The Cerf Tote Club!

I purchased mine new, in July 2013. My serial is 16. I tried both the deerskin and calfskin version. The deerskin was much heavier. The calfskin was softer and lighter, hence I chose the calfskin. My plan was to use it as a work tote for travel and lugging through airports, so weight was a key factor. The cerf tote first came out in deerskin, and it was heavy. Cerf is deer in French, hence the name Cerf Tote. Clients complained of the weightg, and hence calfskin was offered. Deerskin feels smoother than caviar. I also liked the texture of caviar (I have other caviar totes that I love... the old GST, Medallion).

If you have your tag, the tag number will indicate the type of leather. Y01570 says it's calfskin with gold hardware. I think the Y01 is the material (e.g. calfskin), and the 570 is the hardware (shiny gold). If your style is not Y01, I would think you have deerskin. Below is my tag number:
The 00V stands for classic collection, back when the Cerf Tote was available year round and not as a seasonal bag (REV is used these days for classic). The A15206 is the style of the bag, Cerf Tote.
00V A15206Y01570

Hope this helps.

I just acquired one similar to yours with the Mademoiselle turnlock - same year, same leather, same hardware color. It's new-to-me in WHITE leather from a preloved source, and it's shipping on the way to me -- I'm excited. Thanks for posting pics - it gives me joy to see another Cerf from same year, turnlock, etc. How are you doing with this bag? I wanted to check in - and would love to hear how you're enjoying it? My only concern was wondering if I would regret not having a shoulder strap. But I do like the simplicity of this tote, without all the bling'd out logos, except on the cute detachable pouch. Do you use an organizer inside? Does the pouch snap in? I'm so curious!

Also, does anyone have a WHITE leather Chanel - I welcome any care tips to keep it clean and avoiding color transfer? I plan to use this as a daily tote - and nervous that will lead to messes LOL.
Hi! I have two white Chanels and one ivory/offwhite. None of mine have had color transfer. I use my white bags nearly daily in the summer. If they start looking dirty, I just take a damp soft cloth (no cleaner, just water) and wipe it down. I take a dry cloth and wipe off any remaining moisture.

Congrats on your bag and enjoy! I love white bags, can't get enough of them.

• Insightful
  • Love
Reactions: 880 and decorox
A comment about sagging as some of you have expressed concern.
I bought my bag new, and it held up for a while. It will sag though, there is no getting around it especially if you use it as a tote and stuff it. I totally stuff my bag. See my post #1711 on how full I stuff my Cerf Tote.

I tried an organizer, but I stopped using it. I stopped using it because I felt it took away from the space, and I want every inch to be usable. It also added to weight. Plus, the organizer was not an exact fit. The base fit, but because the Cerf Tote is actually a trapezoid shape (not a perfect rectangle), it tapers in as you go up the bag. This means my organizer was a perfect fit at the base, but I had to squish it at the top. You can get a smaller base, but then you waste space.

In the end, I stopped using my organizer and I love how it flops now. I can push it under the airplane seat and it fits, very "squishable."

You can always refurbish it and have the sides strengthened. I did that with one of my GSTs, and I will never do it again. Why? It comes back looking super stiff, too stiff for me. Because they have to open up the sides to strengthen it, they also had to repaint the bag. I can definitely see and feel the difference with the new paint job. It's more matte. I actually thought about refurbishing my Cerf Tote as it is in very sad shape. It's all beat up, the corners are worn out from too many airplane kicks under the seat. :biggrin: But I love the bag as it is. It's well worn and well loved... a sign of the bag's journey through life with me. Hence, I am keeping my sagging, beat up bag as-is.

I just wanted to share my thoughts. After two Chanel bag refurbishings, I've decided to late my bags grow old with age and not try to keep them young and perky. There is beauty in a well loved bag. Hope this was helpful.

I purchased mine new, in July 2013. My serial is 16.
00V A15206Y01570

Hope this helps.

This is great information!

Unfortunately, I do not have the tag. It was my moms and she didn't keep it.

The serial number is 12. It is heavy and smooshed (black GHW), so I suspect it is deer, but I have never felt deerskin.

Do you know what year they started offering calf?

Reactions: BigAkoya
This is great information!

Unfortunately, I do not have the tag. It was my moms and she didn't keep it.

The serial number is 12. It is heavy and smooshed (black GHW), so I suspect it is deer, but I have never felt deerskin.

Do you know what year they started offering calf?
The Cerf Tote was launched in 2005. I don't know when calf started. My guess is your mom's bag was purchased in 2008. I have a bag that was purchased in Feb 2008 (I purchased it new), and my serial is 115, so probably by mid year, the serial flipped to 12x, like your mom's.

I would think if the bag is heavy, it's deerskin. When I tried on both, I definitely felt the difference, and my SA said weight was the biggest complaint with clients for deerskin. Also, the leather itself is a bit thicker than calf as I recall. Deer is soft and it felt a tiny bit smoother. If it's a bit heavy to hold, the straps make a lot of difference. When I fully stuff mine, it still holds up with the straps. I actually thought the straps would break because my bag was so overstuffed (I posted photos earlier), but the straps can handle a lot of weight.

Sorry I couldn't be more help.

