The Holiday Thread

If anyone needs a Bundt pan, Casaware (recommended by @DoggieBags ) is excellent
I do butter and flour the pan, but the cake just fell out, no sticking and it’s easy to clean.
blueberry cream cheese pound cake with double berries and a scant spoon of baking powder (no lemon extract)
crosspost from small things that make you happy thread

IMG_0197.jpegIMG_0196.jpegIMG_3145.jpeg

a version of Barbara Kafka‘s melting potatoes, which is a version of fondant potatoes

If anyone needs a Bundt pan, Casaware (recommended by @DoggieBags ) is excellent
I do butter and flour the pan, but the cake just fell out, no sticking and it’s easy to clean.
blueberry cream cheese pound cake with double berries and a scant spoon of baking powder (no lemon extract)
crosspost from small things that make you happy thread

View attachment 5900268View attachment 5900269View attachment 5900270

I've made a Youtube recipe for a plain creamcheese poundcake (via Cupcake Jemma who runs a very successful bakery in London) and I've had to hand out the recipe so many times. It is truly good.

• Insightful
Reactions: 880 and jennlt
So I am almost done baking, half a week too late. I think all that is left is putting chocolate on one kind of cookies, making French nougat tomorrow, possibly a type of almond chocolates (but only if I can get a specific kind of chocolate to make them) and then two kinds of cookies to give as gifts, but that won't be until maybe the 22nd. Putting together a plate for grandma and a gift bag for my brother's friend who informed us they'd be really, really happy to receive some, and then I might bake another batch of stollen (my first try over the weekend was a success! Though I felt I didn't even know what I was doing :lol: ). Will post pictures once everything is arranged nicely.

This year I can't catch up somehow.

So I am almost done baking, half a week too late. I think all that is left is putting chocolate on one kind of cookies, making French nougat tomorrow, possibly a type of almond chocolates (but only if I can get a specific kind of chocolate to make them) and then two kinds of cookies to give as gifts, but that won't be until maybe the 22nd. Putting together a plate for grandma and a gift bag for my brother's friend who informed us they'd be really, really happy to receive some, and then I might bake another batch of stollen (my first try over the weekend was a success! Though I felt I didn't even know what I was doing :lol: ). Will post pictures once everything is arranged nicely.

This year I can't catch up somehow.
Stollen :love:

• Love
Reactions: QueenofWrapDress

a version of Barbara Kafka‘s melting potatoes, which is a version of fondant potatoes
It looks delicious! I’m going to make it for this Christmas party too!

• Thanks
Reactions: 880
Is it Christmas decorating time yet? Asking for a friend. 😜
I started putting my lights up after Halloween :lol: If I'm putting them up I'm gonna milk all the enjoyment I can!

I need to dig up some more ornaments. My late mother did a great job packing everything every year! I already put up the same few ornaments from last year plus a new one but I want more! :panic:

Bought a couple gifts (tennis shoes and a Peppa Pig Ferris Wheel) for a toddler girl whose family is part of our neighborhood gift drive.

I'm already thinking about how I'm going to get all the lights down off my house. Tying them to my bumper and flooring it is looking like a much more palatable option every day I add more :biggrin:

Will be saving those potato recipes. I'd be very happy if I could be a potato-based lifeform.

I'm a little into basic candymaking lately. I made French nougat, French nutella nougat (lazy shortcut because I didn't feel like making gianduja from scratch but works really well and tastes great), bought the stuff for my favourite Lindt nut chocolate thing (basically just slivered almonds coated in high quality chocolate. Lindt does them in their mixed chocolates boxes, but usually two per big box haha. My recipe asks for toasting almonds with a small amount of sugar syrup, I do think the syrup is optional) and then I found this brittle recipe that was highly recommended in one of my Facebook groups. Not super fond of peanuts, pecans are outrageously expensive in Germany, pistachios are outrateously expensive everywhere and I feel they might be a little lost in a brittle, so I think cashews it is.

I also bought a chewy caramel recipe from an industry insider (recipe looks great as far as results, but I was surprised to see this person who has a degree in food chemistry and has worked as a developer in the candy industry doesn't know how to properly write a recipe - for starters, unless you are a professional baker who always starts with the flour, the ingredient that's used first goes on top - AND has small mistakes here and there in the recipe they are selling for money which I do find sloppy) and will make a batch to gift to my mother. I swear this woman's main food group is sugar :lol:

Last edited:
We like vanilla and caramel flavours (haven't figured out how to add a caramel swirl to the nougat re: consistency and mixing just yet). I tend to also like hints of coffee when I don't even drink coffee at all.

Thanks for the flavor suggestions! Coffee and caramel do sound like an awesome combination.

For swirling the caramel into the nougat, have you tried heating it just to the soft ball stage first? That might give it enough thickness to swirl without fully mixing in. Could even try with a few small chunks for variety.

And what about other extracts like hazelnut or almond? I'll bet those would be delicious too. No shortage of experiments to try, that's for sure.

• Love
Reactions: QueenofWrapDress