This image triggers a whole spectrum of emotion in me

That's terrible.. his head hardly looks human any more.

I can't really explain how that picture makes me feel.. I feel weird inside. It's one of many reality checks about what exactly is going on in the world today.

Yes, it does make you feel an array of emotions.

First, it made me feel so sad for the couple. Just the look on the bride's face....so lifeless...yet they have chosen to follow through with their wedding, because it is "in sickness and in health..."

Then, I get angry, and I'm not even going to say what I really want to say, because I don't want to get political on tPF, but I don't think I need to say it. I think a lot of people know what I am thinking w/o me even saying it.

And lastly, it makes me feel guilt. Guilt because my husband and I are so lucky to have each other, just as this young couple is lucky to have each other, but that so many times, we take that for granted. So many times I'll b*tch and moan about such dumb little things. Not even realizing how lucky I truly am.

Yes, it does make you feel an array of emotions.

First, it made me feel so sad for the couple. Just the look on the bride's face....so lifeless...yet they have chosen to follow through with their wedding, because it is "in sickness and in health..."

Then, I get angry, and I'm not even going to say what I really want to say, because I don't want to get political on tPF, but I don't think I need to say it. I think a lot of people know what I am thinking w/o me even saying it.

And lastly, it makes me feel guilt. Guilt because my husband and I are so lucky to have each other, just as this young couple is lucky to have each other, but that so many times, we take that for granted. So many times I'll b*tch and moan about such dumb little things. Not even realizing how lucky I truly am.

I completely agree.

There was a news special on this couple a few months back (can't remember when) on a 20/20 or something. Even though the picture is a stark reminder of what's going on in the world and even though the bride looks sad (or what not), at the time they did the tv news special, they were very happy. She said something to the effect of even though he does not look the same, he is still the same person inside and that's all that mattered to her. She also said that she still sees him in his eyes. That touched me greatly.

There was a news special on this couple a few months back (can't remember when) on a 20/20 or something. Even though the picture is a stark reminder of what's going on in the world and even though the bride looks sad (or what not), at the time they did the tv news special, they were very happy.

And you do know what studio photographs look like, especially wedding portraits. They are pretty much posed - not very natural. My thought is that she must be happy marrying him (otherwise why get married to him?) but being photographed smiling away at the side of a husband who cannot smile, or whose smile cannot be recognizable as a smile would make the picture look much more terrible.

And then you start to get so livid cause the American people stood behind a president who scolded war dissenters as anti American and lacking support for our troops, when in reality, our government is the one that's not supporting our troops.

I did not support this President and DO NOT support him now. I did not vote for him either time, so at least my conscience is clear.

I also have my own personal experiences with the situation in Iraq AND as a Veteran who has been part of this "system". I'd rather not post about it here but I will say that the situation with our troops and how the disabled are being treated is more f*cked up than anyone can imagine.

Very sad picture ... definitely feel unsure about that couple's future. War is never a good thing, it's definitely a wake up call that many lives are affected even our own. I have cousins in the US Navy and pray that they always make it home sound and safe.

Couldn't have said it better myself, Vlad. War is hell.

This reminds me of a friend's DH who is permanently disabled after being hit while on his bike by a drunk driver. She said "when I vowed 'in sickness and in health,' I thought that meant the flu."

Blessings to this couple.