The Cerf Tote Club!

I use a Tory Burch Perry tote for work now which is full leather and the total load is definitely lighter.

I had to pay import customs fees so I’ll probably just keep it. But like you said I may need to think of another use for it, or get a proper laptop bag to lighten the load.
I went with a custom order.
I looked at Samorga and Zoomoni, and both were using the "smaller" top trapezoid dimensions which really bugged me. I think one had a length of 13.5" and the other was 13” long. The actual inside of the Cerf Tote though is 14”, so you can see you are wasting a tiny bit of space. It may not matter to most people, and many just want to be able to drop the insert in and remove it easily. For me, I wanted a snug fit to make the most of the space available. I also was not going to keep taking the insert in and out, so the tight fit was not an issue.

Also, I saw photos where the insert height was right near the bottom of the inside zipper pocket, and I did not want it that high. I wanted the insert to be slightly shorter in height as all I needed it for was to stop it from slouching.
Finally, I wanted only the insert, no pockets. I do not need pockets as all my stuff is in little bags. All those cute pockets take up a lot of space.

So... I went custom and ordered it from an Etsy dealer who had great reviews. The insert came out perfect, except if I had to do it again I would have asked her to make it a trapezoid, tapered at the top like the Cerf Tote shape and not a perfect rectangle.
Here is the website, and she has tons of great reviews:

I stopped using the insert. Yes, it did help with the slouching, but I typically carry so much crap in my bag, it really does not slouch. On the times when I empty out the bag and only hold a few things, it does slouch. However, I have grown to like that slouchy, super-loved bag look! I have also thought about refurbishing my bag and sending it for a full spa repair as the leather is totally beat up (too many kicks by me while tucking it under the airplane seat!).

I decided not to refurbish. Why?
I refurbished two GSTs, and yes, they came back "looking" brand new at first sight. However, the leather was much stiffer and that original "soft gloss" feeling to the touch was not there. I personally knew it was not original; the leather definitely was not the same. So for me, I would rather use my bag until it's totally beat up and get a new one. I will no longer refurbish any of my Chanel bags as they do not come bag looking the same to me. That's just some info I wanted to share.

My magnet got detached from the leather side of my Cerf Tote. I will get that repaired, but I will tell them 100% do not touch, clean, shine, or do anything else to my bag! :biggrin::heart:

There is something about a well-loved bag; it's been with you through all your life's battles. That's my Cerf Tote, the little guy has been with me everywhere.

I think any pre-made organizer will work. You just need to think how you will use it and then decide which one to order. If you plan to keep taking it in and out, you may want to go for the smaller fit to be able to plop it in. The tradeoff is you will lose space.

Last edited:
Reactions: SouthTampa
My vintage cerf tote has finally arrived! I got it for a good price ($1000) and I was planning to use it for work. But after putting in all my work essentials (laptop, notepad, cosmetics bag, sunglasses, wallet, lanyard, umbrella and tissues), the bag gets sooo heavy! If I add an insert to hold the shape Im sure it’ll get even heavier.

Right now there’s no damage to the handles and the strap but I’m worried if I load it up like this it would stretch out the leather handles and damage the glazing and d rings.

I’m disappointed that my plan may not work out…
Oh golly. This is disappointing.

I use my Cerf as a big handbag and have no qualms about putting in my MacBook Air.

However, I have a new job and a very heavy Dell computer and I do not want to use my Cerf weighed down so heavily. I actually just bought a very nice nylon Tory Burch bag that is 17 inches across that I think will be perfect. It was not very expensive so I don’t care if it gets stressed and also I can wipe out spilled lunches or dirty gym clothes without worrying about it.

Oh I think other people use the heck out of their Cerf bags but I am not comfortable with that.

I haven’t use the Tory Burch yet because I’m thinking about selling it but I would replace it with another. My only complaint is the pattern is too Much for me. I should’ve purchased a solid.

Oh golly. This is disappointing.

I use my Cerf as a big handbag and have no qualms about putting in my MacBook Air.

However, I have a new job and a very heavy Dell computer and I do not want to use my Cerf weighed down so heavily. I actually just bought a very nice nylon Tory Burch bag that is 17 inches across that I think will be perfect. It was not very expensive so I don’t care if it gets stressed and also I can wipe out spilled lunches or dirty gym clothes without worrying about it.

