SOG LED nail lamps

Did my first mani using my new CND lamp. I was using a generic UV lamp the last 3 years and one bulb socket started having an issue with not being reliable. I use the shellac brisa base coat and mostly shellac colors because the removal is so gentle on the natural nails.The lamp worked like a dream. I am hoping to get much longer wear. Generic lamp gave me 5-10 days at most. Average i would say was 6 days. My question is..Anyone using the CND lamp check the bulb life display. I know it can not keep trach of minutes but so far only used it once for 16 minutes. The hours that start at 100 went down to 99. I read it is not 100 mani's but 100 hours on the bulbs which is a huge difference.
Comments welcomed. Thanks in advance.

Did my first mani using my new CND lamp. I was using a generic UV lamp the last 3 years and one bulb socket started having an issue with not being reliable. I use the shellac brisa base coat and mostly shellac colors because the removal is so gentle on the natural nails.The lamp worked like a dream. I am hoping to get much longer wear. Generic lamp gave me 5-10 days at most. Average i would say was 6 days. My question is..Anyone using the CND lamp check the bulb life display. I know it can not keep trach of minutes but so far only used it once for 16 minutes. The hours that start at 100 went down to 99. I read it is not 100 mani's but 100 hours on the bulbs which is a huge difference.

Yay! For the new lamp. You are correct that the display shows hours remaining before bulb change. Think of it as "the number of FULL hours left", so your display is correctly showing 99 :biggrin: ... Over time you might get a bit of shellac on a bulb, so one tip is flipping the bulbs around at 50 hrs (which won't be for a looooong time) to have a fresh side facing your nails.

Yay! For the new lamp. You are correct that the display shows hours remaining before bulb change. Think of it as "the number of FULL hours left", so your display is correctly showing 99 :biggrin: ... Over time you might get a bit of shellac on a bulb, so one tip is flipping the bulbs around at 50 hrs (which won't be for a looooong time) to have a fresh side facing your nails.
That you for the response and the tip about flipping the bulbs ! Looking forward to many wonderful manis with the new lamp !

You should also be aware that it is both usage and time that impact the lifespan of your bulbs. These bulbs/lamps are designed to be used many times in a day for many months, but even if you don't use them every day, you'll find that the power degrades. Look to replace the bulbs every 9 months or so sen if you only use it a couple of times a week or less.

Hi all, I was wondering if anybody else has had issues with the Gelish 5-45 lamp? I've just upgraded my lamp, and was so excited to try it out, but it's hopeless! I did a normal SOG mani, following my normal process, all Gelish products (gels, cleanser etc.), but the gel just isn't curing. I've tried doubling the cure time (it's got a 45 second timer, so cured all layers for 90 seconds), and it still didn't cure properly. I'm so disappointed. Has anyone else had this trouble? :sad:

you'll find that the power degrades. Look to replace the bulbs every 9 months or so sen if you only use it a couple of times a week or less.

This has definitely been my experience as well.

Hi all, I was wondering if anybody else has had issues with the Gelish 5-45 lamp? I've just upgraded my lamp, and was so excited to try it out, but it's hopeless! I did a normal SOG mani, following my normal process, all Gelish products (gels, cleanser etc.), but the gel just isn't curing. I've tried doubling the cure time (it's got a 45 second timer, so cured all layers for 90 seconds), and it still didn't cure properly. I'm so disappointed. Has anyone else had this trouble? :sad:

I don't have one, but that sounds like it's defective. :sad:

Code:
This has definitely been my experience as well.

I don't have one, but that sounds like it's defective. :sad:
I have the smaller Gelish pro light ( the curved one that only does four fingers at a time ) it is 6 watt, and cures with no problem. I usually just use it for traveling because I have the pro CND light ( UV) but it's too big to travel with when flying etc. I think your light is probably defective. Keep us updated . I was thinking of getting the new light you have . Sorry I replied to the wrong person. It wouldn't delete .

