hardware. That is very helpful to know that box holds up so well, I am considering a bag in this leather as my next purchase.

I don't know how old is old, but I have a 1989 Black Box Kelly 35cm and 1988 Kelly 32cm.
You'll rarely find me purchasing a new bag, because like my counterpart in CA, Shopmom--I LOVE vintage Kellys. Kellys are my :heart:

I'm considering breaking my Kelly habit for a Rouge Garance Birkin but I keep getting distracted by Kellys. LOL

Attachments

• HermesCrocmiel1.jpg
    HermesCrocmiel1.jpg
    71.6 KB · Views: 55
  • Hermes4.jpg
    Hermes4.jpg
    100.9 KB · Views: 56
  • IzzyKelly1.jpg
    IzzyKelly1.jpg
    61.3 KB · Views: 47
WHOA! HOLD THE PHONE, Japster! When.....when did Meile (sp?) arrive!?!?!?! OMG! She's STUNNING! What a bag. Spill the details, girl....size, age, EVERYTHING!

.....see what happens when you go away for five days?????

I was trying to sneak her in. LOL. You know how shy I am about sharing stuff. :blush:

Actually she's not here yet. Still waiting on the cites for her because I do need them since I may take her to Europe when I go to see my family in Hungary. I've already bought a beautiful lock for her though.

Oh she's stunning, Japster.....just beautiful but you know how I feel about vintage Croc's! Don't worry.....I'm in the same boat as you....two girls in a holding pattern waiting for the croc's to come home! Is she the one you mention from 1988? Porosus? I bet you can't wait to get her in your hands....what a color!!!! Which lock did you buy for her?

....yikes, I could go on and on and on.....