Scarves Then and Now ; A Scarf from Inspiration to Execution

frou frou

perfection is boring
O.G.
Dec 11, 2010
I’m sure I speak for many when I say that the TPF Scarf Forum kindled a fiery love for those orange boxes .
Any time I’m feeling sartorially flat and boring , a flick through the Scarf threads gets me liking some things just a little too much ,and I go bouncing off to find that very same piece of silk.
It has to be an aesthetic I can envisage suiting me and my lifestyle , so I'm attracted by styling ideas that I love.
Since the person who inspired me lives on the other side of the planet, or at least a couple of miles away they need never know how I plagiarised their look.
Until now !
Share your original inspiration for a scarf with links or photos and then show us how it worked for you .
Was it a winner or it fail to deliver and get the silk chop?

Here's my first show and tell .
Mademoiselle Soie Gavroche by Pierre Marie
It was just after I'd discovered tpf and I had no idea how easy I'd find buying scarves a few years later. At that time this little gavroche was everything to me .
It still is , I've yet to find a larger format I love as much design wise, and the colours are perfection for my wardrobe and colouring .
Back then I was inspired by SC in SG , that was a look I loved , see post here https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/which-scarf-pointu-pochette-are-you-wearing-today.649893/

I had the same kit to copy that , and I wore it all the time.
And today wearing it with a black top again, a Mors ring to lengthen the gavroche and the simplest earrings.
I've learnt one thing today ,back to my roots feels good .
The simplest little earrings , jeans and Converse sneakers. May sneak in a Black Kelly , I've got to use these things sometime !

Attachments

• SC in SG  Melle Soie.jpg
    SC in SG Melle Soie.jpg
    91 KB · Views: 1,068
  • soie 2.jpg
    soie 2.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 1,048
  • Photo on 17-08-2018 at 12.20 #3.jpg
    Photo on 17-08-2018 at 12.20 #3.jpg
    203.5 KB · Views: 1,065
It was just after I'd discovered tpf and I had no idea how easy I'd find buying scarves a few years later. At that time this little gavroche was everything to me .
It still is , I've yet to find a larger format I love as much design wise, and the colours are perfection for my wardrobe and colouring .
Back then I was inspired by SC in SG , that was a look I loved , see post here https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/which-scarf-pointu-pochette-are-you-wearing-today.649893/

And today wearing it with a black top again, a Mors ring to lengthen the gavroche and the simplest earrings.
The simplest little earrings , jeans and Converse sneakers. May sneak in a Black Kelly , I've got to use these things sometime !

Translates brilliantly

I have to have a think about mine. Usually I buy new from the store at the beginning of the season so there's on the seasonal scarf thread pics to go on.

However

I remember seeing Le Carnaval de Venise by Hubert de Watrigant on SotD thread and going :panic: gotta have gotta have. BUT, let me try to find the actual post that did it for me.

In tern I also looked for other by Hubert de Watrigant designs.

"I'll be back" but maybe a little while. And if I think of any more...

Reactions: BBC
I’m happy to see your thread froufrou, and what a great idea. Here is a grail that I spotted years ago from our dear lala who has an enviable collection of h silks and bags, and I just adore her style and taste.

After spotting her green ELK, which I would never have stretched myself to wear, after nearly ten years of searching ( yep ten) one finally came up on ebay never worn and a decent price that I could live with. Over the years my hair coloring changed and happily I can now wear those beautiful greens and turquoise colors that I loved on others. You never know how Mother Nature lends a hand in both good ways and em, sometimes not so great. Be careful what you wish for.

A8B149A6-62D5-469D-B559-F0BA9C791182.jpeg
575491E6-3B45-4D7F-AF1E-470A6BF2057B.jpeg
Found years later....
A0CA824A-E81B-4C67-88BE-9C3E3429BFCD.jpeg
CEB7905C-FFF3-49F1-937E-220166A987A5.jpeg
1DCB9DE0-2892-44F0-9947-D326C64D7BD7.jpeg
76251EBB-A599-4AD7-AF36-B7811D5195A1.jpeg

Last edited:
Oh heavens Lanit , I die every time I see your green EL en K :heart:
You both look wonderful in it , and now you've got me going too !
As you rightly say, as hair lightens with AD new horizons open for scarf choices .
[As for the rest , hmmm, looking out old photos shows too much difference!]
You've reminded me what an enabler Lala is ! She looks so great in her scarves and styles things beautifully .
I too have a Lala scarf to show.