Last edited:
I have the smaller Gelish pro light ( the one that only does 4 fingers at a time ) it cures with no problem. It is the 6 watt one.I usually only use it for traveling because I have the CND pro UV light that I use at home. Keep us updated. I think your light must be defective . I was thinking of getting that one you have .

I have the smaller Gelish pro light ( the curved one that only does four fingers at a time ) it is 6 watt, and cures with no problem. I usually just use it for traveling because I have the pro CND light ( UV) but it's too big to travel with when flying etc. I think your light is probably defective. Keep us updated . I was thinking of getting the new light you have . Sorry I replied to the wrong person. It wouldn't delete .
Hi All, just wanted to let you know that it turned out the light wasn't the problem. I thought it must have been defective, after I'd made 3 attempts with colours, base coat and top coat I'd all used before. But it turns out that the first time I used my Gelish 5-45 lamp coincided with my bottle of Top It Off giving up its will to cure!
I brought out my old trusty generic lamp, and re-did my mani, and that didn't cure either, so I knew one of the gels was dodgy (even though I'd used them all before). I was suspicous of the top coat, as that obviously wasn't curing. So I tried a different bottle of top coat, with my new Gelish 5-45 lamp, and it cured beautifully!
I didn't expect the gel polish to just stop curing. I thought as it aged it would get thick and goopy, but my Top It Off just stopped curing, even though it still applied well.
Anyway, lesson learnt. But I'm happy to report that the Gelish 5-45 lamp is awesome! Really happy with it (especially after such a rocky start). :smile:

Hi All, just wanted to let you know that it turned out the light wasn't the problem. I thought it must have been defective, after I'd made 3 attempts with colours, base coat and top coat I'd all used before. But it turns out that the first time I used my Gelish 5-45 lamp coincided with my bottle of Top It Off giving up its will to cure!
I brought out my old trusty generic lamp, and re-did my mani, and that didn't cure either, so I knew one of the gels was dodgy (even though I'd used them all before). I was suspicous of the top coat, as that obviously wasn't curing. So I tried a different bottle of top coat, with my new Gelish 5-45 lamp, and it cured beautifully!
I didn't expect the gel polish to just stop curing. I thought as it aged it would get thick and goopy, but my Top It Off just stopped curing, even though it still applied well.
Anyway, lesson learnt. But I'm happy to report that the Gelish 5-45 lamp is awesome! Really happy with it (especially after such a rocky start). :smile:
Wow! That is the first time I have heard that top coat can quit curing when it gets old. I would have never thought of that if the same thing happened to me. Good job. :tup:

Wow! That is the first time I have heard that top coat can quit curing when it gets old. I would have never thought of that if the same thing happened to me. Good job. :tup:
:cool: I'm assuming it's age related, only because I can't think of anything else it could be. I haven't changed where it's stored, how I apply it etc., and I've had it for about 2 years. Luckily I still had my old lamp to verify the top coat was the problem, otherwise I'd still be thinking my new light was dodgy. It was just bad timing. :smile:
Might have to buy a new foundation gel as well, as I bought that at the same time as my TIO.

Is it normal that the brush of the top coat gets a little bit coloured from the color coats underneath?

And: When I swipe off the sticky residue after the second colour coat, there is color on the swipe. Is that normal or does that mean that my led lamp doesn't cure well? But after curing the top coat and swiping away the sticky residue there isn't any color there.

Last edited:
Thank you for the fast answer :smile: Yeah it's just a little bit at the tip.

Is it normal that the brush of the top coat gets a little bit coloured from the color coats underneath?

And: When I swipe off the sticky residue after the second colour coat, there is color on the swipe. Is that normal or does that mean that my led lamp doesn't cure well? But after curing the top coat and swiping away the sticky residue there isn't any color there.
Just saw the second bit :smile: I get the same thing, and have heard of other people getting the same thing, so I think it's normal. As long as your overall Mani is cured (doesn't come off when you remove the tacky layer and lasts a while) then I'd think your lamp is doing its job well. One thing I discovered with my dodgy top coat is that it's really obvious when your Mani hasn't cured. It comes away with the cleanser and looks awful! :smile: