The 'micro' bag trend. Lovin' it? Or not?

To me, "minaudière" describes jewelry-type bag.
Pure decorative whimsy.
To accent outfit.
Not necessarily to do. But to be--preferably be beautiful.

I shun these bags for myself.
Because I spill things.
And wear jewelry/carry useful clutch instead.

However, for look, think hand-held works better than crossbody-style strap (op photo).
Because does not interfere with clothing lines. And seems more mature.
http://s.plurielles.fr/mmdia/i/73/7/toutes-addict-a-la-minaudiere-10660737yocnj_2041.jpg
Adds final spark. As exclamation point at end of outfit's sentence.

Hope helps.
The bags in these photos are quite a bit bigger than the ones in the first photos. And, I agree with you that they are lovely evening bags appropriate for when a person is rarely carrying daily stuff.

But the micro bags are quite a bit smaller yet seem to be for day / regular use. For me they are highly impractical. But, others with different needs may love them.

Reactions: Mariapia
I love the Valentino lipstick holder!! One please in the love blade. I probably won't buy it, but that's just because I need to save my dollars.
I do want a crossbody phone case.
These bags aren't that practical I guess, I would use the lipstick or phone case more than a small bag I can't quite fit everything in, and i would carry a second bag.

Reactions: ladysarah
I tend to go for crossbodies (SDJ Toy, MCM X-Mini Milla, or the like). I like the convenience of either being hands-free or being able to grab it quickly by the handles. That said, lately I've been addicted to the Bulgari card case in my avatar, which only has a short chain strap. I'll try to post some mod shots in a bit.
This is very very pretty. And I can see it functioning well. The lipstick sized minaudière by Valentino is quite adorable though... and I wonder if anyone here bought that. I've seen quite a few fendi peekaboos micro being carried around in London, but haven't seen the Valentino one in real life.

View attachment 3666581
This is such a fun trend with real joie de vivre! I couldn't resist visiting the Valentino boutique just to check the lipstick bag in person...
Nice! What did you think of the lipstick bag? Was it large enough to carry an ID?

It's a trend that always makes me smile. Micros are so fun and unencumbered. I love the frivolity it represents in my life.

Reactions: Sunshine mama
I'm quite over the micro bag trend to be honest. I'm surprised fashion houses are still dragging it until this day. I bought into the trend since the early spring of 2015 with the Fendi Micro Peekaboo, to LV Mini Backpacks and Nano bags, but I lost interest around this time a year ago. I honestly don't want to carry my mini bags out anymore but I couldn't bring myself to sell them either because I won't get back much.

But the reality is, carry what you love and if it makes you happy, who cares what other people think. I'll admit it was super fun toting the mini bags around and it's a really good conversation starter. Many people got fascinated when they saw me, a 5'11 guy toting around a mini bag that can really hold no more than 5 condoms :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:

This is a fun take on bags, but for sure they are just decorative pieces to a nice or fun outfit. I wouldnt personally invest in it unless if I buy a dress from Dolce & Gabanna and it came with it then I would wear it absolutely.

Reactions: ladysarah
Sorry these took so long. Mod shots of SDJ Toy, Tod's Mini Jewelry D-Cube, and Bulgari Serpenti Card Case.View attachment 3666463 View attachment 3666464 View attachment 3666465

These are amazing, thank you leechiyong

These are what I think of as the real mini or micro bags. They have 'normal' size established iconic counterparts and are correct down to most of the finest details. Because of this they take just as long to produce and are really collectors' pieces.

I think there's a place in people's wardrobe for a few smaller bags. Not all small bags are made for the same function. It's knowing which one will work.

A minaudière are specific cocktail wear, perfect excuse for ditching phones and keys and hopping from hotel > limo > gallery opening/first night party > limo > hotel.

WOC are basically wallets on chains. Great for wearing in addition to a smaller handbag or a shopper.

Small X-body pouch. Great for travelling or keeping valuables close. The flatter ones can go under coats and jackets.

Convertible clutches, nothing is smarter and more practical if the owner can downsize to essentials.

Unless doing the 'flower child' thing (a la classic Rachel Zoe or Stevie Nicks) a longer dress, wide-leg trous/pants or prom-style curvy dress will look more balanced a smaller bag.

I'm quite over the micro bag trend to be honest. I'm surprised fashion houses are still dragging it until this day. I bought into the trend since the early spring of 2015 with the Fendi Micro Peekaboo, to LV Mini Backpacks and Nano bags, but I lost interest around this time a year ago. I honestly don't want to carry my mini bags out anymore but I couldn't bring myself to sell them either because I won't get back much.

But the reality is, carry what you love and if it makes you happy, who cares what other people think. I'll admit it was super fun toting the mini bags around and it's a really good conversation starter. Many people got fascinated when they saw me, a 5'11 guy toting around a mini bag that can really hold no more than 5 condoms :biggrin::biggrin::biggrin:
:lol:
Only on TPF :smile:

For some reason (answering which size of bag I prefer on another thread here got me reminiscing I guess) this reminds me of when I met a friend's friend, a big guy about your height, at a rock festival, donned in a calf length kaftan and a bicycle handle bar. That was a great conversation starter as well :lol: Guys can really be gifted in this art.

To keep on topic thank you papertiger for explaining the different variations. Personally I think they are cute but think of them more as bag charms (?) or as jewellery with a really tiny storage function.

Nice! What did you think of the lipstick bag? Was it large enough to carry an ID?

It's a trend that always makes me smile. Micros are so fun and unencumbered. I love the frivolity it represents in my life.
I was fascinated with the lipstick bag! They start at around £450.00GBP and are lovely as an additional accessory. They don't hold anything other than a Valentino lipstick, the rest of the body is a mirror compact. I took some photos and wrote a blog post here: https://ladysarahinlondon.wordpress...ate-how-to-wear-the-new-micro-bag/#more-90803