Small talk: Ratio of expenses for a Sellier K25

Interesting to stumble across this thread. My take on this is the rules are different everywhere. In Australia, if you want a kelly bag that is size 28 or less, regardless of how loyal you are to the brand or whether you have spent your 1.5-2:1 ratio, you still have to wait. I’ve gone without any quota bags for a full year despite spending more than 1.5 - 2 more than the bag I want and based on my 5++ years at my local boutique, it’s between 8-16 months wait for a kelly bag (probably the tail end of that range by the way). Once you get a kelly and if your next wishlist is another kelly, that’s another 8-16 months of wait plus spend plus how worthy u are to the SM. However, if you asked for a birkin after your kelly offer, you are more likely to score one. After scoring a b and if you are after a kelly, it’s another long long wait... so it’s trained me to be very selective of my wishlist due to the amount of wait time required.

Additionally, what everyone else said was on point, it’s one thing spending your ratio, it’s another thing being selected as the client who deserves the offer. A lot of factors come into play but I know for sure that my SM favours those who are ‘celebrities’ in the town, including popular social bloggers. So naturally they get the best offers first followed by a loyal small potato that is waiting in line. Some get more than 2 quota bags a year through their other half’s account. I don’t spend over $50k per year but I’m certainly close to spending that much and I could still be quota-bagless.

The other thing I’ve also noticed, whilst being offered special orders is special and I am very grateful for it, my podium bag offers definitely are affected by it. My SA will always say ‘you have a special bag coming soon’ so let’s be patient. So sometimes I’m not really that excited to be getting SOs made coz the specs I always want are notoriously known to take years.. and I mean at least 2 years but they don’t care about that, they are under the assumption you will get a bag soon so the podium bags are for other clients who don’t have SOs coming. That said I thought I should just be smarter by getting the simplest and easiest leather and design and I’ll probably get more quota bags every year through SOs than wait for a podium bag offer [emoji23][emoji23]

I also have SAs in two other asian countries and they were outright open at telling me how much I needed to spend for them to propose me for a bag and they also list out all the stock available or would be arriving for the year. So honestly, it’s hard to tell how H works other than take everything with a grain of salt. My DH always tells me to not expect anything as I’m just not as rich as other clients and not popular enough to be offered bags as often as id like.

In japan, I’ve been offered pretty good quota bags as walk in customers. And in Paris, nothing from fsh and a kelly in a colour that wasn’t in my list from sevres with 1.5:1 spend.

So hopefully this gives everyone some insights to how varied the rules are almost everywhere. Do I enjoy the whole H game? No but I genuinely love other things they offer particularly rtw so even if I didn’t get any quota bags, I’m still happy. Plus I’m always reminding myself to be grateful for what I already have. Maybe it’s just a way to make myself feel better [emoji4] till my patience runs out.

In your situation, i would suggest waiting for a little more to see how things pan out. Your SO might be the reason she can’t offer you a podium kelly 25. And if not, then I would think it’s a matter of waiting, spending more, or like what some suggested, time to move on from the SA who’s not willing to help. Honestly I’ve seen friends’ SAs who are willing to go above and beyond for them for anything and they aren’t high spenders and still get great bag offers. So it is true that if you meet the right one, you are sweet for H as long as they stick around [emoji14].

And I always believe this - ‘there ARE ALWAYS quota bags at the back, it’s just not for you.’

So well said! :tup:

Thank you for your sharing your takes on my story. I definitely understand that my SA is facing some pressure while K25 is one of the most demanding bags in Hermes collection. I might have said it in other replies - I just wished that my SA could help me work towards the "goal" and build a competitive profile for a Sellier K25 offer. Since she's being very vague on it, I'm trying to seek for more opinions from the fellow tpfers. I would like to draw a line without spending too much on non-bag items. After shopping at H for 10 years, I basically have purchased all the styles I like. I refuse to spend another 5-10k on items that I don't need or like enough for the sake of being offered a Sellier K25. Your understanding is greatly appreciated, and happy holidays to you and your family!
I think there are a few things worth being pointed out. Butler leather is very limited and I don't know if a butler leather K25 was even available to order at the last few podiums. Other heritage leathers such as box or barenia cannot be order at the podium and is strictly push offer only. Have you checked with your SA/SM a K25 in butler leather was even order by the store or not? If not and they are relying on push offer, the wait could be forever and they would not be able to tell you when or whether it will come in.

However, I do think that your SA is milking this opportunity to get you to buy more "stuff". At this point, I would go to a reputable reseller. Heritage leather such as box are not really very popular with open market and the prices I have seen are reasonable. Although a lot of them will be somehow worn. If you don't mind a bit of use then I would seriously looking at those options right now.

I think there are a few things worth being pointed out. Butler leather is very limited and I don't know if a butler leather K25 was even available to order at the last few podiums. Other heritage leathers such as box or barenia cannot be order at the podium and is strictly push offer only. Have you checked with your SA/SM a K25 in butler leather was even order by the store or not? If not and they are relying on push offer, the wait could be forever and they would not be able to tell you when or whether it will come in.

However, I do think that your SA is milking this opportunity to get you to buy more "stuff". At this point, I would go to a reputable reseller. Heritage leather such as box are not really very popular with open market and the prices I have seen are reasonable. Although a lot of them will be somehow worn. If you don't mind a bit of use then I would seriously looking at those options right now.

It sounds like OP has been informed by her SA that in general k25 sellier bags are very hard to come by and she hasn’t met their offer criteria for this specific size and style though not so much about butler leather not currently in production. OP has been a loyal client for over a decade so I don’t see why she cannot be looked after for any of the iconic bags. It would be more about the waiting period and the amount she spends before getting the offer plus her pending SO is probably another contributing factor. It’s always disheartening to be in this sort of vague situation so I hope things do work out eventually for OP.

Reactions: Etriers
It sounds like OP has been informed by her SA that in general k25 sellier bags are very hard to come by and she hasn’t met their offer criteria for this specific size and style though not so much about butler leather not currently in production. OP has been a loyal client for over a decade so I don’t see why she cannot be looked after for any of the iconic bags. It would be more about the waiting period and the amount she spends before getting the offer plus her pending SO is probably another contributing factor. It’s always disheartening to be in this sort of vague situation so I hope things do work out eventually for OP.
OK. I scanned the thread and saw someone mentioned butler leather K25. If OP is open to other leathers then I agree she should have been offered one by now.
My suggestion isn't changed, I would go to the reseller route by now.

Reactions: Etriers