TangoTosca's Scarf Circus

Tango Tosca, you have an amazing collection. Its a pity I can't collect such beautiful scarves except for a measly 2 to 3 pcs. Its hot all year round in my place :smile:

Heehoohum, I feel your pain. Today is March 11 and the high temperature for the rest of the week is 80 degrees (and with the blessed rain, the humidity is something like 168% LOL). By the time my "Forgotten 24" experiment is over it's going to be unbearable.

Part of me asks myself if I shouldn't "thin the herd" a bit; take the proceeds and finance something more practical like bracelets or bags. It makes no sense on paper for me to have a scarf collection like this, but we love what we love, and that's all there is to it!

Thank you for your sweet comments. I'm so honored that I'm your second post on tPF :flowers:

TT, if you double up some of the 24, you will be able to reach your noble goal! What a fun challenge my Texas friend---double some of these up and show us your artistic pairings!!

OH YES YES this is a great idea!

Please Tango Tosca? You have such a good eye and pairings (seems so difficult) would take scarf-wearing to another artistic level.

Today is March 11 and the high temperature for the rest of the week is 80 degrees (and with the blessed rain, the humidity is something like 168% LOL). By the time my "Forgotten 24" experiment is over it's going to be unbearable.
:flowers:

oh oops just saw your weather report ... not conducive to scarf wearing
What about the jersey silk - some say it's cooler?:sweatdrop:

OH YES YES this is a great idea!

Please Tango Tosca? You have such a good eye and pairings (seems so difficult) would take scarf-wearing to another artistic level.

You bet! I think I can get it done in 30 days time, which ought to be just under the deadline for the beginning of summer misery, especially with this fantastic doubling-up idea everyone has.

It's going to be fun!

I don't think I've ever paid more than a passing attention to Rêve de Gloria before, and now I will not rest until I have one :love:. The unevenness of brush strokes is tactile, and their pattern is like leaves on flowing water. Such a peaceful design. I've just spent an hour trying to find out all colorways, my fingers and toes crossed for a one that would be me, but there is precious little about it online.

The Cave Felem mosaique is such a neato effect, and it ties in a thousand ways. I see why it can be a grail for non-catlovers!

And good god, you have given me ideas... I love stats and my little fingers are itching for a spreadsheet now. Looking forward to your scarf challenge :tup:

I have the same silk problem: the oppressively humid or bitterly cold climate here in my current home (the prairies of American Midwest) is not silk-friendly for more than half a year (winter and summer), and spring and fall can be very rushed affairs. While the a/c is brutally cold everywhere inside, one still spends time outside, and I shudder at the thought of continuously submitting my silks to sunscreen and sweat. :shocked::shocked::shocked: As I'm very much a wearer more than a collector, I've been eyeing the H cotton in desperation.

I love your analysis of what makes a scarf work for you! Keeps me meditating (ruminating? LOL!) on the themes/commonalities in my own pile.

I'm really looking forward to the 30-for-30 Challenge! Bring it on!

Tango - I finally caught up with a few pages and am chuckling over the Forgotten Ones...I use the expression - The Lost Ones in my silk closet..LOL.

My little tip for wearing the silks I don't use as much (and in my case it is the GM's that are not getting the use due to the change in weather being much warmer this winter than previous years, and I have no control over that obstacle). I pull out three to five Lost Ones and put them out on my table as a reminder to pair it with something for the week. Then I don't feel quite as guilty. And if I get a new addition to the wardrobe, new card, top or jacket, I still pull out one or two of the Lost Ones to use with the silks. I might even take a photo of the Lost Ones and buy a top or two, just to go with them! Is that crazy or what?

Anyway, there are a select few that just seem to stay in the closet as they are ultra special and to be worn when a unique event is taking place - weddings or showers - TR Pointu or Fringe silks, etc. I think you will meet your challenge quite wholeheartedly with all of us cheering you on!:hugs::hbeat:

I don't think I've ever paid more than a passing attention to Rêve de Gloria before, and now I will not rest until I have one :love:. The unevenness of brush strokes is tactile, and their pattern is like leaves on flowing water. Such a peaceful design. I've just spent an hour trying to find out all colorways, my fingers and toes crossed for a one that would be me, but there is precious little about it online.

Yes, I see you wasted no time updating your wishlist! :P

You're right, there's precious little information about Reve de Gloria; it turns up on tPF so rarely. You've probably found these pictures as well, but just in case you haven't, here are the colorways I could locate:

White background with red and black brush strokes

Whattowear411.JPG
(Photo credit: whattowear411)

White background with red and orange brush strokes

Stylebymenet.jpg
(Photo credit: Stylebyme.net)

Light pink background with dark pink and brown brush strokes. This is the one I tried on in Amsterdam.

