The beauty of MAX MARA coats...(photos please)

I'm eyeing on the 101801 madam coat .. possibly in the smallest size available. Is this coat worth it? Does the quality really last that long? I've read some horrible reviews on Trustpilot .. has anybody experienced bad customer service?
Max Mara coats are totally worth it, and it's the only brand I buy for coats (except Burberry for trenches). I would not let a few people who have had issues sway your decision. Every company will have complaints, nothing is perfect, and of course all you hear from are the people who complain and not the thousands who love their coats, me included. Max Mara has been making coats and clothing for decades. It is top quality, and the main Max Mara line coats are made in Italy (the secondary lines are not all made in Italy).

On the 101801, you may want to try it on first and compare it to the Manuela. The 101801 is a super huge and sloppy/relaxed fit. The sleeves are Kimono style, not set-in like the Manuela. You can then decide which you like. I have a lot of Max Mara coats, and they last forever. My oldest one is the Manuela wrap with a detachanble mink collar, and I've had that coat for 10 years and wear it in the snow. It still looks great. All my coats are camel which is also super warm.

Good luck to you! I am sure you will love your Max Mara coat.

Max Mara coats are totally worth it, and it's the only brand I buy for coats (except Burberry for trenches). I would not let a few people who have had issues sway your decision. Every company will have complaints, nothing is perfect, and of course all you hear from are the people who complain and not the thousands who love their coats, me included. Max Mara has been making coats and clothing for decades. It is top quality, and the main Max Mara line coats are made in Italy (the secondary lines are not all made in Italy).

On the 101801, you may want to try it on first and compare it to the Manuela. The 101801 is a super huge and sloppy/relaxed fit. The sleeves are Kimono style, not set-in like the Manuela. You can then decide which you like. I have a lot of Max Mara coats, and they last forever. My oldest one is the Manuela wrap with a detachanble mink collar, and I've had that coat for 10 years and wear it in the snow. It still looks great. All my coats are camel which is also super warm.

Good luck to you! I am sure you will love your Max Mara coat.

Thank you kindly for your reply. How do you maintain these coats in mint condition. :amazed:
Do you dry clean them regularly?

I've got my heart set on the 101801 as I can imagine myself wearing it more often on casual occasion.
I'm currently located in Germany but we plan on moving back to Oz in a couple of years time.
I just hope the coat won't be too warm for the Australian winter :smile:

Reactions: BigAkoya
Thank you kindly for your reply. How do you maintain these coats in mint condition. :amazed:
Do you dry clean them regularly?

I've got my heart set on the 101801 as I can imagine myself wearing it more often on casual occasion.
I'm currently located in Germany but we plan on moving back to Oz in a couple of years time.
I just hope the coat won't be too warm for the Australian winter :smile:
Yes, I take them to the cleaners after each winter season. They come back great. More importantly though, any dirt, snow, salt is cleaned off. My long black coat is very long, but I purposely left it long, so I want to be sure it's clean.

If this is your first Max Mara, as FYI...Max Mara will tailor and custom fit your coat. Some things I have done to my coats to share with you...
- My long black coat has a belt tie. However, the tiny little side belt loops were placed a little lower than I liked. The seamstress re-positioned the belt loops to make them perfect for me. The 101801 comes with a belt, so be sure to tie it on and see if the belt loop height works.
- I am small, 5' 2", 108lbs, and the coat length needed to be shortened. The seamstress will recommend a standard length, but because I wanted to keep it long for cold winters, she only shortened it by a little based on my request. It came out perfect, exactly the length I wanted. You may also think how many inches off the floor you want your coat if you think you need some alterations.
- The top stitch... this is the most important part. The large top stitching is a signature of Max Mara. Most of their finer coats have that top stitch. I had to shorten my sleeves, and the seamstress put back the top stitch on my sleeve. If you take it to any seamstress. not all tailor shops have the machine to create that top stitch.

