Strap Cracks - Beginning of the End?

Thank you. I will call the credit card company tomorrow and find out if I have any recourse. They are getting more and more unpleasant and I don't see this ending well. Edited - my husband just told me they have sent my Artois back, and it's not fixed, so I have no options with anything now. It's just garbage. Done with Goyard. Thanks for all your help. Hope everyone else here continues to enjoy their purchases and never has to deal with their customer service.
Wow that a pure trash move. This is the worse customer service I’ve ever encountered. I’m so sorry.

Reactions: SDC2003 and clahanl
I meant to post this here instead of chat thread: Just wanted to report back that I did finally receive an email (2-3 weeks) from Goyard about the “sticky” handles on my Black St Louis pm. Patience may yet pay off. Now they want receipt, pics, etc etc which I sent. Assuming since this was bought in Paris in 2017, they’ll tell me to send the bag - have yet to receive “authorization form” - somewhere in the USA???

I meant to post this here instead of chat thread: Just wanted to report back that I did finally receive an email (2-3 weeks) from Goyard about the “sticky” handles on my Black St Louis pm. Patience may yet pay off. Now they want receipt, pics, etc etc which I sent. Assuming since this was bought in Paris in 2017, they’ll tell me to send the bag - have yet to receive “authorization form” - somewhere in the USA???
Yes - you will likely get an authorization to send to their NYC location. They will tell you that you are liable to pay for shipping both ways, and because it's outside the 6 month window, they will likely charge you to fix the handles also. You are looking at minimum 4 months of dealing with them and minimum charge of USD$500 for shipping and fixing, unless they are feeling very generous.

In my experience after service with goyard is awful. I had the Saint Louis for a couple months and knew about the potential issues and was very careful to only carry lightweight items and the handles still had issues. I went through the same bs and months of back and forth - being told I was responsible for paying for new handles etc. although these days it does seem though they’re more willing to replace than in the past. If you’re dealing with bs from the brand and you bought directly from the boutique I suggest trying your state consumer complaint division. They may be able to assist and it may elicit a quicker response from the brand and a good resolution. As consumers you have certain rights when it comes to purchases of goods.

I'm actually amazed they still don't put a disclaimer on their product page or something to the effect of "This design was intended to be used as a lightweight beach tote. To maintain the condition, we do not recommend using it as a daily bag or carrying more than a wallet and light towel in it." I think that's what some stores will tell shoppers but it doesn't seem uniform... some guidance would go a long way to setting expectations. The brand portrays it as a bag that can be used like any other tote.

I think it is the luck of the draw. I have a burgundy St. Louis…I ordered it from Bergdorfs in NYC for my birthday at least 3 years ago…it was shipped directly from Goyard in New York. I have been using it as my daily purse for months and months…I am retired and don’t go out much and dress up maybe once or twice a year, so not much call to switch it up. I carry WAY too much in my bag…I keep saying I have to clear it out. I think the insert from Cuyana adds a lot of weight.

The point is…my strap are pristine…no cracks to be seen. I won’t buy anything else from the company because I don’t care for their attitude or the way they do business, but the quality of my bag is not at all an issue.

It's definitely the luck of the draw but they should just set expectations conservatively and let some be pleasantly surprised. At least if they use it heavily and it breaks down Goyard can say "we even have this on our website." I don't think the potential issues are widely known unless you follow fashion and the stores don't seem to be uniformly advising on this. Most of all, I wish they made them all a bit more reinforced like the limited ed ones!

Reactions: 1LV and sihetho
I have three St. Louis totes that I’ve been using for years and I haven’t had any issues with the straps or corners. If I did, I would hope that Goyard would be more responsive than some have experienced and stated on this forum. It’s important to do your research and keep in mind that all luxury items are not necessarily durable and all SAs aren’t knowledgeable. I’ve often had SAs tell me incorrect info. As for Goyard, even though it’s not in their best interest, it would be nice if their website was transparent about their products, pricing, etc…BUT if I knew how much it cost to make a St. Louis pm tote, I probably would not buy one!

Reactions: sihetho
Same here! A red one and blue one. Had them both repaired through Goyard and the red started again a few months later.
That's terrible. I wonder if it is due to the type of dye they used for certain batches since some members here don't have color transfer issues. Regardless, it is still a bad experience and you would never find that in LV totes.

I started using my Goyard this past weekend and noticed that the workshop stained my bag. Ugh

This tan/orange dot is the same color as the ones on the Y although it might not look like it from the pic. It definitely was NOT there before because I inspect my bags before purchase like a hawk.

image.jpg

I must say that the handles are a bit 'skinny' for a tote and looking closely, there are only a couple of stitches where the handles touched the bag. I'm not surprised that anything over 5 lbs will add pressure to the skinny handles. What worries me more is the bleeding and I've see some of it in the Burgundy St Louis from reseller sites like Fashionphile and Real Real. If Goyard wants to trace it, I bet batches can be identified.

I believe that they require proof of purchase/do not want to touch bags purchased secondhand. Can anyone else confirm for certain? I haven’t looked into this for a while, so things could have changed.

Goyard wanted my proof of purchase (scanned/photographed of receipt) before they allowed me to send the bag in for review.

I lost my receipt and had to get the Bal Harbor boutique to email me a purchase record all while wondering…

”Goyard US corporate! You have my full name, purchase date, and purchase location…you can find my purchase record!”

Just an update, I ended up purchasing the Anjou GM second hand and sure enough the strap was needing to be replaced. I contacted Goyard and they indeed needed proof of purchase to offer repair services. I then reached out to Leather Surgeons and received the bag back a few days ago unfortunately things didn’t go as planned with the work done by them. Is there another company that you all recommend that could do the handle replacement service?

I purchased my bag in Paris as well, but took it in to the Goyard boutique in Miami for the repair process - I contacted them first to make sure they would take it because the store is a couple hours from me. They had me come in, fill out a form, confirmed I was the original purchaser (I didn’t have my receipt, they just looked it up) and collected the bag to send to Paris.

Now, communication has not been great and it’s taking a loooong time, but every so often I email Goyard in Miami or submit a reminder via the web site, just to make sure they haven’t lost it or forgotten about me. I generally get a response with an update in a day or two. That’s how I know the bag is still in Paris, that they were waiting on a part needed for repair, and that they have to custom rebuild the handles because the Marquises style is discontinued and they don’t have spares laying around.

I’ve kept my expectations low and I haven’t been charged for anything. I’d assumed they would just scrape off the gooey sealant and reseal the edges, but instead it sounds like they are replacing the entire handle assembly, including the Marquises’ signature wooden stays (just waiting for that tree to reach maturity so they can carve four 2” pieces from it).

I could have just had a local leather repair place reseal the edges and been done with it but a) I haven’t found a place here I’d trust and b) once I took it elsewhere Goyard probably wouldn’t touch it ever again. So I put it in their hands and I will be very curious to see how it comes back. (And when!)
I'm wondering if you're not the original purchaser but you bought it & it came with the receipt, would that be enough? or goyard would only repair the item if you are the original purchaser, have the receipt & can find it under your profile?

I was thinking of purchasing something second hand as I went to like 4 countries & couldn't find the bag. But I might try again in paris later this year if that's the case