The perennial dilemma - PHW or GHW with a neutral Kelly?

GHW or PHW with Gris Asphalt K28 Retourne?

• GHW

• PHW

• They both look equally good

Results are only viewable after voting.

baggirlriri

Jul 12, 2020
Hi ladies! I am looking to add a K28 retourne to my collection. I have narrowed it down to Gris Asphalte, which I find to be a very flattering shade of neutral/grey - it is not as dark as Etoupe or Etain and yet it is not as light as GT, so it feels like the ideal neutral. However, I remain in a dilemma in respect of the hardware.

Would you suggest going with PHW or GHW for this combination? The pictures of the two hardwares are attached!

For context, I work an office job and plan to use the bag on more casual work days or the weekends. On the one hand, I fear that GHW would be too dressy, but I am concerned the PHW would make the bag look plain/dull.

My collection current consists of a C24 Craie RGHW, K28 Black Box PHW and K28 Gold Epsom PHW.

TIA!

hermes-Kelly-28-Gris-Asphalt-Togo-GHW.jpg

Screenshot 2020-10-20 at 7.11.30 PM.png

Hermes_Kelly_28cm_Retourne_Veau_Togo_M8_Gris_Asphalte_Gold_Hardware_3_1024x1024.jpg

Hermes_Kelly_25cm_Retourne_Gris_Asphalte_M8_Togo_Leather_Palladium_Hardware_2_1024x1024.jpg

Last edited:
Thank you all! I really appreciate your input through the poll and replies. My heart was leaning towards GHW for GA and your responses just further reaffirmed it. I’ll go ahead with GHW and hopefully come back with some pics to share :smile:

Feel free to continue sharing your thoughts!

Reactions: jenngu
Go for what your heart says. They are both pretty in different ways and it’s 100000% pure personal preference.

I honestly don’t think HW color alone makes it too dressy or too casual. I wouldn’t worry about it at all.

Reactions: baggirlriri
They are both pretty... the PHW pulls out the cool tones and gold the warmth... I agree with above to go with your heart...and also think about what you'd wear this with. Are the cool or warm tones more in line with your overall aesthetic?

I have the exact bag in PHW and love it. That said, I don't own any GHW bags as they don't suit my wardrobe and lifestyle. Gris Asphalt is such a lovely color and truly goes with so much. Good luck.

Thank you so much! Do you happen to have a pic of your baby that you can share with me? My primary concern is that the PHW with GA would be too dull and fail to bring out the beauty of the Kelly. I have seen a B30 GA w/ GHW in real life and it was stunning, but I have not seen any bag in GA w/ PHW.

[QUOTE="baggirlriri, post: 34124557, member: Do you find the GHW to be a little too dressy when wearing casual clothes or when you’re in casual environments?
[/QUOTE]

Not at all.

It’s just a matter of personal preference. I tend to like gold hardware with neutral and jewel toned bags (i.e. malachite, etoupe). I tend to like palladium hardware for my bright colored bags (i.e. rouge casaque, blue hydra).

Don’t worry about the poll. Just go with your gut. If you were offered both, which one would you naturally grab first? Perhaps that scenario would help you decide.

I tend to be more of a PHW girl however looking at the images you posted for comparison I feel the PHW makes the bag look dull and the GHW just lifts it.
I dont think that it makes it more dressy because of the leather and the retourne style this bag can still be worn casually.

Thank you so much! Do you happen to have a pic of your baby that you can share with me? My primary concern is that the PHW with GA would be too dull and fail to bring out the beauty of the Kelly. I have seen a B30 GA w/ GHW in real life and it was stunning, but I have not seen any bag in GA w/ PHW.
I'm home today, (well of course, I am LOL) so I'll take a few pictures.