The super cool MOTO LEATHER JACKET club!

Hi everyone,
Am wondering if anyone can help me out with sizing - there are so many pages on this thread, I'm getting a bit lost ploughing thru' them. I had a Bal moto many years ago, I think it was 36, but I found it way too snug and tight for me. I'm usually a UK10, US 4 in most brands, except Lululemon I'm a US 6 for most things. My frame is lean and athletic. I'm looking at a pre-loved 2007 size 40. Is that too oversized for me? I suspect my perfect sizing is 38, but wondering if the 40 would be ridiculously big!

Appreciate any help, thank you!
Hi! Im also a US 4. If you look solely at size charts, youd think a 38 is rhe right. However, I went and tried on a 38 in store while under the same assumption. Nope. Too small. Keep in mind a lot of designers say its a “4” when its really more of a “0-2.” I found that a 40 fit me better. Even a 42 if I wanted to wear something more bulky under it in true cold weather. For reference - I am also a 6 in lululemon. :smile:

With Balenciaga moto jackets, I suggest erring on the side of going bigger. My true size is 38 or 40, but I recently bought 44 with is huge and oversized and I wear it more than the others. I could easily layer chunky sweaters under it, and even without those, I love the oversized look.

I’ve found the incremental differences between the sizes are pretty small. Not a whole lot of difference between 38 and 40. I had to go up to 42 to notice a real difference. That’s probably also because different years and leathers feel different. I have a 42 purple in a much thinner leather that fits exactly like my 38 black jacket.
Thank you so much for your reply! Now I feel more and more confident that the 40 will work. I don't like my jackets too fitted anyway, so yayyyy!! Appreciate it!

Reactions: Deco
Hi! Im also a US 4. If you look solely at size charts, youd think a 38 is rhe right. However, I went and tried on a 38 in store while under the same assumption. Nope. Too small. Keep in mind a lot of designers say its a “4” when its really more of a “0-2.” I found that a 40 fit me better. Even a 42 if I wanted to wear something more bulky under it in true cold weather. For reference - I am also a 6 in lululemon. :smile:
yayyyy thank you! The size charts are so confusing too. US size 4 shd be a 36. But I know for sure 36 doesn't fit me. Glad to know that 40 works for you in the store - I suppose Bal's moto jkts size increments are also tiny, so....

Hi everyone,

I'm back again with a couple more questions - this time about the quilted motos.
Does anyone know when the Navy ones were produced, and how do they fit compared to the classic motos? Also the leather seems less squishy, or am I mistaken from just looking at pictures?
I see mostly the classics being posted, and hardly any info about the quilted ones, so any info would be most welcome!

I think I'm in trouble... serious trouble. :doh:

Hi everyone,

I'm back again with a couple more questions - this time about the quilted motos.
Does anyone know when the Navy ones were produced, and how do they fit compared to the classic motos? Also the leather seems less squishy, or am I mistaken from just looking at pictures?
I see mostly the classics being posted, and hardly any info about the quilted ones, so any info would be most welcome!

I think I'm in trouble... serious trouble. :doh:
Hi isadora!

I have a quilted in black. I'm not sure when the navy was produced but I can comment on the sizing.
I believe there are two types of quilted out there. One is slimmer newer version (less thick leather) than the other. I have the thicker older version. I'm pretty sure both fit larger than the regular moto. I'm usually a 36 or can squeeze into the 34 in regular moto.
The quilted fits larger so a 34 is a better fit for me but I have the 36 which is fine but a bit big!
I would size down on the quilted.
Yes I'd say the quilted leather is stiffer but still great luxurious leather.
I hope that helps in some way!

Love reading all the posts on this thread and seeing the pics of all your jackets! :drool:

I’m hunting for my first Bal jacket. Looking for a unicorn 2007 Moto, any color, in good+ condition size 40 or 42.

I've seen them for sale on resale websites. Have you tried there?
Oh yes! I have alerts setup on multiple sites. I expanded my search now to include 2007 - 2010 to make it a bit easier and zeroed in on any shade of brown or black size 40 or 42.

I did find one off TRR, but it had a tear on the back. Thank goodness it was returnable.

Found a 2009 size 38 on VC that was a great price and even though it fits, I may sell it later if I can find a bigger size. With that being said, I am officially a member of this extremely elite club now. :coolio:

Below are pics of the jacket. Not sure what color it is. Brown?

The right jacket will come along and when it does I’ll post it here. The hunt continues… :biggrin:

IMG_7509.jpeg

IMG_7507.jpeg

Oh yes! I have alerts setup on multiple sites. I expanded my search now to include 2007 - 2010 to make it a bit easier and zeroed in on any shade of brown or black size 40 or 42.

I did find one off TRR, but it had a tear on the back. Thank goodness it was returnable.

Found a 2009 size 38 on VC that was a great price and even though it fits, I may sell it later if I can find a bigger size. With that being said, I am officially a member of this extremely elite club now. :coolio:

Below are pics of the jacket. Not sure what color it is. Brown?

The right jacket will come along and when it does I’ll post it here. The hunt continues… :biggrin:

View attachment 5810928

View attachment 5810929

Here's a gorgeous navy in a 40.

And an early black w/brass zips in a 42.

HTH! :flowers:

• Love
Reactions: haisley
Here's a gorgeous navy in a 40.

And an early black w/brass zips in a 42.

HTH! :flowers:
You are super quick! Funny, the 42 black one is the one I bought that has a tear in it! I’ve been eyeing that navy one just on the fence about the color since I’m leaning towards black or brown to match more of my wardrobe. Maybe it’s time to let the blues in… :hugs:

You are super quick! Funny, the 42 black one is the one I bought that has a tear in it! I’ve been eyeing that navy one just on the fence about the color since I’m leaning towards black or brown to match more of my wardrobe. Maybe it’s time to let the blues in… :hugs:

I'm so sorry about that. I hate when there is damage like that. Last year I bought an 09 Black from TRR. It was GORGEOUS, on the outside. But the lining on both sleeves was torn to shreds. Returned it to TRR letting them know about the damage and they relisted without noting the damage. Frustrating, yet I've also gotten very good deals because they're so lackadaisical about their listings.

I'm so sorry about that. I hate when there is damage like that. Last year I bought an 09 Black from TRR. It was GORGEOUS, on the outside. But the lining on both sleeves was torn to shreds. Returned it to TRR letting them know about the damage and they relisted without noting the damage. Frustrating, yet I've also gotten very good deals because they're so lackadaisical about their listings.

That's a shame but the sleeve linings can be fixed, I've had it done on quite a few jackets. I think it's a pretty common issue because the lining often seems to be too small for the size of the actual sleeve. It costs a little bit but if it's otherwise a grail jacket it's definitely worth doing!

Reactions: andral5
That's a shame but the sleeve linings can be fixed, I've had it done on quite a few jackets. I think it's a pretty common issue because the lining often seems to be too small for the size of the actual sleeve. It costs a little bit but if it's otherwise a grail jacket it's definitely worth doing!

Good to know, thanks! I was horrified to see the inner white soft padding and opened a return minutes after opening the package. It was already pretty expensive, so I'd imagine a repair would have pushed the price to ridonk levels. The kicker is they'd listed it as "Excellent" condition. :whut: When I held it up, some of the lining chunks were hanging down from the sleeves from some angles!

I scored an 07 black recently which miraculously has zero green tones to it, regardless of lighting. It is admittedly more charcoal than jet black. I'd given up, thinking all 07s had that greenie undertone, but after a couple of years searching, finally found the ultimate holy grail. That leather, 07, is hands down the best I've ever felt. Even though the jacket isn't broken in, it is utterly buttery to wear. No squeaking at all, feels almost like a cardigan vs thick leather jacket. How I wish they'd kept using that type of leather.

Hope you've been well @annanas! :flowers: