~The SHIPPING from USA to CANADA thread~

^^^ Oh yes. Our government wants its share too. What happens is that if the postman (postperson?) attempted delivery, and there were taxes due on the package, and the recipient isn't home, they will leave a card with the $ owed, and take it to the local post office for them to pick up on their own. The recipient just has to take the card to the post office, pay the duties, and they'll get their package. Not convenient, but not unusual. :smile:

^^^ Oh yes. Our government wants its share too. What happens is that if the postman (postperson?) attempted delivery, and there were taxes due on the package, and the recipient isn't home, they will leave a card with the $ owed, and take it to the local post office for them to pick up on their own. The recipient just has to take the card to the post office, pay the duties, and they'll get their package. Not convenient, but not unusual. :smile:

Ohh thanks did not know that. I hope the $ isn't too expensive for the receiver ?

Just a tidbit to add to this thread....USPS has, I believe, five International Service Centres (ISC): NYC, Miami, Chicago, San Franscisco and Los Angeles. USPS deliveries leaving the country go through one of these. I ordered something recently from North Carolina and it went through the Miami ISC - definitely not a short cut. So I expect some variations in delivery times can depend on the route the parcel takes.
My FedEx stuff goes to Memphis, if I remember correctly. I remember it going south first before heading back north. :biggrin: