The Bbag Chat Room

Yes, because she owned the merchandise. And that’s perfectly OK, it’s hers to do with as she pleases.

Just look at the Birkin market. Same super priced bag sits for years and years.
Yea, but it sold for $800
She started over $2k years ago
I get she can do whatever she wants (& she did), but thats my point -- the resale market didn't dictate this price
The sellers want for a specific price & buyers refusing to give in to it, did

thats my point. Resale is resale, same as its always been -- new Balenciaga bags/renewed celeb interest aren't driving the prices of 20 yo bags up

I agree it's not the Re-issue or celebrity interest but it's more people realizing the supply and demand of the bags that were HG and still are. As most have been used and will have signs of wear, I think an early 2000s chevre bag in pristine condition can sell for it's MSRP if not higher. I have a coach bag I'm looking for and it retailed for $350 or $395. It's from 2017! One seller listed a pristine one for $999 and while I was trying to negotiate for a lower price with the seller another buyer bought it straight up for $999! The supply and demand is different for each style as well. If many people are looking to buy it and there are only one or two in the market I can definitely see seller asking a higher price. You should see what Coach is asking for restored vintage bags that already sold at MSRP in the 90s and they are able to sell them at 3 times the MSRP now.

I agree it's not the Re-issue or celebrity interest but it's more people realizing the supply and demand of the bags that were HG and still are. As most have been used and will have signs of wear, I think an early 2000s chevre bag in pristine condition can sell for it's MSRP if not higher. I have a coach bag I'm looking for and it retailed for $350 or $395. It's from 2017! One seller listed a pristine one for $999 and while I was trying to negotiate for a lower price with the seller another buyer bought it straight up for $999! The supply and demand is different for each style as well. If many people are looking to buy it and there are only one or two in the market I can definitely see seller asking a higher price. You should see what Coach is asking for restored vintage bags that already sold at MSRP in the 90s and they are able to sell them at 3 times the MSRP now.
Which 2017 bag?

I've sold several bags over retail. I hate that Posh makes us put in the retail price because what the bag sold for in 1980 has no bearing on what it is worth now!

I sold my Kaffe Fassett for more than retail. As soon as I listed it, I got offers, then it sold for the listing price. I think I should have priced it higher.

I'm still kicking myself for what I sold my Winnie for. On the other hand, it took a long time to sell my mini Safari and I let it go pretty cheap. Coach may be selling those restored bags at high prices, and some sellers seem to be able to get them, but most of my stuff just sits there even when I price lower than everyone else.

Reactions: houseof999
Which 2017 bag?

I've sold several bags over retail. I hate that Posh makes us put in the retail price because what the bag sold for in 1980 has no bearing on what it is worth now!

I sold my Kaffe Fassett for more than retail. As soon as I listed it, I got offers, then it sold for the listing price. I think I should have priced it higher.

I'm still kicking myself for what I sold my Winnie for. On the other hand, it took a long time to sell my mini Safari and I let it go pretty cheap. Coach may be selling those restored bags at high prices, and some sellers seem to be able to get them, but most of my stuff just sits there even when I price lower than everyone else.
Posh retail price hack - just input the numbers 1234. I can't be bothered trying to find the original prices on bags I purchased pre-loved.

I'm CC cujn
Which 2017 bag?

It was the prairie rivets kisslock satchel in dark turquoise.
I have sold a few bags over MSRP too. Winnie is sore topic for me as I was never to find one under $100 and it went crazy popular somehow even though it's too small to fit a phone. That was the reason I sold my periwinkle and my mahogany one. Then I wanted it back again in my collection after getting the z fold flip phone. Now I'm back on regular phone so the desire to get it back in my collection is gone.

I don't put the original price is. Sometimes I can look it up and other times I can't find it even when I look it up. Tried way back machine and it's slow as molasses when loading so I end up giving up.

I’ve always included the retail price of my bags in my listings because I’ve never sold one for more. I’ve also made it a rule to never pay more than it originally cost. I realize that I’ve missed out on a few HGs because of it, but these are handbags - in most cases USED handbags. I don’t believe in reselling for more than they cost (but thats just me & I know I’m in the minority)

The average buyer today has no idea that a bag w/flat brass HW is rarer than giant HW. They just know it’s probably 10 yrs older & probably used more so why would they pay more? I learned that when I tried to resell one of CeeJay’s bags - in the end, it didn’t matter who once owned it or how rare the color/HW was. The bag was old, it was worn & it just wasn’t going to sell for anywhere near what I paid, even among people who KNEW the bag’s history.