Last edited:
My vintage cerf tote has finally arrived! I got it for a good price ($1000) and I was planning to use it for work. But after putting in all my work essentials (laptop, notepad, cosmetics bag, sunglasses, wallet, lanyard, umbrella and tissues), the bag gets sooo heavy! If I add an insert to hold the shape Im sure it’ll get even heavier.

Right now there’s no damage to the handles and the strap but I’m worried if I load it up like this it would stretch out the leather handles and damage the glazing and d rings.

I’m disappointed that my plan may not work out…

Reactions: jetstream7
My vintage cerf tote has finally arrived! I got it for a good price ($1000) and I was planning to use it for work. But after putting in all my work essentials (laptop, notepad, cosmetics bag, sunglasses, wallet, lanyard, umbrella and tissues), the bag gets sooo heavy! If I add an insert to hold the shape Im sure it’ll get even heavier.

Right now there’s no damage to the handles and the strap but I’m worried if I load it up like this it would stretch out the leather handles and damage the glazing and d rings.

I’m disappointed that my plan may not work out…
The bag itself is light. What made it heavy is all your stuff, and that will not change unless you use a super light tote such as a Longchamp. A Birkin is far more heavier. I carry everything you do for travel and a water bottle.

I stuff my Cerf Tote, and it weighs a ton. The rings are fine as are the straps. One time I stuffed it so much I could barely even lift it. I think I brought a super heavy book to read on the airplane. I thought for sure the handles would snap off, but nope… this little guy is my work horse. I posted photos above of how much I stuff him. I put a full water bottle too.

Before you return it, I would think what other bag you plan to use. No other bag to me has that nice single long strap which makes is so easy for travel. Strap it on, and off I go! The double strap totes are not the same to me.

Hope this helps in your decision.

By the way, if you can't find it, go to post #1710 and #1711 to see my review and photos of my stuffed bag.
It might help in your decision.

The bag itself is light. What made it heavy is all your stuff, and that will not change unless you use a super light tote such as a Longchamp. A Birkin is far more heavier. I carry everything you do for travel and a water bottle.

I stuff my Cerf Tote, and it weighs a ton. The rings are fine as are the straps. One time I stuffed it so much I could barely even lift it. I think I brought a super heavy book to read on the airplane. I thought for sure the handles would snap off, but nope… this little guy is my work horse. I posted photos above of how much I stuff him. I put a full water bottle too.

Before you return it, I would think what other bag you plan to use. No other bag to me has that nice single long strap which makes is so easy for travel. Strap it on, and off I go! The double strap totes are not the same to me.

Hope this helps in your decision.
I use a Tory Burch Perry tote for work now which is full leather and the total load is definitely lighter.

I had to pay import customs fees so I’ll probably just keep it. But like you said I may need to think of another use for it, or get a proper laptop bag to lighten the load.

I use a Tory Burch Perry tote for work now which is full leather and the total load is definitely lighter.

I had to pay import customs fees so I’ll probably just keep it. But like you said I may need to think of another use for it, or get a proper laptop bag to lighten the load.
Yes, the laptop makes a big difference. Since the photo I posted, I have gotten a new and much lighter laptop. Not only is the laptop itself lighter, but the A/C power is much lighter as well. That might help. It helped me a lot!

I think the Cerf Tote will look amazing on you when you lug it to work! :biggrin::heart:
Oh, also, I had an insert and ended up getting rid of it. The insert took up space, and as you can see from my items, they are all in nice little bags/pouches anyway. I need all the space I can get!

One thing that really bugged me about the insert is the shape. The inserts are made as a perfect rectangle, straight up. However, if you look at the Cerf Tote, it is a trapezoid, with the top slightly smaller than the bottom. If you get an insert that fits your bottm perfectly, the top of the insert will be slightly squished/bended. However, if you get an insert that fits the top perfectly, you are wasting a bit of space near the bottom to tuck things in. I know, I'm splitting hairs, but I want to point that out. Hence, for all the reasons above, I got rid of my insert as I felt it was not really any added value.

Yes, the laptop makes a big difference. Since the photo I posted, I have gotten a new and much lighter laptop. Not only is the laptop itself lighter, but the A/C power is much lighter as well. That might help. It helped me a lot!

I think the Cerf Tote will look amazing on you when you lug it to work! :biggrin::heart:
Oh, also, I had an insert and ended up getting rid of it. The insert took up space, and as you can see from my items, they are all in nice little bags/pouches anyway. I need all the space I can get!

One thing that really bugged me about the insert is the shape. The inserts are made as a perfect rectangle, straight up. However, if you look at the Cerf Tote, it is a trapezoid, with the top slightly smaller than the bottom. If you get an insert that fits your bottm perfectly, the top of the insert will be slightly squished/bended. However, if you get an insert that fits the top perfectly, you are wasting a bit of space near the bottom to tuck things in. I know, I'm splitting hairs, but I want to point that out. Hence, for all the reasons above, I got rid of my insert as I felt it was not really any added value.
Which brand of insert do you have please? My bag does slouch and it’s an older one with the the double-snap closure rather than a flap closure in the middle. I’m thinking if I get an insert that fits the bottom perfectly it may hold the shape better?