Spring 2008 Ads

Haha, I printed that one and showed it to my design department and we sat and discussed it :smile: We're trying to figure out if the paint on the elephant is real or photoshop. It kind of looks real! Even the guys were like, "I like that dress she's wearing" LOL! I told them it was a scarf and they were impressed.

I think the clothes look beautiful in both ads.
It's true though that the Kelly Caleche ad made me go out and buy the boots and the belt already. (Not the perfume or the whip though.)

I love the ad. I love how all the color is with the elephants and ground. If the clothing were in color it would "fight" with all of the bright colors of the elephants and ground. I think the white clothing adds balance. It allows ones eye to go to the luscious colors of the elephants' decorations, ground and H wording. I think it works really well.

All great points. As devil's advocate, I would say this:

(1) this ad was deliberately composed, to the very last detail (like a Jeff Wall piece of art!) - so it is not accidental that the pale indian sky "fades" down into her white suit. A different spin is that the H products are materializing out of the air and elements - a natural reflection, or embodiment, of the Indian landscape. It flows directly out of nature - is drawn entirely from nature, and is organic (not jarring, contrasting).

(2) there is symmetry here that draws the eye to the whole ad: the colours on the elephant eyes is the colour on and under their feet - the eye is drawn to all of these colours. The trunks and her legs draw the eye vertically, and the orangey eye - H logo - orangey eye move it laterally.

(3) the warmth and darkness of her skin tone pop against the white sky/clothes, creating an analogy to the elephant (eye/feet).

(4) the real message to me (what POPS out of this ad) is: COLOUR!! Compare and contrast to Kelly caleche. This ad campaign is about India, and the glorious, vibrant colours it is known for. This ad messages to me that 2008 is a year about bright, bold colours. In a sense, the white RTW is a really secondary piece. It's as if they don't want to draw attention away from the colour. The white is not bold white - again, it is more muted (off whites?) and blended almost naturally into the landscape, creating a canvas for the colour, the artistry. (And those flower petals!! new H scents, anyone?? The ad is almost fragrant!)

(5) - ok, I'll stop... :shame:

I didn't see this until after I posted. Well said!!! :tup: This is exactly what I was trying to say!:yes:

It reminds me of this photo.. Dress is by Dior

2111077612_b35e225fa6_o.jpg

Photo taken in the late 1950s

The second one is nice, but I think the dior one from the 50s is so much nicer. It's a little different than the more casual looking hermes ads though.

One thing I found a little hilarious is that allthough the scarf dress is gorgeous! it says "indian dust hermes" right on the bottom part. :lol: