Should I take my birkin on the plane or not??

I usually travel with my 32 Kelly in my carry-on bag and wear a bag that can be worn messenger-bag style, leaving my hands free. I made an exception when I flew to London/Paris as I wanted to take two Kellys. So one went in my carry-on and I carried the other. I've not had the experience of having any handbag of mine removed from the carrier. I did take a folded heavy clear plastic bag with me and put my bag in it when I put it under the seat - wanted to protect it from any possible spills.

On the return from Paris, I did put my new Picotin in it's box in my checked luggage. No harm and it would have been covered by various insurance if stolen.

I wouldn't dream of not taking and enjoying my Hermes bags when traveling!

I always travel with my 40cm Birkin as a carry-on bag but I would highly advise putting it in the Longchamp Pliage as a "birkin travel protector" or some other protector bag.

The security at the airports make you put all your carry-on items through the scanner and the conveyor belt is filthy!!!

Yes, I travel with the more workhorse birkins I have. Be prepared tho, that flight attendants will want it to fit either up top or under the seat in front of you.

Trips of all types--interstate to inernational--have taught me to avoid taking expensive stuff with me. This way I'm not targeted in an obvious way, and I don't have to worry about the item(s) when I'd rather focus on other things. I take the normal precautions, but if something were lost, stolen or damaged, I wouldn't go insane.

Last edited:
Hi for travel with H bags, I bought a super light emergency bag from American Apparel (it's only $28 for a colored one and $42 for gold). It comes with its own pouch and is very small when folded. For 30cm, I got a medium emergency bag; there's also the large one which seems to fit much larger bags.

I agree with dressage queen and CindyYZ. I take mine but put it in a Longchamp Pliage as well and carry it with me. Never had a problem. In 2006 I was forced to put my Kelly in my checked baggage due to the terrorist threat in London and no one could take a carry on onto the plane. I had just gotten it and I thought there was no way it would be alright as they would not let us lock our luggage. Happy to say, it made it home safely.

It was the only time I had travelled with extra jewelry as well as we were there for my son's wedding. Well, I certainly wasn't going to put that in my checked baggage, so.....I wore every single piece. It was quite a sight.

What a story, tnw!

I was once traveling through Frankfurt in Germany and a security person at the x-rays realized I had a birkin..She was so kind to take a clear plastic bag out from some were and place it under my bag... That was when I realized that I'd better bring a cover for it next time!

My system is similar to other ladies in that I place my bag into a tote and carry it on that way. However, in light of the recent reports on tPF about thefts of Hermes bags in tourist hot spots, I would not travel with a high profile bag if taking a trip like that.

My system is similar to other ladies in that I place my bag into a tote and carry it on that way. However, in light of the recent reports on tPF about thefts of Hermes bags in tourist hot spots, I would not travel with a high profile bag if taking a trip like that.

I agree with gracekelly - I'm getting a little paranoid at carrying my Birkin overseas now in light of all these theft reports. I'd still carry an H bag, but a much more low key and unrecognizable one. Most probably not a Birkin.

These bags are to be enjoyed so take it with you. I fly with mine but always as hand luggage.
I always always take either the dust cover or a longchamp bag to put it in as several times at different airports they have lifted my bag out of the tray at security and onto the conveyor belt. It came out the other end with grease stains on the dust cover but luckily it hadn't gone through to the bag.

I always leave the bag in the cover when on the plane as well, better to be safe than sorry. Enjoy your travels with your bag

I took my Birkin with me on my last trip to NY and TBH I doubt I would do it again. Flying out I went economy which meant my Birkin had to be under the seat in front in my Pliage but I kept putting my feet on the handles which bothered me and I was worried the person in front might drop a drink.

On the way back I was flying premium economy and there was no room under the seat in front so it had to go into the overhead bin. It was of course in the Pliage again but I was so stressed about people squashing my bag or putting another bag on top I barely slept on the plane back.

I love my Birkin and couldn't bear the idea of anything happening to it and flying with it stressed me out so much I couldn't face it again.