Luxury-Scarves Gloria.jpg
(Photo credit: Luxury-Scarves)

Black background with turquoise brush strokes

Sushi Queen.jpg
(Photo credit: Sushi Queen, and VickyB has this one too)

And speaking of Lanit, here she is wearing my same Reve de Gloria cw in a mousse!

LanitLaReveGloria2a.jpg

Another mousse, in shades of purple

Pauillac.jpg
(Photo credit: Paulliac)

And finally a mousse with an orange background and brown and red brush strokes

Markova.jpg
(Photo credit: Markova)

Bond7Girl - A spreadsheet has proven to be such a useful thing; you'll have fun organizing one, and be astounded at what it reveals to you. It took a long time for me to first put an Excel spreadsheet together, which was around scarf #40. Thank heavens I didn't wait until now to start it :shocked:

Here's what I include in mine:

Name / Size / Color / Theme / Year of 1st issue / Year of re-issue (if the scarf in question is in fact a later release) / Designer / Source / Cost (oh, this one hurts) / Date purchased / Dates worn

And speaking of learning interesting things from spreadsheets, I don't know if any of you remember this conversation on the SOTD back in September, but VnSoie had a post here about scarves, spreadsheets, and number-crunching.

Tosca and others, on the topic of the price of 45cms vs 70cms vs 90cms....I am a geek so started thinking analytically about this the other night and actually did the math.

Here is my thought process. If we stipulate that the design/artwork takes the same amount of investment/artistry/creativity (since some are simpler than others in any size, and art is art) no matter the size of scarf, we only then consider the amount of silk involved and the amount of finish work put into each piece. Therefore: each pochette/gavroche has 25% of the silk but 50% of the hemwork of a 90cm, but at 42% of the price (in USD @ $165 for a pochette vs $385 for a 90cm), so in those terms, there is a lot of finish work in a pochette for the price.

Of course, the versatility is a big factor that is very personal, and I agree, for me, the 90s do seem to be a better value on that factor alone. But after I did the math, the price of the gavroches made a little more sense to me, given that, between the artistry and the very labor- and talent-intensive hemming, you have a large part of the value of the scarf.

Just my thoughts. Like I said, I'm a geek. (And very good at rationalization, LOL.) (And the math reinforced my intuition that the 70s aren't as good a value, in strictly analytical terms.)

How funny... everyone seems to be in agreement that the weather is a major obstacle to their scarf wearing, at least in Winter '11-'12. I have a strong suspicion that my Beloved India and Géométrie Crétoise shawls are going to have to wait until November to be enjoyed. Ah well, something to look forward to I guess.

Lanit - I like your idea of laying a few scarves out in advance so that I can plan their inclusion beforehand. I sort of do that anyway when it comes to theme weeks, and now I just have a different, longer term theme - rescuing the Forgotten 24 from oblivion! I completely understand about buying a top to go with a scarf. Guilty as charged, Your Honor. That was kind of my inspiration for buying the purple dress - to go with Chasse en Inde, to see if it could be redeemed. And it was - it's back in my good graces again :tender:

Textilegirl - "Ruminating!" Ha! :lol: The cow conversation is cracking me up. Now that I think about it, I'm sure this project is going to bleed over into late April. I should be tackling it today, but DH and I are once again camped out on the couch in the living room and the thought of actually getting dressed is more than I can cope with right now.

Bond7Girl - I am a sunblock fanatic myself, but all that due diligence is paying off and I barely have a freckle on my shoulders. I rely on scarves in winter to shield my neck from the sun, but like you, I can't stand the thought of getting goop on them. Poor little scarves, exiled to the back of the closet for half a year :shucks:

sparklelisab, I like the challenge to Tango to double up her "forgotten 24". What a great treat for scarf of the day-to see if you can match them as 12 "scarves" _ no repeats!!

Looking forward to this...

Listen you scarf pistol, I actually can wear 12 scarves, no repeats, in fact, I can go up to 15 and then I'm out! But who is the H would want to see my wrinkled linen smocks with a tired knoted scarf TWELVE days in a row? Jesus? My cows?

Get your mug out here! :smooch::giggles::woohoo:

in a whining voice.....Tangoooo, Jahna girl is picking on me....make her stoooopppp....

sparklelisab, I like the challenge to Tango to double up her "forgotten 24". What a great treat for scarf of the day-to see if you can match them as 12 "scarves" _ no repeats!!

Looking forward to this...

Listen you scarf pistol, I actually can wear 12 scarves, no repeats, in fact, I can go up to 15 and then I'm out! But who is the H would want to see my wrinkled linen smocks with a tired knoted scarf TWELVE days in a row? Jesus? My cows?

Get your mug out here! :smooch::giggles::woohoo:

in a whining voice.....Tangoooo, Jahna girl is picking on me....make her stoooopppp....

Am I going to have separate you two??? Don't make me start counting to three!!! :lol: