The LV Rescue Club

Thanks! I probably need to do a bit more but it's SO much better. I used a Cape Cod Cloth and buffed with a microfiber cloth.
I bought and used the Cape Cod Cloth and it really did brighten up the zipper better than the Brasso did! I gave it a good buffing with the microfiber cloth afterward, as you did and it really brought out the shine. A tip for anyone that uses a Cape Cod Cloth... I cut the cloth into a smaller 1" strip to make it easier to use.

• Love
Reactions: bennifer
Hi PF-ers,

I recently fell in love with vintage lv bags and finally got my hands on a bordeaux GM at a good price but she arrived with much more damage than i thought on the canvas. As you can see in the photos, the canvas- both front and back are warped, bubbly and when i press on those areas, it kinda "clicks". I have never seen anything like it to even begin to fix this :sad:
Does anyone of you have any idea or suggestion? I would ideally like to fix it as returns would be such a pain and I would lose probably around 50USD to taxes and shipping alone. Any thoughts are appreciated!20230421_131939.jpg20230421_131953.jpg

Reactions: Lajka
Inspired by this thread I picked up some brasso today and polished up my Amazone!
View attachment 5806337View attachment 5806338
View attachment 5806339View attachment 5806340
I think I still want to have all the vachetta and metal pieces replaced on this bad boy but this fix will tie me over for a bit
Love seeing your in action posts, your smile and happiness really shines through! This thread is amazing, I’ve learned so much and had similar results using brasso and magic eraser too.
I notice what looks like a crack/repair in the canvas on the strap, is it?

Hi PF-ers,

I recently fell in love with vintage lv bags and finally got my hands on a bordeaux GM at a good price but she arrived with much more damage than i thought on the canvas. As you can see in the photos, the canvas- both front and back are warped, bubbly and when i press on those areas, it kinda "clicks". I have never seen anything like it to even begin to fix this :sad:
Does anyone of you have any idea or suggestion? I would ideally like to fix it as returns would be such a pain and I would lose probably around 50USD to taxes and shipping alone. Any thoughts are appreciated!View attachment 5767023View attachment 5767024

I'm a little late to this one, do you still have it? Try leaving it in the sun but fill it up so it's got a curvature when the canvas has softened but monitor it though

I had a monogram cles and it had bumps due to having coins in it, I filled the inside with folded paper then put a cloth over it and hairdryed it and did it over and over and now it's 100% back to straight now

Careful if you plan on hairdrying though cause I think I dried out a tiny spot on my bag so I reckon sun is safer

Reactions: darkangel07760
Hello, ladies,
I would like to ask for advice: can this corrosion on the Alma handbag be polished? The handbag is about 10 years old. If I use Brasso - do I have to remove the top layer from absolutely all hardware surfaces on the entire bag? Because of the unification of colors? And the metal underneath is gold colored?

Attachments

• 1697631792.jpeg
    1697631792.jpeg
    151.4 KB · Views: 18
And here the same question: as you can see, the metal under the surface looks silver. If I use Brasso, will I get a "golden" nice finish? And again - for all the hardware on the bag?

Thank you in advance for your advices and opinions! :heart::smile:

Attachments

• 1691408356.jpeg
    1691408356.jpeg
    41.8 KB · Views: 12
And here the same question: as you can see, the metal under the surface looks silver. If I use Brasso, will I get a "golden" nice finish? And again - for all the hardware on the bag?

Thank you in advance for your advices and opinions! :heart::smile:
I used a Cape Cod cloth on my almost 28 year old Deauville and it came out so much nicer than I was anticipating (there are pics a page or two back in this thread) It was easy to use. The only thing I'd do differently is wear gloves when doing it. They have a very strong vanilla scent. Like VERY strong and it took awhile to get rid of the scent from my hands. Still totally worth it though!

Reactions: Lajka
I have a very old, vintage noe with cracks on the canvas so i experimented and transformed it to nano noe. I made a mistake on the bottom part because i used a treated vachetta leather instead of canvas. Here's the finished product. I'm so happy with my work!

I used a replacement strap i bought from amazon and used a strap extender because I'm plus size

Attachments

• IMG_0309.jpeg
    IMG_0309.jpeg
    158.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_0310.jpeg
    IMG_0310.jpeg
    74.6 KB · Views: 37
So happy to find this group and club. I have long enjoyed restoring cars, furniture, rifles, etc, but never thought about bags. Most of our marriage Coach was about as expensive of a purse as my wife would buy. Unfortunately, this year my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and during a random conversation I discovered she always wanted a LV bag. The timing was perfect because to celebrate her finishing 12 rounds of chemo I wanted to giv her a surprise.

As I started to look around at LV I became overwhelmed by all of the fakes and scores of websites claiming their's are authentic. Fortunately my niece is an LV connoisseur and owns many bags, most of which she bought new but also a few pre-loved. To keep this somewhat short, with my nieces help, I was able to purchase her a near new pre-loved LV bag from a site recommended on this forum.

And that is what sent me down the rabbit hole. I saw so many beautiful bags that were flawed by leather cracking, water spots, creases, etc. that I knew could be brought back to life. I am currently in the research phase and reading through this thread has really helped me learn and gives me confidence many of these bags can come back to life. I have no interest in refurbishing to resell and plan to find some bags that interest my wife and niece and get to work on them.

Apologies for the long introduction, but I wanted to let everyone know how much I appreciate the information and pictures of the bags you have transformed. I hope to have as much success as many of you and will post pics of my work along the way. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!

I hope your wife is well. I am a breast cancer survivor and was lucky enough to have a wonderful supportive husband as it sounds like you have been to your wife. Wishing you both the best and wishing your wife a cancer free future!

• Insightful
Reactions: Monogramboy
I hope your wife is well. I am a breast cancer survivor and was lucky enough to have a wonderful supportive husband as it sounds like you have been to your wife. Wishing you both the best and wishing your wife a cancer free future!
Thank you for the kind words and congratulations on wining the fight! Im sure it was a long and hard road, but you did it, and I believe my wife will too! She had her lumpectomy last month and they found no evidence of (residual) disease. Those words literally brought me to tears.

We have never been through anything like this but I truly did my best to support her. I made a "rule" that said if there are any chores that I can do, then she wasn't allowed to do it. She has had one job since her diagnoses and that is to fight cancer! She is in radiation now, and will still have almost a year of antibody infusions, but I think we are staring to see light at the end of the tunnel. She is an amazing woman and I am so grateful to have her as my partner in life!

So happy to find this group and club. I have long enjoyed restoring cars, furniture, rifles, etc, but never thought about bags. Most of our marriage Coach was about as expensive of a purse as my wife would buy. Unfortunately, this year my wife was diagnosed with breast cancer and during a random conversation I discovered she always wanted a LV bag. The timing was perfect because to celebrate her finishing 12 rounds of chemo I wanted to giv her a surprise.

As I started to look around at LV I became overwhelmed by all of the fakes and scores of websites claiming their's are authentic. Fortunately my niece is an LV connoisseur and owns many bags, most of which she bought new but also a few pre-loved. To keep this somewhat short, with my nieces help, I was able to purchase her a near new pre-loved LV bag from a site recommended on this forum.

And that is what sent me down the rabbit hole. I saw so many beautiful bags that were flawed by leather cracking, water spots, creases, etc. that I knew could be brought back to life. I am currently in the research phase and reading through this thread has really helped me learn and gives me confidence many of these bags can come back to life. I have no interest in refurbishing to resell and plan to find some bags that interest my wife and niece and get to work on them.

Apologies for the long introduction, but I wanted to let everyone know how much I appreciate the information and pictures of the bags you have transformed. I hope to have as much success as many of you and will post pics of my work along the way. Thanks again for sharing your knowledge!
While I mainly buys designer items for years from second hand market, I always, always tell my family and friends, please buy new from the boutique, don’t buy from secondary market, unless you are going to make it as a business, or buys very frequently like over 10 times a year, or really can’t afford the item you are eyeing on. Secondary market is extremely dangerous, I’m not talking about authenticity here, assuming you buy from trusted sources. And repair is expensive if you are thinking of buy cheap worn out items bring to LV to repair. With the down market as we are now, those repair cost could even exceed resale value even after repaired.

I say these words because I just feel I should let you know the other side of buying second hand especially you are buying as gift