Hence if you need any alterations, I would suggest you take it to Max Mara.
Here is a photo of what I mean by the top stitch on the sleeve. Do you see the edge of the sleeve and that beautiful top stitch? If you shorten your sleeve, you must get that added back. It's beautiful, and that is classic for Max Mara coats. You can also see this top stitch all over the collar and sleeves on the 101801.

Hope this helps! You will love your coat!

1631291273519.png

Yes, I take them to the cleaners after each winter season. They come back great. More importantly though, any dirt, snow, salt is cleaned off. My long black coat is very long, but I purposely left it long, so I want to be sure it's clean.

If this is your first Max Mara, as FYI...Max Mara will tailor and custom fit your coat. Some things I have done to my coats to share with you...
- My long black coat has a belt tie. However, the tiny little side belt loops were placed a little lower than I liked. The seamstress re-positioned the belt loops to make them perfect for me. The 101801 comes with a belt, so be sure to tie it on and see if the belt loop height works.
- I am small, 5' 2", 108lbs, and the coat length needed to be shortened. The seamstress will recommend a standard length, but because I wanted to keep it long for cold winters, she only shortened it by a little based on my request. It came out perfect, exactly the length I wanted. You may also think how many inches off the floor you want your coat if you think you need some alterations.
- The top stitch... this is the most important part. The large top stitching is a signature of Max Mara. Most of their finer coats have that top stitch. I had to shorten my sleeves, and the seamstress put back the top stitch on my sleeve. If you take it to any seamstress. not all tailor shops have the machine to create that top stitch.

Hence if you need any alterations, I would suggest you take it to Max Mara.
Here is a photo of what I mean by the top stitch on the sleeve. Do you see the edge of the sleeve and that beautiful top stitch? If you shorten your sleeve, you must get that added back. It's beautiful, and that is classic for Max Mara coats. You can also see this top stitch all over the collar and sleeves on the 101801.

Hope this helps! You will love your coat!

View attachment 5189891

I had no idea that you could get the coat tailored at the store. I was planning on ordering it online but I think I will go to the store and try on the coat out and see if I need to get anything amended! Thank you so much for taking your time and for all the useful information :smile:.

I'm eyeing on the 101801 madam coat .. possibly in the smallest size available. Is this coat worth it? Does the quality really last that long? I've read some horrible reviews on Trustpilot .. has anybody experienced bad customer service?

Hello beat_boutique,

I do not own the 101801, but I think Max Mara coats are worth the price, the quality is so good.
I bought my first Max Mara coat last year. It is a camel coat similar to the Manuela, just a bit shorter, the model is called Soldato. The material looks and feels so good, and the coat keeps me warm, perfect for german winters.

I'd recommend you to go to the Max Mara store and try out the different sizes. Like @BigAkoya said, the 101801 is quite huge, it is better to try it on in store rather than ordering online.
I'm also located in Germany, the SAs at Max Mara in Düsseldorf are usually very helpful and patient. You can find the Icon coats at Breuninger department stores, too.
When you buy your coat, ask your SA for a recommendation for a dry cleaner, just to make sure that you'll have a dry cleaner who you can trust not to ruin your coat.

You wrote that you're planning on moving back to Australia. I've been to South Australia during July/August a few years ago, and found the temperatures to be very mild, not necessarily temperatures where I'd absolutely need a thick wool coat. But if you freeze easily, the coat would be good for winters there. I also wear my coat on colder Spring days. It is not too warm if I wear the coat open and don't wear winter clothing like wool knitwear underneath.

I hope you'll find your dream coat :heart:

Hello beat_boutique,

I do not own the 101801, but I think Max Mara coats are worth the price, the quality is so good.
I bought my first Max Mara coat last year. It is a camel coat similar to the Manuela, just a bit shorter, the model is called Soldato. The material looks and feels so good, and the coat keeps me warm, perfect for german winters.

