The Twilly and Hermes Handles

My twillys keep coming unwrapped from my GP handles. I read somewhere on here a tip to use non-sticky medical gauze tape. The stuff in this picture works really well, but I’m worried it will damage the handles. It’s not sticky, more just rubbery, and I’m worried that over time, enclosing the handle in this “rubber” type material will damage them. What do you think?

View attachment 5395454

I know it's awkward with the GP (and plume) tangles but I wouldn't recommend. You could use old fashioned interfacing from a haberdashery (or thin cotton tape) over the handles first, just so the silk is not so slippery

Oh you can replace the handles? Is that via the H spa?

Yes. It’s not inexpensive but it’s not outrageous compared with the ($390) cost of 2 Twillies. It just depends on your goals. If you’d rather not hassle with Twillies at all, you could carry the bag as is and put the money you’ll spend on Twillies in an account for later spa work. You’ll have the cost of new handles in 4 Twillies. If you like Twillies for the color, etc. you could either wrap them over the tape so they don’t come off and replace your handles possibly sooner, or not use the tape and adjust your Twillies more often, as well as take them off occasionally, and possibly have your handles last longer.

What color is your GP? And wha is your primary consideration?

Yes. It’s not inexpensive but it’s not outrageous compared with the ($390) cost of 2 Twillies. It just depends on your goals. If you’d rather not hassle with Twillies at all, you could carry the bag as is and put the money you’ll spend on Twillies in an account for later spa work. You’ll have the cost of new handles in 4 Twillies. If you like Twillies for the color, etc. you could either wrap them over the tape so they don’t come off and replace your handles possibly sooner, or not use the tape and adjust your Twillies more often, as well as take them off occasionally, and possibly have your handles last longer.

What color is your GP? And wha is your primary consideration?

Here's my GP - it's Etoupe.

And great question! Honestly my main consideration is the lowest fuss. I bought this GP pre-owned (I bought the twillies shown) because I was too impatient to wait for one to be available at H. I got a fairly good deal (that is, not too much more than retail, ha) but it had a few small scuffs... and actually now I think that was a good thing so I don't freak out about keeping it super pristine. The handles were a tiny bit bent and cracked, and I decided against sending to the spa right away. So maybe I should just stop trying to make the twillies work and then replace the handles altogether when they get bad?

Does that sound reasonable given the color and my approach?

Attachments

• GP.jpg
    GP.jpg
    296.6 KB · Views: 96
Here's my GP - it's Etoupe.

And great question! Honestly my main consideration is the lowest fuss. I bought this GP pre-owned (I bought the twillies shown) because I was too impatient to wait for one to be available at H. I got a fairly good deal (that is, not too much more than retail, ha) but it had a few small scuffs... and actually now I think that was a good thing so I don't freak out about keeping it super pristine. The handles were a tiny bit bent and cracked, and I decided against sending to the spa right away. So maybe I should just stop trying to make the twillies work and then replace the handles altogether when they get bad?

Does that sound reasonable given the color and my approach?

You’ve had a smart approach.

Another option is just consider this your starter GP. Wrap the handles any way you please for ease since they are already toast, and make your way to an H boutique to meet a nice SA. GPs are not hard to get and it would be a terrific way to start a relationship with a store. I think she’ll be charmed by what you’re doing and your love of the brand. While she is looking for your dream GP color for you, just wear the beejeezus out of the bag you have. I think Twillies are super fun on a GP and add a lot of flair. Plus they are fun to collect and swap out with different outfits. You can even buy them secondhand and have a whole slew of colors. Lol! sorry for all of the options!

Last edited:
Some of my twillies are second hand, I just find it less stressful to use and the are great for wrapping around handles like GP and Birkins and Lindys, especially where the strap of the Lindys will come into contact more with twillies and scratch them.

• Insightful
Reactions: Etriers
Ok so not sure if this is the place to ask, MODs feel free to move.

As the twillies that are around handles see high levels of wear and tear and in light for a B, you need two, they would not last too long right? Especially during hot weather when your hand gets sweaty or if you are eating out when you get oily hands at times.

Is it more cost effective to buy a large Hermes scarf and cut it up to make your own bag handles? You could even make modify the width to ensure that there is not too much excessive overlap of the silk which smothers the leather from the air. So in essence you get the protection of the silk from dirt and oils/hand creams while also allowing for the leather to breathe.

For me, sewing is easy and I was thinking it would allow for you to swap over dirty twillies fast and easily as there are lots spare on hand and wash them in batches as needed. I measured and I can make 2 twillies from a 45cm silk pocket square or scarf (AU$147.50 per twilly as opposed to AU$305 normally). Out of a 90cm silk scarf I can get 8 twillies. So that would work out to be AU$89 per twilly in that case (AU$2440 for 8 twillies or AU$715 for a 90cm scarf). That is a huge saving. Has anyone done this?

ScarfBloke.

As the twillies that are around handles see high levels of wear and tear and in light for a B, you need two, they would not last too long right? Especially during hot weather when your hand gets sweaty or if you are eating out when you get oily hands at times.

Is it more cost effective to buy a large Hermes scarf and cut it up to make your own bag handles? You could even make modify the width to ensure that there is not too much excessive overlap of the silk which smothers the leather from the air. So in essence you get the protection of the silk from dirt and oils/hand creams while also allowing for the leather to breathe.

For me, sewing is easy and I was thinking it would allow for you to swap over dirty twillies fast and easily as there are lots spare on hand and wash them in batches as needed. I measured and I can make 2 twillies from a 45cm silk pocket square or scarf (AU$147.50 per twilly as opposed to AU$305 normally). Out of a 90cm silk scarf I can get 8 twillies. So that would work out to be AU$89 per twilly in that case (AU$2440 for 8 twillies or AU$715 for a 90cm scarf). That is a huge saving. Has anyone done this?

ScarfBloke.

That’s an interesting idea. I’m not sure it would be any healthier for the bag, because the fabric still will probably dry out the leather, but if you find a 90 that you like (maybe second hand and get a good price because it has a pull or some other issue) you could make multiple sets. Maybe do a test batch with some inexpensive silk or polyester fabric to see if it will work?

YMMV but I have not found the durability of Twillies to be a problem. Silk is surprisingly tough. And many people just wash Twillies by hand.

Reactions: MAGJES

ScarfBloke.
A member did this, but with a Maxi Twilly instead, purely for the color. Read here.

ScarfBloke.
Honestly, this sounds like major overkill to me. Twillies don’t get THAT dirty with typical use. I doubt most people wash them ever, let alone often enough to need spares to hot swap them. You just gently wash them and hang dry and within a few hours you can be back in business. They don’t really “wear out” more than that. Regardless, they are perfectly sized and the patterns are usually arranged in a meaningful way that I think one would lose out on with DIY twillies (such as the “made in France” or Hermes singature in clever spots or the pattern being at a certain angle).

Last edited: