The super cool MOTO LEATHER JACKET club!

Thank you for responding so quickly and sending such a great picture. That’s a gorgeous jacket. The more beat up the better. I’m fine with all that. I’m a 34 but I think a 36 would be fine. And probably much easier to find. I noticed that the 2007 size 34 is tighter in the arms and also longer in the arms. But my black one from, I’m not sure what year but it’s quite a bit later has shorter sleeves and a little more room and of course fits me better. So I’m assuming this 2008 will be on the smaller size. Thank you so much for all this information. X0X
I actually think the 07 and 08 jackets run slightly larger than later seasons (& if I remember correctly, the sleeves on 07s were slightly shorter than later years - the sleeves on later season jackets were almost always too long for most of us). One thing to keep in mind is that they will stretch out over time. I used to wear mine with a heavier sweater or sweatshirt around the house when I first got a jacket to loosen up the sleeves a little

this is from many, many years ago -- this is my 08 grey in a size 38

Attachments

• IMG_5735.jpeg
    IMG_5735.jpeg
    135.9 KB · Views: 38
  • IMG_5734.jpeg
    IMG_5734.jpeg
    121.9 KB · Views: 36
I actually think the 07 and 08 jackets run slightly larger than later seasons (& if I remember correctly, the sleeves on 07s were slightly shorter than later years - the sleeves on later season jackets were almost always too long for most of us). One thing to keep in mind is that they will stretch out over time. I used to wear mine with a heavier sweater or sweatshirt around the house when I first got a jacket to loosen up the sleeves a little

Thank you! You look fantastic in this!! Perfection!
About the sleeves that are way too long for most of us, if not all of us. I’m thinking that’s a design element to more accurately reproduce what a motorcycle jacket would be like. Because if you’re riding a motorcycle and your arms are stretched way out you do need an extra long sleeve to cover your wrist at that point. But really, these were never meant for hardcore motorcyclists. So, come on, Nicolas. :smile:

Last edited:
Thank you! You look fantastic in this!! Perfection!
About the sleeves that are way too long for most of us, if not all of us. I’m thinking that’s a design element to more accurately reproduce what a motorcycle jacket would be like. Because if you’re riding a motorcycle and your arms are stretched way out you do need an extra long sleeve to cover your wrist at that point. But really, these were never meant for hardcore motorcyclists. So, come on, Nicolas. :smile:
thank you -- like I said, that was many years ago
I no longer fit in a 38 :hrmm:
I have been lucky enough to find some of my holy grails in larger sizes though
(and my granddaughter is now the owner of that 08 grey)

you make a good point about the sleeves. I'd never considered that before

• Love
Reactions: mal

Absolutely gorgeous, and such a perfect fit on you. I have the 07 black, and this color would’ve been the only other color that I wanted!

Hello moto jacket enthusiasts! I tried on a size 40 in cranberry yesterday and I am in love but the sleeves were too tight. Assuming I need to grab a 42…. Thoughts? I’m a ladies M and my bust fluctuates but I’m a 36/38. ❤️

Hello moto jacket enthusiasts! I tried on a size 40 in cranberry yesterday and I am in love but the sleeves were too tight. Assuming I need to grab a 42…. Thoughts? I’m a ladies M and my bust fluctuates but I’m a 36/38. ❤️
Did they just feel snug or was the leather obviously pulled and tight from the outside?
It certainly wouldn't hurt to size up, but the difference tends to be more in the shoulders and chest than the sleeves.
Do you know if the jacket was barely worn? Also, were you wearing long sleeves or short when you tried it on? It might be that the sleeves just hadn't stretched out yet. Not sure if you saw my comment above, but I always wear my new to me jackets around the house with a sweater or sweatshirt to stretch the sleeves quicker because they do always stretch out and get looser

Did they just feel snug or was the leather obviously pulled and tight from the outside?
It certainly wouldn't hurt to size up, but the difference tends to be more in the shoulders and chest than the sleeves.
Do you know if the jacket was barely worn? Also, were you wearing long sleeves or short when you tried it on? It might be that the sleeves just hadn't stretched out yet. Not sure if you saw my comment above, but I always wear my new to me jackets around the house with a sweater or sweatshirt to stretch the sleeves quicker because they do always stretch out and get looser
I had on a t shirt and it was definitely gently worn. It was one of there where the seams felt tight. I’ll have to stew on it because it was a great deal but I wouldn’t be able to zip it at all and don’t want to look like the hulk breaking out of it.

I had on a t shirt and it was definitely gently worn. It was one of there where the seams felt tight. I’ll have to stew on it because it was a great deal but I wouldn’t be able to zip it at all and don’t want to look like the hulk breaking out of it.

Well, not sure how far back you might have gone in this this thread, but these jackets were really designed to be worn open/unzipped, so don’t let that be the deciding factor. The ones who want to zip it almost always size up at least 1-2 sizes (& for busty girls, they could almost never zip them)

There’s some really good modeling pics here:

If you found it comfortable and it looked good open, I’d say thats probably your normal size

Reactions: andral5
Well, not sure how far back you might have gone in this this thread, but these jackets were really designed to be worn open/unzipped, so don’t let that be the deciding factor. The ones who want to zip it almost always size up at least 1-2 sizes (& for busty girls, they could almost never zip them)

There’s some really good modeling pics here:

If you found it comfortable and it looked good open, I’d say thats probably your normal size
This is encouraging for me, as I usually wear my other (smaller brands) moto jackets open. Especially here, in SoCal not being too cold, they wear so well this way.
My concern is the shoulders sizing and the tightness of the sleeves at arms level.

So, is there any place where measurements were posted by size? Someone said that a few pages back. Also, when you say size 38 or 40, is that in French or Italian sizing? Or more generally, European? I see on VC sizing being posted in any of these standards.

And since my birthday is coming this month, I want a Bal moto jacket as well, besides the Burgundy Work I just got a couple of weeks ago. I’d have a birthday gist together with a divorce gift. From myself to MoiJe ☺️ 😉

This is encouraging for me, as I usually wear my other (smaller brands) moto jackets open. Especially here, in SoCal not being too cold, they wear so well this way.
My concern is the shoulders sizing and the tightness of the sleeves at arms level.

So, is there any place where measurements were posted by size? Someone said that a few pages back. Also, when you say size 38 or 40, is that in French or Italian sizing? Or more generally, European? I see on VC sizing being posted in any of these standards.

And since my birthday is coming this month, I want a Bal moto jacket as well, besides the Burgundy Work I just got a couple of weeks ago. I’d have a birthday gist together with a divorce gift. From myself to MoiJe ☺️ 😉

The sizing is French
A size 38 on average, fits a US size 6/8, 40 = 8/10, 42 = 10/12, 44 = 12/14
Again, this is approx sizing. The shoulder measurement is the best point of reference.
If you're broad shouldered, you might want to size up

I just sold a size 38 from 2008
Approx measurements:
15 in across the shoulders in back
17.5 underarm to underarm (unzipped)
21 in long
sleeves are 25 in long

I also looked up a couple of my old listings

This was a 2008 Chocolate, size 40
Approx measurements:

•22" long
•18" across the chest (underarm to underarm)
•16" across the shoulders in back (seam to seam)
•16" across the waist (hem of the jacket)
•17" across the top of the pockets
•25" sleeves

size 44 (2009 - black w/black zips)

21" long
19" across the chest (underarm to underarm)
17" across the shoulders in back (seam to seam)
25" sleeves

• Thanks
The sizing is French
A size 38 on average, fits a US size 6/8, 40 = 8/10, 42 = 10/12, 44 = 12/14
Again, this is approx sizing. The shoulder measurement is the best point of reference.
If you're broad shouldered, you might want to size up

I just sold a size 38 from 2008
Approx measurements:
15 in across the shoulders in back
17.5 underarm to underarm (unzipped)
21 in long
sleeves are 25 in long

I also looked up a couple of my old listings

This was a 2008 Chocolate, size 40
Approx measurements:

•22" long
•18" across the chest (underarm to underarm)
•16" across the shoulders in back (seam to seam)
•16" across the waist (hem of the jacket)
•17" across the top of the pockets
•25" sleeves

size 44 (2009 - black w/black zips)

21" long
19" across the chest (underarm to underarm)
17" across the shoulders in back (seam to seam)
25" sleeves
Thank you so much for all the details, @iluvmybags! Comparing all the measurements you posted, I’d say I could wear either a size 40 or a 44 if I’d want something oversized. So, probably a 40 or a 42 would work for me.
Now, just to find something I like. I was looking for some dark reds but none that would fit me, so I will go for blacks for now. I found a few looking pretty nice and in very good condition.

If you could remember, are the arms really tight in a size 40 for example? Although I am not very broad shouldered for my height, my arms seem to not fit very easily in tight-arms clothes.

Thank you again so much for your post! ☺️ 😚

Reactions: iluvmybags
Thank you so much for all the details, @iluvmybags! Comparing all the measurements you posted, I’d say I could wear either a size 40 or a 44 if I’d want something oversized. So, probably a 40 or a 42 would work for me.
Now, just to find something I like. I was looking for some dark reds but none that would fit me, so I will go for blacks for now. I found a few looking pretty nice and in very good condition.

If you could remember, are the arms really tight in a size 40 for example? Although I am not very broad shouldered for my height, my arms seem to not fit very easily in tight-arms clothes.

Thank you again so much for your post! ☺️ 😚

The arms are a little slim fitting, but they do stretch (I also don't think there's much difference in the sleeves from size to size - the difference in size is usually the shoulders & chest) When I get a new moto jacket, I wear it around the house with a long sleeve top -- a sweater or sweatshirt, even if it feels a little snug. This usually helps stretch the sleeves out a little

Also, the early season jackets (2010 and earlier), were made in France. In 2011 they shifted the manufacturing to Turkey. I can't remember if there was much difference in the fit of these jackets, but there's definitely a difference in the leather (like the handbags, I prefer the "oldies). They also went through a change in style I think around 2014 (it coincided with Alexander Wang taking over) -- they removed the epaulettes from the shoulders and added a "belt" around the waistband. I never bought one of these jackets, but its something to keep in mind

• Love
The arms are a little slim fitting, but they do stretch (I also don't think there's much difference in the sleeves from size to size - the difference in size is usually the shoulders & chest) When I get a new moto jacket, I wear it around the house with a long sleeve top -- a sweater or sweatshirt, even if it feels a little snug. This usually helps stretch the sleeves out a little

Also, the early season jackets (2010 and earlier), were made in France. In 2011 they shifted the manufacturing to Turkey. I can't remember if there was much difference in the fit of these jackets, but there's definitely a difference in the leather (like the handbags, I prefer the "oldies). They also went through a change in style I think around 2014 (it coincided with Alexander Wang taking over) -- they removed the epaulettes from the shoulders and added a "belt" around the waistband. I never bought one of these jackets, but its something to keep in mind
Yeah, those of Wang design don’t really appeal to me. Good to know the leather is better with the oldies, not only the design.
I will follow your advice for stretching the sleeves, if needed.

Thank you again for such an insightful response!

Reactions: iluvmybags
This might not be the right place to post this but I will repost it if you let me know where.
For my birthday, I ordered not one but two biker jackets, both beautiful and in great condition. And… both very tight. One from TRR, in size XL which I thought will fit me no matter what (I wear a L or even M, depending on item and manufacturer). It was tighter than a straight jacket. It was as tight on my teenage daughter who is slimmer than me. Superb green, sent it back yesterday.
The second one, black, came from VC UK. For that one, I asked the measurement across shoulders and at 16.1” it should’ve fit me. It came yesterday, on my bday, and I happily tried it on. Oh no, still too tight! I measured it myself and it was only almost 15.5” across shoulders. While it seems a small difference, I couldn’t squeeze myself enough to be comfortable in it. Same for my daughter.

Now, trying to get it returned and chatting with VC customer service, the person said the difference in the measurements posted and the one I took (and sent them photo of) is too small so they’re NOT accepting my return. But I can relist it and hope someone will take it off my hands sometimes this century (my comment here, not theirs). Is this how usually VC operates? I cannot keep an expensive item that I cannot use for an indefinite amount of time. While the jacket’s condition is even better than listed - looks like new, with no signs of wear - I could be stuck with it for a very long time. Especially because I need to get my money back and I will not discount it.

Any insight on this is highly appreciated because I am lost right now.

This might not be the right place to post this but I will repost it if you let me know where.
For my birthday, I ordered not one but two biker jackets, both beautiful and in great condition. And… both very tight. One from TRR, in size XL which I thought will fit me no matter what (I wear a L or even M, depending on item and manufacturer). It was tighter than a straight jacket. It was as tight on my teenage daughter who is slimmer than me. Superb green, sent it back yesterday.
The second one, black, came from VC UK. For that one, I asked the measurement across shoulders and at 16.1” it should’ve fit me. It came yesterday, on my bday, and I happily tried it on. Oh no, still too tight! I measured it myself and it was only almost 15.5” across shoulders. While it seems a small difference, I couldn’t squeeze myself enough to be comfortable in it. Same for my daughter.

Now, trying to get it returned and chatting with VC customer service, the person said the difference in the measurements posted and the one I took (and sent them photo of) is too small so they’re NOT accepting my return. But I can relist it and hope someone will take it off my hands sometimes this century (my comment here, not theirs). Is this how usually VC operates? I cannot keep an expensive item that I cannot use for an indefinite amount of time. While the jacket’s condition is even better than listed - looks like new, with no signs of wear - I could be stuck with it for a very long time. Especially because I need to get my money back and I will not discount it.

Any insight on this is highly appreciated because I am lost right now.
Sorry you're going through that
Unfortunately, that is how VC works. They rarely offer returns unless the item is drastically different from how its described. They only give you the option of relisting w/o fees but you have to use the original listing, original pics and ask the same price. You might have better luck taking your own photos, writing your own listing and determining your own price

I'm curious about TRR jacket. These jackets aren't sized S, M, L, XL -- they're numbered sizes. What was the size on the tag inside the jacket?