The Saint Laurent YSL College Bag Thread

I was planning to get YSL woc black hardware but then I stumbled upon this beauty... Someone sell this medium college at a very reasonable price but I have some concerns...
As you can see the hardwear is already chipping at the bottom. Is there any way I can fix/disguise it? I was thinking to very meticulously cover it with a matte black OPI polish :panic:Is that a terrible idea?
Also how durable and scratch proof are YSL distressed leather? I'm still conflicting whether to get this one or not as my initial plan was to save money for a Chanel medium flap, but maybe in the mean time this can fill the gap. Thank you!

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 22.55.56.png
    Screen Shot 2021-05-20 at 22.55.56.png
    1.7 MB · Views: 105
Hello, I was hoping someone may be able to provide me with clarity on whether there is a difference in color between the College taupe vs. College dark beige? I really love the look of the nude color with dark metal hardware. I'm not able to find the taupe color secondhand anywhere, but I do see some options for dark beige - so I was wondering if they are the same or if taupe is a bit darker. It's hard to tell from pictures/reviews and it seems like YSL has so many different shades of nude.

Reactions: Lbsmith
I was planning to get YSL woc black hardware but then I stumbled upon this beauty... Someone sell this medium college at a very reasonable price but I have some concerns...
As you can see the hardwear is already chipping at the bottom. Is there any way I can fix/disguise it? I was thinking to very meticulously cover it with a matte black OPI polish :panic:Is that a terrible idea?
Also how durable and scratch proof are YSL distressed leather? I'm still conflicting whether to get this one or not as my initial plan was to save money for a Chanel medium flap, but maybe in the mean time this can fill the gap. Thank you!
I do not suggest getting this bag. The black hardware will look clearly "painted" if you try to cover up the parts that are scratched. I also suggest putting the money towards a Chanel medium flap rather than a bag that you won't like as much.

Reactions: Vvicky
Is there any other threads for this bag? I can’t find them if there are :/. Surprisingly since it’s been a popular bag. So I pulled the trigger on this bag from FP and hoping I will love it. If not, at least I can return. CA4C006A-2EF6-43F5-BF2E-073B69CFFD06.jpeg

I do not suggest getting this bag. The black hardware will look clearly "painted" if you try to cover up the parts that are scratched. I also suggest putting the money towards a Chanel medium flap rather than a bag that you won't like as much.
Thanks for your advice! I didn't get it at the end, after more research I found that college leather looks worn out fairly quickly

Reactions: averagejoe
I absolutely love mine - large size only because I just can’t pack my life down any more compact than the large.
I find it is an incredibly practical bag for an everyday bag. I tend to move in to a bag and wear it daily for many months - we are going into winter here so the black with silver hardware is perfect - but I love this design so much I’m considering getting a light coloured one for the seasonal flip side!
I have always found ysl to stand up quite well to wear but to be honest one thing I enjoy about ysl is the slightly smeared mascara kind of feel. I won’t care if it gets a little banged up.
I hope that doesn’t sound crazy!

I understand why some would feel the bag looks worn down. I think it loosens its shape because of the soft leather after some time. But honestly of all the bags I saw in the YSL boutique which I visited recently, this caught my attention. I loved the thick chain which was very lightweight and the bag was also much lighter in weight. I also love the back pocket. I was actually looking into the Loulou but was not impressed on how bulky the medium one looked and how small the smaller one looked. For me the toy loulou is too small. I think College is the perfect size for me. I am waiting for the brick one to get on sale which will likely not happen but I am still hoping...

Hey all, I just purchased the College Bag in Opyum Red & absolutely love it! I’ve been looking for a Red Leather purse in this tone for years and am very pleased with the style, functionality, & overall look of this bag.
But I was wondering if anyone had any tips of leather care. Has anyone used a protectant spray on it? Or is that not recommended? Thanks in advance!

Attachments

• 5D7F4BF1-1A52-47DC-92AE-BB2410F9D6F0.jpeg
    5D7F4BF1-1A52-47DC-92AE-BB2410F9D6F0.jpeg
    228 KB · Views: 109
Hey all, I just purchased the College Bag in Opyum Red & absolutely love it! I’ve been looking for a Red Leather purse in this tone for years and am very pleased with the style, functionality, & overall look of this bag.
But I was wondering if anyone had any tips of leather care. Has anyone used a protectant spray on it? Or is that not recommended? Thanks in advance!
I’m not really a Red bag person it depends on the Red color, but this is stunning!! :love: Sorry new to the brand so i have no advice to give. Enjoy this beauty!

• Love
Reactions: LCW884
I understand why some would feel the bag looks worn down. I think it loosens its shape because of the soft leather after some time. But honestly of all the bags I saw in the YSL boutique which I visited recently, this caught my attention. I loved the thick chain which was very lightweight and the bag was also much lighter in weight. I also love the back pocket. I was actually looking into the Loulou but was not impressed on how bulky the medium one looked and how small the smaller one looked. For me the toy loulou is too small. I think College is the perfect size for me. I am waiting for the brick one to get on sale which will likely not happen but I am still hoping...

I have a small loulou that I love, but the medium college in brick looks so much more carefree and wearable! I saw it last night on the Saint Laurent website and I was smitten. I was planning to get the Celine belt bag for summer so I may wait for the college until my birthday around October.

20210625_201450.jpg

So pretty! It's on my wishlist for sure.

I think I was this color in store too! It is stunning in person! Congrats!! How do you like it so far?

Reactions: LCW884
Need some assistance! Struggling to choose between the off white colour and khaki green. The Khaki green was my first reason to start loving the bag but I’ve since seen the off white and also liked that one… I don’t own any light coloured bags so figure it would be a good addition to my collection and a nice summer piece… but the khaki colour is stunning?! Help!!!!

Need some assistance! Struggling to choose between the off white colour and khaki green. The Khaki green was my first reason to start loving the bag but I’ve since seen the off white and also liked that one… I don’t own any light coloured bags so figure it would be a good addition to my collection and a nice summer piece… but the khaki colour is stunning?! Help!!!!
Which one do you think will go more with your wardrobe? I like the idea of the off white color but khakhi green color also sounds good for fall/winter.

I wear the large black version silver hardware everyday and I know I will want a light version of this bag for our summer (depths of winter right now).

It must also be silver hardware and large size. But I’m holding off on the white version currently available as I have never worn a white bag. I hope more colours continue to be released for the large size.
Is that a crazy expectation??

I love this style and tbh I could go for an even larger jumbo sized version too as I use it as an everyday beater work bag. However I think the magnet closure probably couldn’t handle a bigger, heavier bag.

The only criticism I have of the bag is the magnet closer. It’s a little fiddly getting it to catch. I much prefer proper twist lock closures but can’t have everything I guess.