The Handmaid's Tale on HULU

Those watching, do you feel it is worth signing up with Hulu for? I loved Elizabeth Moss in Mad Men and this
series has gotten such positive reviews. My concern is that it might be a bit depressing. However,
sometimes we need to expand our minds!!

I definitely think it's worth signing up for Hulu! I'm using a fiends account to watch but totally would have signed up myself if this wasn't an option.

Reactions: SouthTampa
I feel like the present day stuff last night was kind of filler, but still a good episode. Dying to know what happened to Moira since the crazy one eyed girl said she ends up at the labor camp.....

I was wondering what happens to the Handmaid after they gave birth. Obviously, the baby is handed over to their "mother" but then I saw Janine in the big, fluffy bed. Someone comes over with the baby because she was hungry and she began to nurse.

That scene reminded me of people like The Duggars and others who are Fundamentalists or even the people on shows like My Big Fat Gypsy Wedding (the girls in that show are Irish Travelers and therefore Catholic but it's along these same lines).

I remember in the Gypsy Wedding thread, I pointed out while the girls are nowhere near as covered up as the Duggars are, purity and reputation are very important things. So much so that unmarried girls aren't allowed to go anywhere on their own. I also noticed that planning the wedding is such a big thing because that's the only thing she truly got to be in charge of. After that, her role is to clean the caravan, raise children and serve her husband.

In 19 Kids and Counting the real excitement revolves around a Duggar daughter's marriage or baby. Their whole lives are spent being trained to be helpmeets to their husbands and mothers to their children.

It's like the Duggars and the girls on Gypsy Wedding are expected to be combinations of Serena and the Handmaids.

Another thing I noticed: the Handmaids are so covered up that when Offred (which I thought was one letter off from 'offered' but means "Of Fred" or "Belonging to Fred") was changing her shoes she flashes a bit of knee, and it's like she was flashing the house's driver.

I assume they give birth, nurse the baby, then go back to trying to get pregnant again. I think that is Janine's regular room in the house, probably because they are rich, where Offred's is more barren because Serena Joy doesn't care and doesn't have as much money?

I assume they give birth, nurse the baby, then go back to trying to get pregnant again. I think that is Janine's regular room in the house, probably because they are rich, where Offred's is more barren because Serena Joy doesn't care and doesn't have as much money?
Makes sense, though if the Handmaids have rooms in the families' houses, why are they all in cots in the same room? Part of me thinks that the Handmaids do chores in the Big Houses, and when they give birth, and are nursing, they have a bedroom in the House. Otherwise they sleep in the cots room.

Makes sense, though if the Handmaids have rooms in the families' houses, why are they all in cots in the same room? Part of me thinks that the Handmaids do chores in the Big Houses, and when they give birth, and are nursing, they have a bedroom in the House. Otherwise they sleep in the cots room.

I think the Handmaids are always at a posting once they have been "trained" at the Rachel and Leah Center. They cycle constantly in and out of postings at commanders houses, and if a posting goes wrong, they are sent to the "colonies," not back to the Center. All the scenes of them sleeping on cots at the Center are flashbacks.

That SNL skit was so funny!

I had an idea of what was coming up in tonight's episode, but I wasn't fully prepared for it. It's one thing reading about it, it's quite another seeing it onscreen. (Well, you didn't actually see it. I don't think I could handle it if you could see it. You saw the aftermath, but still...)

New plan: because this series is so deep and think-y, I'm going to need something mindless and stupid after it. So I'll watch KUTWK after.

Those women are so brainwashed. I'm pretty sure if I got a cattle prod to the neck, there'd be a LOT of f words involved.

The series has been renewed for season 2. I hope it's the same arrangement: Hulu for the US, Bravo for Canada.

During Ofred's interrogation, the Auntie asked her to remember her Scriptures and started with "Blessed are the meek."

Ofred said the rest of the verse back to her, but I noticed her voice got more and more like she was using the Auntie's own Bible verse against her. (That earned her a good cattle prodding.)

The entire verse goes: "Blessed are the meek, for they will inherit the earth. Blessed are those who hunger and thirst for righteousness, for they will be filled. Blessed are the merciful, for they will be shown mercy. Blessed are the pure in heart, for they will see God. Blessed are the peacemakers, for they will be called children of God. Blessed are those who are persecuted because of righteousness, for theirs is the kingdom of heaven."

It goes on to say “Blessed are you when people insult you, and falsely say all kinds of evil against you because of me. Rejoice and be glad, because great is your reward in heaven, for in the same way they persecuted the prophets who were before you."

Matthew 5 5-12

Reactions: SWlife
How has she spent time alone with the Commander 34 times (in their home) without his wife knowing? The way she spoke to the Commander was as an equal not as someone subservient. The Commander`s wife is even cautious when speaking with him. I may need to watch this episode again.