Reactions: lanit
I’m happy to see your thread froufrou, and what a great idea. Here is a grail that I spotted years ago from our dear lala who has an enviable collection of h silks and bags, and I just adore her style and taste.

After spotting her green ELK, which I would never have stretched myself to wear, after nearly ten years of searching ( yep ten) one finally came up on ebay never worn and a decent price that I could live with. Over the years my hair coloring changed and happily I can now wear those beautiful greens and turquoise colors that I loved on others. You never know how Mother Nature lends a hand in both good ways and em, sometimes not so great. Be careful what you wish for.

View attachment 4165892
View attachment 4165894
Found years later....
View attachment 4165895
View attachment 4165896
View attachment 4165893
View attachment 4165897

Fabulous, I can see why you had to follow this HG

'Our' @lala28 (hope I'm tagging the right lala :huh:) is such a wonderful inspiration for so many reasons, her generosity of spirit and has such wonderful and unique style. The same could be said of frou frou and you too.

View attachment 4165892
View attachment 4165894
Found years later....
View attachment 4165895
View attachment 4165896
View attachment 4165893
View attachment 4165897

What a fabulous thread idea. Thank you dear frou frou.

Love your gavroche and Lanit that shawl is divine.

I'm going to have to give this some thought and I'll be back!

Reactions: lanit and scarf1
It takes a bit of time to find things for this , I may have to make that my after dinner relaxation instead of online shopping !
Speaking of Lala , I was enabled by her to buy my red Turandot.
I asked her to post a casual styling of it and she came up with a great shot worn with a t shirt which was pivotal for me .
I've posted it a few times over the years , to show how it's aged with me I've located a 2103 photo .
And here it is today in 2108 , this is more casual and shows two of my usual scarf knots. A weave knot and the Markova knot . [ There's another enabler!]
Before I would have picked a blue top to show it with , because there's blue in the scarf , or looked for a tonal match .
I'm wearing a black top today ; black would have seemed discordant then and too harsh , but now I like the fact it's slightly off . More spontaneous and modern.
More about that Markova knot another time.

Attachments

• lala red tuandot.png
    lala red tuandot.png
    894.3 KB · Views: 926
  • turandot 2013.jpg
    turandot 2013.jpg
    35.3 KB · Views: 919
  • red turandot weave knot 8:18.jpg
    red turandot weave knot 8:18.jpg
    205.6 KB · Views: 920
  • red turandot 8:18.jpg
    red turandot 8:18.jpg
    125 KB · Views: 920
It takes a bit of time to find things for this , I may have to make that my after dinner relaxation instead of online shopping !
Speaking of Lala , I was enabled by her to buy my red Turandot.
I asked her to post a casual styling of it and she came up with a great shot worn with a t shirt which was pivotal for me .
I've posted it a few times over the years , to show how it's aged with me I've located a 2103 photo .
And here it is today in 2108 , this is more casual and shows two of my usual scarf knots. A weave knot and the Markova knot . [ There's another enabler!]
Before I would have picked a blue top to show it with , because there's blue in the scarf , or looked for a tonal match .
I'm wearing a black top today ; black would have seemed discordant then and too harsh , but now I like the fact it's slightly off . More spontaneous and modern.
More about that Markova knot another time.

Both of you look exemplary in it :ps:

Reactions: frou frou

View attachment 4165892
View attachment 4165894
Found years later....
View attachment 4165895
View attachment 4165896
View attachment 4165893
View attachment 4165897
And YOU, dear lanit rps20180817_141344.jpg lit the fire under my rear to get my grubby hands on the very same cw of ELeK!!

View attachment 4165892
View attachment 4165894
Found years later....
View attachment 4165895
View attachment 4165896
View attachment 4165893
View attachment 4165897
Well said! And same here, inspired by lala's picture. I exchanged my blue one to the green one! Such a beautiful picture, effortless chic. :love: And you look absolutely nice in it as well.