~The SHIPPING from USA to CANADA thread~

And what if it isn't? I did not specifically put in my listing "will only ship to confirmed addresses".

I am 7 months pregnant and a ball of hormones and worried sick about this.
The Doctor is in...don't worry, I ship to Canada all the time..try either Canada UPS or DHLor Express mail international for fast safe delivery with tracking make sure it's signed for on arrival. Have a happy 3rd trimester!

Thanks again for all the replies! I started a new thread because after figuring out HOW to ship the package, the winner said she wants me to declare the value as $50 (even though it's a $1200 bag).

Sigh....:nogood:

Please don't declare it as $50, declare it for the winning amount in the auction. You can only insure the amount that you declare, should something happen you will be out the money. Also, USPS is the best as far as customs/fees etc. UPS gets it here faster but the fees are a killer. The buyer is trying to avoid taxes etc. by declaring it lower, but you (the seller) take the risk.

^from what I understand though, Express no longer has a signature option and this seems to be an issue when making claims with Paypal.

OP- I would take it to the post office. That seems so high, most bags are around $40, unless they are big/heavy.

Steer clear of those large boxes if you can. Longer, flat boxes are significantly cheaper to ship. I ended up spend almost $30 to ship a small botkier because I bought a large box to ensure the handles didn't get bent. The postal clerk told me to not use those large boxes because the price is determined by weight and dimension.

You can use the Global Express calculator to work out what the assumed weight will be of the various size boxes for a cheaper Global Express service. I wonder if it might not be cheaper to use a courier service such as UPS or even FedEx directly rather than through USPS (which is what the Global Express is).
My item was not worth as much as yours. It's probably safer for you to stick with the signature required type of delivery. Unfortunately it's an expensive lesson in remembering to include what countries you will ship to in your future auctions!

^from what I understand though, Express no longer has a signature option and this seems to be an issue when making claims with Paypal.

OP- I would take it to the post office. That seems so high, most bags are around $40, unless they are big/heavy.

USPS will only insure for up to $500, so whenever I sell a $$ bag I send it fedex or UPS. I sent a $500 diamond ring to Australia via UPS (no signature) for about $50 so your estimate sounds about right. Insurance and package size are what drives up shipping costs with UPS.

I always take my packages in to the PO to buy the postage instead of using the online options because I know they will scan it there, I've heard of many instances where people dropped them in after using the Paypal labels etc and their packages don't get scanned so the tracking doesn't work.

The size of the box affects the shipping price on express mail as well. Someone sent me something recently and just weighed the box for online postage. It came postage due -- almost 2x the original postage due to the size of the box.

Postal Service is the way to go, even tho that sounds high. I recently mailed a bag to England and got UPS and FedEx quotes of $200!!! For a med. size box that weighed less than 3 pounds! So I used the post office and global express with tracking.