I’ve always included the retail price of my bags in my listings because I’ve never sold one for more. I’ve also made it a rule to never pay more than it originally cost. I realize that I’ve missed out on a few HGs because of it, but these are handbags - in most cases USED handbags. I don’t believe in reselling for more than they cost (but thats just me & I know I’m in the minority)

The average buyer today has no idea that a bag w/flat brass HW is rarer than giant HW. They just know it’s probably 10 yrs older & probably used more so why would they pay more? I learned that when I tried to resell one of CeeJay’s bags - in the end, it didn’t matter who once owned it or how rare the color/HW was. The bag was old, it was worn & it just wasn’t going to sell for anywhere near what I paid, even among people who KNEW the bag’s history.
You are so right!
I managed to snag a few of my unicorns at crazy low prices 5 to 8 years ago when I was looking daily and on forum all the time. But it took a hell of a lot of effort and time. I just can't seem to be able to search like that anymore.
So grateful for offers and the finds thread. But I usually miss the really great pre 06 ones that get pointed out.
Or I'm over thinking 🤔 and take too long or work interferes.
But most people don't know what these bags should be worth. They are 20 years old and fabulous compared to the current ones.
I was lucky recently that a kind member helped me get the bag of my dreams. So kind C! Much love!

Without her and timing I probably would have never been able to get it by looking myself (hell I'd been looking for over 10 years ?!)

I've never sold a bag on ebay or anything. No one would likely pay what I think they are worth unless it was a member.

I want Eggplant madly, but I missed the first ( I prefer cities, only have one first) but for that I think I would have done it. But one came up a few days ago, but I was too slow.

And I want a Fairy oddly enough for me because I only carry Bal now but that's a large purchase. It appears those sellers are going to get a mark up for rarity or hold on to them. I'm so torn on this one.

Often I've paid more than retail for a vintage bag, but if you adjust for inflation, it might not be more. You can't really compare 1980s or 1990s prices to today's. Lately I just put the retail price in the Poshmark ad but then price it higher because to me it is worth more. With Poshmark, I feel you have to price higher than you are willing to sell it for because people rarely pay the listing price.

We all have the line we will not cross when it comes to pricing. I love a bargain, but I look at these rare old goatskin bags as leather art. If I’ve searched for one for years, then to me, its value goes up. Value has a lot to do with what we believe we are purchasing, and whether its beauty speaks to us. It doesn’t have to seem logical to someone else.

As my non-believer sister might say, “I could buy a perfectly attractive, useful leather handbag for $35.” :lol:

I want to share a small reminder. While our authenticators and other OG collectors here have deep expertise in authenticating the moto style bags and some others, we've run into a bit of a wall when it comes to the newer bags. We just don't have 20 years of obsessive experience with them.

I'm far from an expert on the more recent bags, but I've found that a good way to initially weed out some of the fakes is through the serial tags. Unfortunately the good fakes are doing a really good job of mimicking many details, but they frequently get the style and color codes wrong.

Here's a lovely green Neo Classic City currently listed on Yoogis. It looks fine at first blush until you start digging. It's a high quality fake.

I wouldn't have known this is fake without digging in the coding numbers. When those were revealed to be wrong (you can always stop right there) I noticed other details that were also wrong.

Always check those numbers on these newer bags. It's the high quality fakers' Achilles heel.

I want to share a small reminder. While our authenticators and other OG collectors here have deep expertise in authenticating the moto style bags and some others, we've run into a bit of a wall when it comes to the newer bags. We just don't have 20 years of obsessive experience with them.

I'm far from an expert on the more recent bags, but I've found that a good way to initially weed out some of the fakes is through the serial tags. Unfortunately the good fakes are doing a really good job of mimicking many details, but they frequently get the style and color codes wrong.

Here's a lovely green Neo Classic City currently listed on Yoogis. It looks fine at first blush until you start digging. It's a high quality fake.

I wouldn't have known this is fake without digging in the coding numbers. When those were revealed to be wrong (you can always stop right there) I noticed other details that were also wrong.

Always check those numbers on these newer bags. It's the high quality fakers' Achilles heel.
Thanks for the info, it's scary good, that green.

Reactions: Deco