Suggestion of where to store Jewelry at home, a safe?

My husband and I own a store where one of the things we sell are fire resistant gun safes. We have multiple ones in our home, and I have one just for my jewelry. We sell Liberty brand safes but there are many others on the market. Not only do I have jewelry in one, I also keep important papers, photos, my Mom's set of silver flatware and silver serving pieces and trays, etc. Anything that could "walk off" or be destroyed in a fire that is valuable OR sentimental to me goes in a safe! I would find it extremely inconvenient to have to go to the bank to get my jewelry AND what am I going to do to protect it until I can get it back to the bank?????

I do caution against buying a small safe because all you do when you have that is tell a potential thief "hey, here's all the good stuff in a convenient carry package!" Many of the small ones SEEM heavy but a couple of motivated guys can remove one pretty quickly. They could potentially take mine, but they would need a lot more time, some heavy duty hand trucks or a dolly, and a box truck. You want to slow them down as much as possible, and a random thief wouldn't have a chance. (If someone "cases" your house and comes prepared that is a different story in any potential burglary.....)

I guess I am biased but I REALLY recommend a home safe, and get the largest one you can afford/fit in your home. You will find all kinds of things besides jewelry that you want to keep safe!!

And yes, they are fire resistant NOT fire proof. There are fire proof safes on the market but they really increase the price of the safe. Unless a fire is exceptionally hot and/or burns for a long time most safes in the 30 minute to 1 hour are fine for home use.

You can't absolutely stop theft or fire, but you can do SOMETHING to try to prevent as much theft and/or damage as possible.

This is going to sound weird but I have to hide my stuff in my own home as it's been stolen before. I try to keep everything on me but I have to hide the rest in candy bar wrappers, Pringles cans stuff like that . It has worked for almost a year now.

OMG all I can think of is how many items would get randomly thrown out in my house if I did that. “Pringles can feels light, must be empty.” *someone chucks a diamond necklace in the trash*

There was a rash of break-ins around here last year, and the thieves usually just used a dolly and removed the safe. Of course, the people I know who were affected did not have their safe bolted to the floor, but the sad part was that they didn't even have jewelry or money in the safe. They had passports, birth certificates and other important documents. Fortunately, they didn't have their identities stolen, as the thieves were just after valuables, but it was extremely upsetting for them to lose them.
I do keep special pieces in the safety deposit box at the bank. Of course, I don't keep daily wear pieces there, but then again, I am often wearing those anyway. I always have at least 24 hours notice before an event I want them for, so it is worth the inconvenience to go get things and return them the following day. We also keep important document in the safety deposit box at the bank, so we cannot possibly lose those to thieves or disaster (although, of course, a bank can be hit by disaster, too, but ykwim).

I have a friend who has a super heavy safe. Not bolted too anything but very heavy, like heavier than a washer. Said it would discourage burglars who would probably move on to something easier.

I have another friend who put stuff in a crappy-looking pouch. When her home was burglarized and they threw stuff around, they took some valuables but left that pouch. It contained an expensive camera but they had no clue. I guess it didn't look expensive enough. xD

Last edited:
a bit OT but I knew a woman who had a very large emerald cut diamond ring. It was stolen from her bedroom. I don't remember whether it was just sitting on the dresser or put away but wasn't locked or hidden. They didn't have insurance. Fortunately after quite a long time - year or more - it was recovered. Fortunately it had an engraved number on it so she got it back.

Reactions: marie132
Hi, just wondering everyone’s ideas on where to store high end jewelry at home. Would a safe be good? It’s so inconvenient to keep going to the safe deposit box at the bank. Pls. Let me know your ideas.

Thanks

If you get a safe, just make sure you bolt it to the floor or build it into a wall. In our area, a number of people have had their homes broken into and had their small/medium safes taken - the entire thing, wheeled away and gone. Sadly, while many people did have valuables in them, many others only had documents in them - birth certificates, passports, etc. I keep most valuables not used or worn daily, documents included, in a safety deposit box in the bank. It is worth the inconvenience, IMO.