Strange post, but... Does anyone own a DYSON vacuum?

I'd really suggest a Miele, Series 5 (brand new, with a price drop of about $100) if you like a cansiter, or a Sebo x4 or x5 if you like a upright. Both are made in Germany, have the highest ratings in terms of filtration and great warranties. (mile has 7 years on its motor, Sebo has 3.) The sebo folds down to perfectly flat to fit under furniture and has a lifetime guaranty on its belt. Both have much more suction than Dyson, and are hands down the best vacuums. They are, however, expensive. Both require bags and filters.

They are sold in sewing machine/vauum specialty shops and not your big box store. If you are spending $500 for a Dyson, check out the Sebo x4. The difference in quality, construction, and performance is really unbeleivable.

vickitoria said:
We have a yellow one... it looks fancy but the thing sure is heavy.
Also, since the day we got it, if it brushes against the side of a wall, it makes this LOUD buzzing sound (that scares the crap out of me everytime).
I would rather have a small, lightweight vacuum that gets the job done, IMO

the problem is that i've never seen a small, lightweight vaccuum that actually DID anything - they're usually a waste of money, unfortunately. Oreck's are ok, but i've seen a Dyson do a room immediately after an Oreck and pick up soooooo much extra stuff that the Oreck missed. Dyson's are about 20 lbs, which makes them as light or lighter as many of the vacs in the same price range, even though they're still a tad heavy. the DC15 Balls are a pound or two lighter.

i mentioned previously in this thread that i sell Dysons, right? well, not only Dysons, but vacs and appliances in general, so i'm fairly familiar. if anyone has any questions about them, let me know!

TheImportersWife, you might be able to solve the problem with the beater bar and your hair fairly easily. Dyson's are exceptionally easy to take apart - when your bar gets caught up, you should be able to pop open the bottom plate using a penny (there are three little plastic bolts) and get to the beater bar easily. unfortunately, hair and beater bars don't get along, no matter what brand of vac.

i highly recommend the new DC15 Ball Animal, they're definately the best Dysons so far. the beater bar is MUCH easier to clean in those because it's completely removable.

naid said:
I'd really suggest a Miele, Series 5 (brand new, with a price drop of about $100) if you like a cansiter, or a Sebo x4 or x5 if you like a upright. Both are made in Germany, have the highest ratings in terms of filtration and great warranties. (mile has 7 years on its motor, Sebo has 3.) The sebo folds down to perfectly flat to fit under furniture and has a lifetime guaranty on its belt. Both have much more suction than Dyson, and are hands down the best vacuums. They are, however, expensive. Both require bags and filters.

They are sold in sewing machine/vauum specialty shops and not your big box store. If you are spending $500 for a Dyson, check out the Sebo x4. The difference in quality, construction, and performance is really unbeleivable.

I don't have a Miele, but my best friend does and she's a vacuuming freak! She tested out the Miele and the Dyson and said that the Miele won HANDS DOWN! I believe that most Miele retailers will let you test out the vacuum at home too... So it doesn't hurt to try it out... I'd at least take a look at it if you're planning on investing $ in a high-end vacuum.

Okay, you've sold me! I've been wanting a Dyson for a while. I currently have a Hoover Wind Tunnel. I don't have pets, so this will be mostly for dust, etc... Amanda, what do you suggest? The DC15 Ball Animal? And the second question is, where is the cheapest place to buy it? Online or in a store? We have 10% tax here, so it might be a savings to get it online (if I can find a place I feel is reliable).

Thanks for all the info!!

Wow, I can't believe I missed this thread back in March! I am a huge Dyson fan; I have the "animal" model. I bought it when I had my beagles. Best vacuum ever...worth every penny.

I have to say this thread gave me alot of information to work with and Amanda's information really added fuel to the fire. Thanks Amanda!!!:flowers:

I went out to Bed Bath and Beyond and Best Buy and test "drove" the DC14 and DC15 and it was the DC15 Animal hands down for me. But here is where the savings came in.

Best Buy here in California has a price match policy and I had a 20% coupon from Bed Bath and Beyond and Best Buy let me use the coupon and I saved $120.00 off the price of the DC15 Animal. This was just yesterday. I got it for $479. That is basically comparible to what it's selling for on Ebay.

I hope this helps someone else save money if you try this. And remember, Bed Bath and Beyond Coupons never expire even though they have expiration dates on them. And tell Best Buy that Bed Bath and Beyond sells the DC15, but they don't have to know that they may not have the DC15 Animal in stock.:graucho:

caannie said:
Okay, you've sold me! I've been wanting a Dyson for a while. I currently have a Hoover Wind Tunnel. I don't have pets, so this will be mostly for dust, etc... Amanda, what do you suggest? The DC15 Ball Animal? And the second question is, where is the cheapest place to buy it? Online or in a store? We have 10% tax here, so it might be a savings to get it online (if I can find a place I feel is reliable).

Thanks for all the info!!

even though it's the most expensive one ($600 without a coupon or something), the DC15 Ball Animal is, in my mind, the best deal for what you get. it's only $50 more than the DC14 Animal, and for that you get the Ball system (which is much easier on your back if you're going to be doing a good bit of vaccuuming and MUCH easier to maneuver) and a beater bar system that is a lot easier to take apart and fix, should you get long hair wrapped around it (have someone at whatever store you go to demonstrate it for you). Plus the extra tools that you get are redesigned, so any issues that they had with the DC14 floor tools, you should avoid. i'm a Best Buy employee, and we do match our competitor's coupons, so what the previous poster said about the Bed Bath and Beyond 20% off coupon (or any other coupon for a competitor that carries Dyson) should work, as long as it doesn't have Dyson in its restrictions. good luck, and make sure you get a good demonstration from your salesperson so that you can get the most out of your machine (since the system is quite different than most mass-market vaccuums).

I LOVE my Dyson. You will be absolutely amazed at how much stuff it picks up from what you thought was a relatively clen rug or carpet.
They have them at Costco too.

My husband (who does the majority of vacuuming in our house) and I test drove both the DC14 and the DC15 ball and we both liked the manuverability of the DC14 better than the ball. We have had it for about 6 months now and absolutely LOVE it! The only "maintenance" we have had to perform so far is to cut away hair from the beater bar that had wrapped around it, but it only took about 10 minutes and is good as new again. We replaced our Rykar vaccuum with this and I am NEVER going back to the Rykar ($650). We bought ours at Kohls. It was 25% off and then I had a 15% off Kohls MVP coupon. It came to around $484 with tax. It has all the attachments and the Sorb powder, which is wonderful for freshening up carpets, especially if you have pets.

I have the purple animal one for 3 years now and I :heart: it! We have a medium hair cat (yes, I know people say there are no such thing but he is medium hair) and it picks up all his fur and my long hair. It's expensive but well worth it.

I have a Dyson and my friend does too. We both have the DC-15. It's the newest one with the ball at the bottom. It works really well, all you have to do is just twist your wrist and the vacuum moves to the direction you want it to. I think it's worth the money and it does do an excellent job at cleaning the house.

FYI..

I just got my new Kohls sale catalog. The sale runs August 17th through the 22nd. The front of the catalog has a scratch off for an extra bonus of 15, 20 or 30%. I got 20%. The DC15 ball is on sale for 499.99 and the DC14 animal is on sale for $549.99. If you order online, you can use my 20% coupon by entering code BUS20 (wonder if BUS30 would work for the 30% coupon).

We've had ours for about 3 years and we LOVE it! Ours is the green and purple one for pet hair. Our golden retriever sheds constantly and it used it drive me crazy but the Dyson has really made all of the difference. DEFINITELY worth the money in my opinion.

LadyFran said:
FYI..

I just got my new Kohls sale catalog. The sale runs August 17th through the 22nd. The front of the catalog has a scratch off for an extra bonus of 15, 20 or 30%. I got 20%. The DC15 ball is on sale for 499.99 and the DC14 animal is on sale for $549.99. If you order online, you can use my 20% coupon by entering code BUS20 (wonder if BUS30 would work for the 30% coupon).

just so you know, this DC15 is probably just the regular DC15, not the DC15 animal (the difference is that the regular one only comes with basic attachments and the animal comes with ones that are good for pet hair, etc.)