The GST Club

Your bags are gorgeous! I feel the same. I have the same GSTs (and also the double-zip WOC). I use my GSTs all the time... the size, the storage, everything about it is perfect!

The new totes don't come close in my opinion. [emoji1]

Thank you! I so agree!!! There are some really cute new totes that have come out but there's just something I especially love about the classic lines of the GST.

Does any of your GST loose shapes over time? Do you find the straps slip off easily when carry over the shoulder?

All my GSTs slightly slouch in the back only but not in the front. Not one slouches in the front. After years of wondering why I finally think I have the answer. It's over stuffing the back inside pocket that causes it. I put my keys and lipsticks in inside back zipper pocket and it can weigh a bit (I carry a bunch of lipsticks!). The backs of my GSTs on the edges slouch a bit. But... the fronts are all perfect. I realized while I put stuff in the front half of the GST, I never put anything in the front little inside pocket. I only put stuff in the front open half. So I concluded it must be the weight inside those little pockets that causes the edges to slouch. One time I did a test and really stuffed the back inside pocket and sure enough it slouched a bit more. I don't mind it though as it's a lived-in look. And yes, I still put keys and lipsticks in my back inside zipper pocket. I was just curious why it only happens to the back of my GSTs. I am talking I have 7 GSTs and NOT ONE of the fronts slouch so I had to find out! [emoji51]

I would love to know if you are seeing the same. If your GST slouches, do you put heavy items in those little inside pockets? To test what I mean.... put your fist in the inside front little pocket and put your first all the way down. See how it begins to slouch? And when I put a laptop in the front section (or put your fist in the open front section), there is no slouching at all! So... that's my theory at least. [emoji849]

On the straps, if I cross them so the one near me overlaps with the outer one, t doesn't fall off. Or, I push the GST toward the back and my upper arm keeps it up.

Hope this helps.

Last edited:
I have seen some that have lost their shape. I have seen some that have stayed very nice over time. For me, the most important things are - don't overfill the bag so that it's extremely heavy, and store it flat on its back on the shelf with stuffing inside. These two things have kept my bags in really nice shape even though I use them often.

Thanks for your suggestion! I have seen some pre-owned GSTs that are in really bad shapes. I have mine for almost 3 years but still haven't use it I'm into small crossbody bags for the past few years and lately I'm trying to figure out how this bag can fit into my lifestyle. It's good to know that this bag can still maintain its shape even with frequent use.

All my GSTs slightly slouch in the back only but not in the front. Not one slouches in the front. After years of wondering why I finally think I have the answer. It's over stuffing the back inside pocket that causes it. I put my keys and lipsticks in inside back zipper pocket and it can weigh a bit (I carry a bunch of lipsticks!). The backs of my GSTs on the edges slouch a bit. But... the fronts are all perfect. I realized while I put stuff in the front half of the GST, I never put anything in the front little inside pocket. I only put stuff in the front open half. So I concluded it must be the weight inside those little pockets that causes the edges to slouch. One time I did a test and really stuffed the back inside pocket and sure enough it slouched a bit more. I don't mind it though as it's a lived-in look. And yes, I still put keys and lipsticks in my back inside zipper pocket. I was just curious why it only happens to the back of my GSTs. I am talking I have 7 GSTs and NOT ONE of the fronts slouch so I had to find out! [emoji51]

I would love to know if you are seeing the same. If your GST slouches, do you put heavy items in those little inside pockets? To test what I mean.... put your fist in the inside front little pocket and put your first all the way down. See how it begins to slouch? And when I put a laptop in the front section (or put your fist in the open front section), there is no slouching at all! So... that's my theory at least. [emoji849]

On the straps, if I cross them so the one near me overlaps with the outer one, t doesn't fall off. Or, I push the GST toward the back and my upper arm keeps it up.

Hope this helps.

Oh that's a very important observation that only frequent users can detect! I own mine for almost 3 years but I still haven't use it The hardware still has protective stickers. I took this bag out of the dust bag recently and I was just wondering should I sell it or give it a try. I just think this bag is too fancy to use as a diaper bag. If not with kids, I personally don't have much to carry, even going to work. The straps also bother me a bit. I read some earlier posts that over time, the straps will not come off as easily, I wonder if that's really the case. Even I cross the straps, I still find the bag comes off my shoulder easily.

If your bags only slouch in the back, does that mean the back lean to the front, or slightly lower than the front? If I decide to keep the bag, I will definitely take your advice, keep less things in the back zipper pocket.

I've had mine for three years now and it still doesn't slouch. The bottoms corners are softening slightly but in general the shape is still intact. I've been using it for work but I am careful not to overstuff it. I put very small paper items in the inside pockets but lots of my valuables in the inside center pocket. All in all I agree with the above poster that this is the best value bag that Chanel made. I love this bag!!

Reactions: Susanvh
Oh that's a very important observation that only frequent users can detect! I own mine for almost 3 years but I still haven't use it The hardware still has protective stickers. I took this bag out of the dust bag recently and I was just wondering should I sell it or give it a try. I just think this bag is too fancy to use as a diaper bag. If not with kids, I personally don't have much to carry, even going to work. The straps also bother me a bit. I read some earlier posts that over time, the straps will not come off as easily, I wonder if that's really the case. Even I cross the straps, I still find the bag comes off my shoulder easily.

