SOG LED nail lamps

Ladies, how does one purchase the OPI or Gelish 18g without a nail tech license and NOT void the warranty? I would have purchased one long ago except that on the off chance that you get a dud, there's no recourse and that's $200 down the drain. Any ideas?

Not that you asked, but Nail Tech Supply is having a sale on the Gelish 18g with six Gelish colors for $198.29 - http://www.nailtechsupply.com/cart/...ed-light-get-6-free-select-gelish-colors-free,
as well as the Artistic Pro 30 (said to be a dupe of the Gelish 18G) with six ACG colors (retired only) for $199 - http://www.nailtechsupply.com/cart/...eceive-6-select-colour-gloss-gel-colours-free.

And OPI is doing a special of the OPI light with six polishes for $199 - http://pro.opi.com/page.aspx?p=31.

Not that you asked, but Nail Tech Supply is having a sale on the Gelish 18g with six Gelish colors for $198.29 - http://www.nailtechsupply.com/cart/...ed-light-get-6-free-select-gelish-colors-free,
as well as the Artistic Pro 30 (said to be a dupe of the Gelish 18G) with six ACG colors (retired only) for $199 - http://www.nailtechsupply.com/cart/...eceive-6-select-colour-gloss-gel-colours-free.

And OPI is doing a special of the OPI light with six polishes for $199 - http://pro.opi.com/page.aspx?p=31.
:wtf: This is how I'm feeling right now, Nancy. I just purchased a Kiss and Sensationail lamp in order to see what kind of quality they were in comparison to my RCM lamp. And because I'm cheap. Now I'm going to have to do this instead. :drool: Perhaps I'll be lucky enough by the time the other lamps die on me (shouldn't be that long) that they'll be a similar sale available.

On another note, most of my gel polishes are RCM. Their cure time is 45 seconds. I'm assuming because their lamp is only 6 watts. Do you think they need to be cured in the Kiss (7.5 watt) and Sensationail (7 watt) lamps for the 45 sec. also or can I get away with 30 seconds because the wattage is different?

On another note, most of my gel polishes are RCM. Their cure time is 45 seconds. I'm assuming because their lamp is only 6 watts. Do you think they need to be cured in the Kiss (7.5 watt) and Sensationail (7 watt) lamps for the 45 sec. also or can I get away with 30 seconds because the wattage is different?
It's not really a matter of wattage as much as the strength of the light spectrum. Some where on one of the forums is a link to an article that explains it. I would stick with the 45 seconds . I had a lower wattage lamp that I used to travel, but didn't like that it only cured four fingers at a time . I then bought the more expensive Gelish one. I still cure the same amount if time .I had the Pro CND one to begin with because it basically cures all types of polish and I started out with shellac. It was expensive, but it needs the bulbs replaced periodically, where an LED light does not. It is also to big to travel with. It took much longer to cure too. One thing you don't want to do is under cure the polish which can lead to problems with allergic reactions. I will see if I can find that article . You might find it if you read back a few pages in this forum.

It's not really a matter of wattage as much as the strength of the light spectrum. Some where on one of the forums is a link to an article that explains it. I would stick with the 45 seconds . I had a lower wattage lamp that I used to travel, but didn't like that it only cured four fingers at a time . I then bought the more expensive Gelish one. I still cure the same amount if time .I had the Pro CND one to begin with because it basically cures all types of polish and I started out with shellac. It was expensive, but it needs the bulbs replaced periodically, where an LED light does not. It is also to big to travel with. It took much longer to cure too. One thing you don't want to do is under cure the polish which can lead to problems with allergic reactions. I will see if I can find that article . You might find it if you read back a few pages in this forum.
Thanks for the info. That's what I'm concerned about, the potential for allergies. It's better to be safe then sorry, so 45 sec. it is! I mistakenly assumed that the professional LED lamps cut down the curing time, because of their wattage. I thought that's why the price is so much higher. Good to know that that is not the case.

It is a matter of both. You need to have both the proper light range (UV is 300-400nm and LED usually 375 to 400 nm) AND the proper amount of power (intensity). Generally speaking, more wattage equals a shorter curing time because you are providing more light intensity. But if the light spectrum is the wrong match, it may never completely cure. Doug Schoon has a quick email blast on this topicc - http://www.schoonscientific.com/eblast/eblast_2014-08-12_Complexity-of-UV-Curing.htm

Unless you are using CND Shellac, or some other UV-only gel, I don't see the point in getting a traditional UV lamp instead of an LED. Even when you don't use your lamp very often, the bulbs generally need replacement at least every six months and for this lamp, with six instead of the usual 4 bulbs, that gets expensive fast. In fact, each set of new bulbs could easily cost you the reduced price of this lamp. By the time you've changed the bulbs four times, you've paid for a good LED lamp.

Unless you are using CND Shellac, or some other UV-only gel, I don't see the point in getting a traditional UV lamp instead of an LED. Even when you don't use your lamp very often, the bulbs generally need replacement at least every six months and for this lamp, with six instead of the usual 4 bulbs, that gets expensive fast. In fact, each set of new bulbs could easily cost you the reduced price of this lamp. By the time you've changed the bulbs four times, you've paid for a good LED lamp.
Good point, Nancy. I could not imagine going back to a UV light and I thought CND was supposed to change their Shellac to be able to be LED cured.....

Good point, Nancy. I could not imagine going back to a UV light and I thought CND was supposed to change their Shellac to be able to be LED cured.....

I feel bad for CND Shellac users. It's a great product, but the craziness with the lamp made me just about give up on it. They have taken so long to go LED. LE, NSI, and LeChat made the change almost two years ago. In addition to taking so long, they have been mysterious about whether an LED-curable Shellac would be curable in any LED lamp or would it require a CND LED lamp, just as they did with the UV lamp. I have used CND Shellac base coat in my LED and find it works well, but I am nervous about colors and topcoat in the LED.

I feel bad for CND Shellac users. It's a great product, but the craziness with the lamp made me just about give up on it. They have taken so long to go LED. LE, NSI, and LeChat made the change almost two years ago. In addition to taking so long, they have been mysterious about whether an LED-curable Shellac would be curable in any LED lamp or would it require a CND LED lamp, just as they did with the UV lamp. I have used CND Shellac base coat in my LED and find it works well, but I am nervous about colors and topcoat in the LED.
I started my SOG addiction with Shellac but my nails always felt so bendy with it (before the acrygel discovery) and I wanted the shorter time using LED. Chickettes wrote that she cures some of the Shellac colors in her LED. I have too many bases, but have terrible removals and would love to get the Shellac base since everyone says it's the best for removal. How long do you cure it in the LED light? I have the Gelish 18g.