Oh I think other people use the heck out of their Cerf bags but I am not comfortable with that.

I haven’t use the Tory Burch yet because I’m thinking about selling it but I would replace it with another. My only complaint is the pattern is too Much for me. I should’ve purchased a solid.
Yea my work gave me an older HP elitebook. It’s 13 inch but not slim and light like the newer one my partner has. I’m still debating what I should do. Since I don’t need to baby my laptop I may just carry it in a separate normal fabric shopping bag.

I also suspect that my cerf is made of the original deerskin because the code indicates it was made in 2004-2005. Hence it’s heavier than the calfskin version. The leather is super scratch resistant though. There’s definitely some tear and wear inside with a ripped lining, but the leather looks almost perfect except the corners are quite smooth out now.

I looked at Samorga and Zoomoni, and both were using the "smaller" top trapezoid dimensions which really bugged me. I think one had a length of 13.5" and the other was 13” long. The actual inside of the Cerf Tote though is 14”, so you can see you are wasting a tiny bit of space. It may not matter to most people, and many just want to be able to drop the insert in and remove it easily. For me, I wanted a snug fit to make the most of the space available. I also was not going to keep taking the insert in and out, so the tight fit was not an issue.

Also, I saw photos where the insert height was right near the bottom of the inside zipper pocket, and I did not want it that high. I wanted the insert to be slightly shorter in height as all I needed it for was to stop it from slouching.
Finally, I wanted only the insert, no pockets. I do not need pockets as all my stuff is in little bags. All those cute pockets take up a lot of space.

So... I went custom and ordered it from an Etsy dealer who had great reviews. The insert came out perfect, except if I had to do it again I would have asked her to make it a trapezoid, tapered at the top like the Cerf Tote shape and not a perfect rectangle.

I stopped using the insert. Yes, it did help with the slouching, but I typically carry so much crap in my bag, it really does not slouch. On the times when I empty out the bag and only hold a few things, it does slouch. However, I have grown to like that slouchy, super-loved bag look! I have also thought about refurbishing my bag and sending it for a full spa repair as the leather is totally beat up (too many kicks by me while tucking it under the airplane seat!).

I refurbished two GSTs, and yes, they came back "looking" brand new at first sight. However, the leather was much stiffer and that original "soft gloss" feeling to the touch was not there. I personally knew it was not original; the leather definitely was not the same. So for me, I would rather use my bag until it's totally beat up and get a new one. I will no longer refurbish any of my Chanel bags as they do not come bag looking the same to me. That's just some info I wanted to share.

My magnet got detached from the leather side of my Cerf Tote. I will get that repaired, but I will tell them 100% do not touch, clean, shine, or do anything else to my bag! :biggrin::heart:

There is something about a well-loved bag; it's been with you through all your life's battles. That's my Cerf Tote, the little guy has been with me everywhere.

I think any pre-made organizer will work. You just need to think how you will use it and then decide which one to order. If you plan to keep taking it in and out, you may want to go for the smaller fit to be able to plop it in. The tradeoff is you will lose space.
Thanks!! You really love your cerf! I am not worried too much about losing space because this is the most I would carry. I use a laptop backpack when I travel for work because I can strap it to my carry on and don’t need to worry about putting it on the ground.

If I place a custom order I may just go with minimal compartment too. I don’t really need all the pockets as the cerf tote also has the front and back pockets. I’m the dump everything into one blackhole type of girl haha

Reactions: BigAkoya
Hello all! So I have a Cerf tote I purchased from FASHIONPHILE that I wanted some clarity on. It is one of the original style Cerf tote's with the button closure at the top instead of the one strap piece that closes the bag. Its a 7 series number which indicates a manufacturing date of 2002-2003 but everything I've seen online says that the Cerf tote was released in 2005.

Can anyone please provide some guidance? I included pictures from the listing. Thanks!
cerf1.PNGcerf2.PNGcerf3.PNG
cerf4.PNG

Hello all! So I have a Cerf tote I purchased from FASHIONPHILE that I wanted some clarity on. It is one of the original style Cerf tote's with the button closure at the top instead of the one strap piece that closes the bag. Its a 7 series number which indicates a manufacturing date of 2002-2003 but everything I've seen online says that the Cerf tote was released in 2005.