If your bags only slouch in the back, does that mean the back lean to the front, or slightly lower than the front? If I decide to keep the bag, I will definitely take your advice, keep less things in the back zipper pocket.

Hi! No, it doesn't really tilt as it's only the bottom that slouches a bit. Here is a photo of two so you can see what I mean. The bag is facing left, so the bottom right is the back of the bag. You can see the slight slouch.

I love the GST and wish they made more colors! I don't carry a lot either. On most regular days. I carry keys and 4 lipsticks (yea, lipstick junkie) in that darn back zipper pocket. Then sunglasses in the front half. Nothing in the back half or the front little pocket. Inside the zipper, I carry the little credit card holder and the small 0-pouch. And a pack of Kleenex. That's really it. You wonder why I carry such a big bag... my friends have asked the same.

I carry this bag because I love it and it's so chic! It's a big Tote look which I love. (I am not a fan of tiny little cute bags). I'm more for the classic chic look. And it's not too dressy and not sloppy like a hobo. So it's perfect for me.

I would definitely use it as a diaper bag. You would be a totally chic mom in that Tote. [emoji1]
IMG_1496668100.001308.jpg

Hope this helps.

Brilliant deduction on overfilling the shorter inside pockets! I typically don't use the inside pockets except maybe for the odd slip of paper so maybe that's why I have been lucky with them not slouching too much. Great call!

As far as the straps slipping off the shoulder, mine sure did when the bag was new, but now they don't really do that any more. I don't know if it's because the the straps have softened some and the bag has gotten used to being on my shoulder, or my shoulder has gotten used to carrying the bag a certain way. Either way it's not a challenge any more.

Hi! No, it doesn't really tilt as it's only the bottom that slouches a bit. Here is a photo of two so you can see what I mean. The bag is facing left, so the bottom right is the back of the bag. You can see the slight slouch.

I love the GST and wish they made more colors! I don't carry a lot either. On most regular days. I carry keys and 4 lipsticks (yea, lipstick junkie) in that darn back zipper pocket. Then sunglasses in the front half. Nothing in the back half or the front little pocket. Inside the zipper, I carry the little credit card holder and the small 0-pouch. And a pack of Kleenex. That's really it. You wonder why I carry such a big bag... my friends have asked the same.

I carry this bag because I love it and it's so chic! It's a big Tote look which I love. (I am not a fan of tiny little cute bags). I'm more for the classic chic look. And it's not too dressy and not sloppy like a hobo. So it's perfect for me.

I would definitely use it as a diaper bag. You would be a totally chic mom in that Tote. [emoji1]
View attachment 3720694
Thanks for sharing the pic! I see what you mean now. I don't think they are that bad considering you carry them a lot. Are the one above PST? They look pretty well kept...seems like the quilts help maintain the shape.

I think the GST is dressy enough to elevate one's look...that's what I like about it...the newer totes are nice but too pricey...and some are over design in my opinion.

My kids will destroy the GST. The water or food spill...I'm sure one of them will accidentally step on it...forget it

Brilliant deduction on overfilling the shorter inside pockets! I typically don't use the inside pockets except maybe for the odd slip of paper so maybe that's why I have been lucky with them not slouching too much. Great call!

As far as the straps slipping off the shoulder, mine sure did when the bag was new, but now they don't really do that any more. I don't know if it's because the the straps have softened some and the bag has gotten used to being on my shoulder, or my shoulder has gotten used to carrying the bag a certain way. Either way it's not a challenge any more.
That's good to know. I'm leaning towards keeping the bag if the straps will not be an issue after I start using it. Thx for sharing your experience!

Thanks for sharing the pic! I see what you mean now. I don't think they are that bad considering you carry them a lot. Are the one above PST? They look pretty well kept...seems like the quilts help maintain the shape.

I think the GST is dressy enough to elevate one's look...that's what I like about it...the newer totes are nice but too pricey...and some are over design in my opinion.

My kids will destroy the GST. The water or food spill...I'm sure one of them will accidentally step on it...forget it

Hi! The ones above are Medallions which is another discontinued style I used to collect. I've moved on to the Coco Handle, but the GST is still the bag I love the most. I wear a GST 90% of the time.

Hi there
Can you tell me if this chanel GST is normal size or xl? I'm looking for one to buy and found this one but so so confused with the photos and the size. The owner said it's 33cm wide?
http://www.videdressing.com/sacs-a-main-en-cuir/chanel/p-6373194.html
It looks ok for everyone's opinion?
Thanks so much for your help
Love gst
It looks like a XL GST to me... but it looks not in a good shape, to be honest - I would look for another one that looks better

Thank you MaryJoe
I'm a bit confused by the photos.
The main photo seem to b bigger than the photo in the box?
Is the hologram 14xxxxxx is from 2013?
The seller said that the bag is from 2013 and the size is 34cm large??
Do you know how bigger the xl is than the normal size one?
Thanks again for your quick reply
Best regards