Strap Cracks - Beginning of the End?

I am looking to buy my first Goyard piece (Anjou GM) second hand. I do not have a store near me to try on and I am not a fan of the store credit only return policy if I was to receive it and not be 100% happy. Do any of you happen to know if the same repair services can be offered to second hand items or do you have to show proof of purchase? I know that the handles will need to be replaced in due time. Thank you!
Just an update, I ended up purchasing the Anjou GM second hand and sure enough the strap was needing to be replaced. I contacted Goyard and they indeed needed proof of purchase to offer repair services. I then reached out to Leather Surgeons and received the bag back a few days ago unfortunately things didn’t go as planned with the work done by them. Is there another company that you all recommend that could do the handle replacement service?

I’ve had mine for 32 (may 8 2023) days. Didn’t use til a few days ago as I wasn’t sure about keeping it. One strap looks like this and I’ve carried it twice. No computer no anything other than would fit in a speedy 25. Was afraid of this and it’s real. Just days outside my return period and I no longer live in Dallas so I’d have to drive back from houston. I’ve decided not to care.
I would advise you to take photos of the progression and email Goyard corporate to document. If it gets a lot worse you may be glad to have a record of it!

I am looking to buy my first Goyard (specifically a navy Saint Louis) and after a lot of research I was under the impression that Goyard was now on top of the cracking issue. I thought that the new glazing was better.
It is also very disappointing to read about the way Goyard deals with issues when they come up.

Hi there - I am dealing with Goyard right now and also in Canada. I’m wondering if you had any issues with customs in Canada when you received the purse?
Sorry for the delay! No customs issues on my end as they provided commercial receipts to indicate it was for repair. I had to forward some emails and documentation to Fedex though to prove it was for repair.

Reactions: clahanl
Update today June 20 (First email sent March 25). May 26 I responded with exactly what I thought about having to pay for a repair. In that email I requested to pick up my bag June 23 on my NYC visit. I received no response.
I just got an email saying my repaired bag is on its way back to me, and I have not paid anything.
So - good outcome, as long as the repair is up to scratch and lasts. Still have to say that I am mightily unimpressed with both their communication and their expecting me to pay. It feels like they are trying to screw customers further, and many people won’t push back on that. Thanks for all your help on this thread!

Update today June 20 (First email sent March 25). May 26 I responded with exactly what I thought about having to pay for a repair. In that email I requested to pick up my bag June 23 on my NYC visit. I received no response.
I just got an email saying my repaired bag is on its way back to me, and I have not paid anything.
So - good outcome, as long as the repair is up to scratch and lasts. Still have to say that I am mightily unimpressed with both their communication and their expecting me to pay. It feels like they are trying to screw customers further, and many people won’t push back on that. Thanks for all your help on this thread!
Guys. I just got the fedex shipment and they sent me a random blue St Louis purse, not my black and tan Artois, so now I have to keep trying to deal with their stupid customer service. So sick of them!

Any updates? Hoping for good news for you
After three separate emails, they finally responded today saying they still have my purse and asking me to return the one they accidentally sent. HOW can they suck so much? I’m out of the country till mid August (which I explained to them before I left and asked for a quicker response) so it will be a while before I get any resolution.

Decided to post this here. Any help or advice appreciated: Not sure if this is the correct place to ask this, but one of my goyards (oldest, bought in Paris c.2014)a black St Louis PM has developed sticky inside handles. Looks like the sealant has worn through or something. It wouldn't really bother me that much but the inner handles are sticking together. Any idea for repair or DIY solution? Thanks. Kind of hard to see but here is a pic of inner handles that seem to leaking glue.

IMG_4168.jpeg

IMG_4167.jpeg

I know people have had varying degrees of success with this, but the gooey handles seem to have been a recurring issue with bags of that era. If you can get it to a boutique they will likely fix them for you. I took in a 2015 Marquises with the same problem and Goyard is replacing the handles. At least they say they are - my bag has been enjoying an extended vacation back in Paris while I’m awaiting its return.

I know people have had varying degrees of success with this, but the gooey handles seem to have been a recurring issue with bags of that era. If you can get it to a boutique they will likely fix them for you. I took in a 2015 Marquises with the same problem and Goyard is replacing the handles. At least they say they are - my bag has been enjoying an extended vacation back in Paris while I’m awaiting its return.
Thank you for replying. Should I contact the Paris store on St Honore where it was purchased to check on this? Or nyc store? Can you please give me info on this? I still love it and want to carry it but handles a problem. I live far away from any Goyard store,but wonder if an SA at Bergdorf where I have purchased Goyard might help?

Thank you for replying. Should I contact the Paris store on St Honore where it was purchased to check on this? Or nyc store? Can you please give me info on this? I still love it and want to carry it but handles a problem. I live far away from any Goyard store,but wonder if an SA at Bergdorf where I have purchased Goyard might help?
I purchased my bag in Paris as well, but took it in to the Goyard boutique in Miami for the repair process - I contacted them first to make sure they would take it because the store is a couple hours from me. They had me come in, fill out a form, confirmed I was the original purchaser (I didn’t have my receipt, they just looked it up) and collected the bag to send to Paris.

Now, communication has not been great and it’s taking a loooong time, but every so often I email Goyard in Miami or submit a reminder via the web site, just to make sure they haven’t lost it or forgotten about me. I generally get a response with an update in a day or two. That’s how I know the bag is still in Paris, that they were waiting on a part needed for repair, and that they have to custom rebuild the handles because the Marquises style is discontinued and they don’t have spares laying around.

I’ve kept my expectations low and I haven’t been charged for anything. I’d assumed they would just scrape off the gooey sealant and reseal the edges, but instead it sounds like they are replacing the entire handle assembly, including the Marquises’ signature wooden stays (just waiting for that tree to reach maturity so they can carve four 2” pieces from it).

I could have just had a local leather repair place reseal the edges and been done with it but a) I haven’t found a place here I’d trust and b) once I took it elsewhere Goyard probably wouldn’t touch it ever again. So I put it in their hands and I will be very curious to see how it comes back. (And when!)

I’m guessing that I should invest in Celine this time instead of Goyard.
Given that I am still waiting for a response to three separate emails asking where my purse is, after they sent me someone else's purse by mistake and I have been dealing with them since March...I would say yes. I just purchased a Celine Belt Bag a few weeks ago - it would have been my second Goyard had it not been for both their crappy product and worse customer service. It's really shocking. Celine told me I can walk into any store in the world if there is ever a problem, that they will refurbish my bag for free after 18 months, there is a 2 year warranty that they are upfront about in comparison to Goyard's sneakiness. I haven't had to deal with their customer service yet but even their SAs were much nicer than Goyard.

Reactions: missD