The JADE thread!

Just for fun, I pulled out this old bracelet that my mother-in-law gave me. My father-in-law bought it for her in the 60’s from some estate jewelry shop. It kind of has a “roaring 20’s” feel to it..jade on silver filigree vermeil. I saw this video on filigree and it’s a chinese art form and quite labor intensive to make..bunch of intricate wire twisting that will make your head spin and eyes cross:whut:..anyway, I’ve had it for years and never wore it. I really kind of like it now. Actually, this thread has helped me appreciate jade a lot more! Thanks!

View attachment 4435871

View attachment 4435872

I love this combo especially that gorgeous teal bangle. Is Hetian nephrite supposed to change over time?

Hi 2boys yes! I was trying to find some articles but not v easy. In ancient times when polishing was not as good, the change in Hetian jade would be more obvious. People say that the change was due to the touch by the wearer. The change in the appearance can be classified to oil, transparency and texture. Some even claim the inclusion would become less obvious.

The change probably is less obvious nowadays given all the products are well polished. But I’m still interested to see how it goes.

I found these photos online to show the before and after. The beads in latter photo are more shiny....

Before
B92A9C86-D180-4DBD-916D-7E47015D0842.jpeg

After
06C8456D-A224-487B-9FBE-839776A1F357.jpeg

Hi 2boys yes! I was trying to find some articles but not v easy. In ancient times when polishing was not as good, the change in Hetian jade would be more obvious. People say that the change was due to the touch by the wearer. The change in the appearance can be classified to oil, transparency and texture. Some even claim the inclusion would become less obvious.

The change probably is less obvious nowadays given all the products are well polished. But I’m still interested to see how it goes.

I found these photos online to show the before and after. The beads in latter photo are more shiny....

Before
View attachment 4436062

After
View attachment 4436063

Very interesting and I do see that your beads have become more luminous. Thank you sharing. [emoji4]

Reactions: Cyanide Rose
Just for fun, I pulled out this old bracelet that my mother-in-law gave me. My father-in-law bought it for her in the 60’s from some estate jewelry shop. It kind of has a “roaring 20’s” feel to it..jade on silver filigree vermeil. I saw this video on filigree and it’s a chinese art form and quite labor intensive to make..bunch of intricate wire twisting that will make your head spin and eyes cross:whut:..anyway, I’ve had it for years and never wore it. I really kind of like it now. Actually, this thread has helped me appreciate jade a lot more! Thanks!

View attachment 4435871

View attachment 4435872

This is lovely. Nice to have a piece of family history [emoji4]