The Handmaid's Tale on HULU

Margaret Atwood was interviewed at the Festival of Books in Los Angeles last weekend. I secured tickets to see her speak along with the show runner for Hulu, Bruce Miller. The day before her interview, handmaids walked around the campus of USC in character! It was so shocking and cool to see. Here are photos.

IMG_1493427339.198553.jpg

IMG_1493427355.079036.jpg

IMG_1493427366.063960.jpg

IMG_1493427376.281200.jpg

I saw her cameo in the first episode, you have to be quick to recognize her.

This show is interesting. I watched the first 3 episodes. Is it following the book exactly? If so how will that make more than 1 season?

Based on the interview I saw with the author and show's producer, they are following the book as closely as possible, but certain things have to change for television, mainly timelines, but also adding diversity in casting. Another example is when she wrote the book in 1985 there were no cellphones, but the book's timeframe is "today". So in the show they have cellphones. Bruce also said that the show will allow them to expand on things more than a book allows, like what happens to a particular character, and so on. I'm thinking this could be multiple seasons. Why not, it's money for Hulu, right?

Finally got to watch the first 2 episodes yesterday. I feel it's following the book pretty closely as far as characters & their reactions. Elizabeth Moss is completely buried in the character. She's totally believable in this role.

I binged the first 3 episodes and need to see more! Riveting so far- it's been a long time since I've watched a series that compels you to think about each episodes for hours after...very true to the book in some ways (some exact dialogue etc.)

My parents have a copy of the book. The only Margaret Atwood book I've read bits of was The Blind Assassin, and that was back in college.

In the first episode, I noticed the little girls wearing pink dresses. Like they aren't ready for the red dresses yet, but they will be.

I'm not familiar with the book, so how do women become Commander's wives and how do they become Handmaidens?

Offred's "friend" Ofglen is played by Alexis Bledel (Rory in Gilmore Girls).

In the book, Serena Joy was an evangelist, someone along the lines of Tammy Faye Bakker. Don't really know how the marriage to the Commander came about.
The Handmaids have had previous viable pregnancies, so are proven to be fertile. Remember in the flashback that the baby nursery was empty when Jen's (is that her name?) baby was born?

Reactions: caitlin1214
Just saw the first 2 episodes - Elisabeth Moss is outstanding. I haven't read the book in a while but I'm riveted and from what I remember the series seems to be following the book. Spotted Margaret Atwood!

Very surreal and chilling effect showing current every day life juxtaposed against the Handmaids, the black cars of the eye; the hangings and the way women's individual identities are just wiped out by the state.

I think when Margaret Atwood wrote this book it was partly in response to the rise of right wing evangelicalism in the 80s but I also can't but help think of Isis and life under territories controlled by them.

Reactions: L etoile
I'm enjoying the series. I read the book about a month ago--was so enthralled that I finished it in 48 hours! The adaptation is just as unsettling and an interesting.
The guy they cast as Nick definitely isn't what I envisioned from the book, and neither is the actress playing Serena (I thought she was supposed to be quite a bit older).
Can't wait for more episodes!!

Reactions: simplyhappy
The fact that the wives are present for everything makes it so odd. (The birth part, I get, since the women are essentially forced surrogates - though the acting out of symbolic labor is weird - but during conception!?!)

The fact that the wives are present for everything makes it so odd. (The birth part, I get, since the women are essentially forced surrogates - though the acting out of symbolic labor is weird - but during conception!?!)

I think the wives are there during sex with the handmaid for a couple of reasons - first to minimize jealousy or the risk that the husband could develop feelings for the handmaid - the handmaid is not supposed to be alone with him or even look at him too.

I think its also to emphasize that this is religious rite - not simply sex.

The whole process of being there during sex, acting out labour pains also minimizes the importance of the handmaid. The irony of course is that their ability to conceive gives the handmaid considerable power in society where procreation is difficult and it seems like whenever it comes to women and sex - society wants control - the very power of the handmaid's ability to conceive means her power has of be minimized and controlled - individual choice and individualism is taken away by the state and she becomes reduced to a function of her uterus.

I'm enjoying the series. I read the book about a month ago--was so enthralled that I finished it in 48 hours! The adaptation is just as unsettling and an interesting.
The guy they cast as Nick definitely isn't what I envisioned from the book, and neither is the actress playing Serena (I thought she was supposed to be quite a bit older).
Can't wait for more episodes!!

They said they cast Serena and the Commander younger so that there'd be some viable tension & competition between the three of them (with Offred), which may not exist if Serena were the age in the book.

Reactions: CanuckBagLover
What did you think of yesterday's epi? I don't feel like events moved forward very quickly.... but I wonder about Moira.
The Aunts are frightening. When women won't take care of our own, it's so scary.
The Commander- he's despicable to me in a way, and yet pitiful at the same time.

Those watching, do you feel it is worth signing up with Hulu for? I loved Elizabeth Moss in Mad Men and this
series has gotten such positive reviews. My concern is that it might be a bit depressing. However,
sometimes we need to expand our minds!!