Can anyone please provide some guidance? I included pictures from the listing. Thanks!
View attachment 5611645View attachment 5611648View attachment 5611646
View attachment 5611647
Hi! I have a bag that starts with 789, and I purchased it from the boutique on March 2003. Your tote with the 761 serial has to be before that, 2002-2003, so your assumption is correct. Bags from 2005 would be in the 9 to 10 series as I have bags in this era as well.

Hope this helps.

Thank you for this info, I can't decide which insert to go with either. Do you mind sharing the dimension for your custom insert? I appreciate your help

Thank you for this info, I can't decide which insert to go with either. Do you mind sharing the dimension for your custom insert? I appreciate your help
Hi! Sure thing.
The custom size I ordered was 14"L x 5.5"W x 5.5"H. I also asked for extra stiffness as I told her I wanted to lug tons of stuff... laptop, water bottle, charges. With my 14"L request, you can see it's a snug fit as I wanted every inch I can get.

Hope this helps. Good luck!

Hi! I have a bag that starts with 789, and I purchased it from the boutique on March 2003. Your tote with the 761 serial has to be before that, 2002-2003, so your assumption is correct. Bags from 2005 would be in the 9 to 10 series as I have bags in this era as well.

Hope this helps.
Thank you! I feel better about my purchase. I couldn't find any information showing it was out before 2005 so it was pretty confusing.

Hi! Sure thing.
The custom size I ordered was 14"L x 5.5"W x 5.5"H. I also asked for extra stiffness as I told her I wanted to lug tons of stuff... laptop, water bottle, charges. With my 14"L request, you can see it's a snug fit as I wanted every inch I can get.

Hope this helps. Good luck!
Thank you so much!
Is it snug and stretches the leather out a little bit or it's just right for you? I think you said some posts ago that you would have asked to make it a lil bit trapezoidal if you could do it over again, do you still feel the same?

Thank you so much!
Is it snug and stretches the leather out a little bit or it's just right for you? I think you said some posts ago that you would have asked to make it a lil bit trapezoidal if you could do it over again, do you still feel the same?
It’s just perfect for me as it’s snug. You really can’t stretch “out” the leather because the canvas inside is stiff, not stretchy, so the canvas lining is what prevents that. The bag just flops, but I stopped using the organizer and I like it that way now. It’s more a carefree look.

If I were to use an organizer again, I would 100% get it cut exactly to the trapezoid shape. I almost did that when I first got it… I was going to order a new one, but I never go around to it, and I got used to it even though it was annoying.

The reason why most people don’t see that “crinkle” at the top is because their organizer’s bottom is already a bit too small, so visually, it looks good. But it’s really like putting a small rectangle box inside a trapezoid box so there really is a slight gap.

By the way, do you really a need an organizer? I use pouches, so my stuff is already organized. I purchased one to keep it from flopping. In the end, I kind of like the cool used-floppy Chanel look, and I found I really did not want an organizer. The bag is lighter and also softer, not so stiff from the organizer, and I love it this way. Like a nice soft leather tote. Just a thought. It seemed an organizer was the the thing to do, but I really ended up not needing the extra bulk. There are lots of cool looking floppy totes out there!

Last edited:
I actually don't use small pouches so the organizer will help to keep the bag organized lol. I want to have it so the bag can retain its shape a bit better too. Does your 5.5" height cover the side zipper or the chanel tag? If you still have the organizer would you mind sharing a picture of your bag with the organizer in it?

I actually don't use small pouches so the organizer will help to keep the bag organized lol. I want to have it so the bag can retain its shape a bit better too. Does your 5.5" height cover the side zipper or the chanel tag? If you still have the organizer would you mind sharing a picture of your bag with the organizer in it?
Hi! I already tossed it as it got dirty looking, and I stopped using it.

I did not cover the zippers at all. I measured it and ordered it shorter for exactly that reason as I saw some pre-made ones were higher than I liked.

I didn’t want the sides too tall because there are so many useful pockets inside. I use the front and back inside pocket a lot! They hold a lot too as the pocket goes all the way to the bottom.

All I wanted was a “base” shaper, not a “wall” which sometimes I see in organizers that are a bit too talk for my preference. I think it makes the bag look stiff and unnatural.

I would suggest you decide what you want for an organizer. And yes, the inside height was a big thing for me as I wanted it at a certain height. Then, measure your bag and see if you can live with something pre-made. If not, go custom.

I am sure you will find (or create) your perfect organizer.

Good luck!