I'd recommend you to go to the Max Mara store and try out the different sizes. Like @BigAkoya said, the 101801 is quite huge, it is better to try it on in store rather than ordering online.
I'm also located in Germany, the SAs at Max Mara in Düsseldorf are usually very helpful and patient. You can find the Icon coats at Breuninger department stores, too.
When you buy your coat, ask your SA for a recommendation for a dry cleaner, just to make sure that you'll have a dry cleaner who you can trust not to ruin your coat.

You wrote that you're planning on moving back to Australia. I've been to South Australia during July/August a few years ago, and found the temperatures to be very mild, not necessarily temperatures where I'd absolutely need a thick wool coat. But if you freeze easily, the coat would be good for winters there. I also wear my coat on colder Spring days. It is not too warm if I wear the coat open and don't wear winter clothing like wool knitwear underneath.

I hope you'll find your dream coat :heart:

Here some photos of my coat :heart:
I'm 181cm tall, and I'm wearing size 46 IT.
The model is called "Soldato", the color is "Albino", it is 100% camel.

View attachment 5192775
View attachment 5192776

Thanks for letting me share!

Thank you so much for your kind reply and all the great advice! Your coat looks so luxurious!
I love how it drapes across your body so effortless :smile:

• Love
Reactions: marlena-95
I just bought the Madame Icon coat from Max Mara in Torino, Italy. Can’t wait to wear it:smile: I have been obsessing over this coat for years. I also considered the Manuela, but eventually decided for the Madame, as it is most distinct. Also easy to just throw on and style both up and down. For the record I am 173 cm tall and wearing IT size 38.
The quality seems really really good, love that it has good room for a blazer underneath without feeling stuffed.
The styling with the scarf is also a keeper

Attachments

• A8DC7DD0-FD23-4F2F-8247-77750D2653EA.jpeg
    A8DC7DD0-FD23-4F2F-8247-77750D2653EA.jpeg
    637.1 KB · Views: 439
  • 2D0E2E15-3399-4CBA-94F4-217696ECED7B.jpeg
    2D0E2E15-3399-4CBA-94F4-217696ECED7B.jpeg
    685.5 KB · Views: 447
I just bought the Madame Icon coat from Max Mara in Torino, Italy. Can’t wait to wear it:smile: I have been obsessing over this coat for years. I also considered the Manuela, but eventually decided for the Madame, as it is most distinct. Also easy to just throw on and style both up and down. For the record I am 173 cm tall and wearing IT size 38.
The quality seems really really good, love that it has good room for a blazer underneath without feeling stuffed.
It looks beautiful on you!

Reactions: beat_boutique

Gorgeous coat, it suits you very well! It looks so cozy with the scarf :heart:

I'm debating getting the teddy but all pictures I see online are of influencers and celebrities that are 6ft tall and super skinny. Does that coat look good on curvy women? I'm 5'8'' and a US size 10. I think I'd go for a XS since I wouldn't want it to be too oversized, just slightly.

So I went to the store and tried on the 101801 ...
The ladies in the store were so helpful and kind. I'm so glad I went into the store to try it on before clicking buy on the website.

101801 was too big even in the smallest size.
I looked like I was wearing a Bathrobe :panic: . I'm 167cm .. the coat was very long.. definitely would need to get it shortened.

A coat that did fit me ... and omg.. was so amazing was the "Aldo" it's a newer model that just came out.
Camel hair ... the coat feels very light .. perfect for an Australian winter but I'm not too sure if it's going to keep me warm during harsher European winter days. It literally looked like a shorter version of 101801... slightly oversized... knee length. It moulded into my body like butter. I didn't have enough time to try on the other alternatives...
I'm going to invest in Max Mara coats from now on.... The quality is amazing.

the coat feels very light .. perfect for an Australian winter but I'm not too sure if it's going to keep me warm during harsher European winter days.
I'm going to invest in Max Mara coats from now on.... The quality is amazing.

Congrats on your coat! You could always get a nice down vest from a company like Bogner to wear under the coat on cold days...like this one: https://www.bogner.com/de-ch/steppweste-lea-schwarz-69690.html I see that here in Switzerland quite often in winter.