Should I take my birkin on the plane or not??

My system is similar to other ladies in that I place my bag into a tote and carry it on that way. However, in light of the recent reports on tPF about thefts of Hermes bags in tourist hot spots, I would not travel with a high profile bag if taking a trip like that.
I put my H bag into a burlap tote that advertises a fabric store on the front. Talk about mixed messages! (Only kidding. I sew a lot of designer fabric. :smile:)

I bought a foldable bag from Tumi which fits the birkin comfortably and has a zip top. It can be folded up when not in use. Picked it up at the outlet store so it was only $80

Never check in your Hermes bag! Glad I listened to my DH's advice last time we flew, customs opened up my check in luggage (where I placed the H box in) and they examined the contents, some things were misplaced and although nothing was missing I'm still thankful I carried my B with me. I usually bring a large duffel bag to put it in during security checks...

I checked my Toolbox once and TSA opened my bag and went through it. When I arrived at my destination, dustbag was rolled up INSIDE the bag and they had shoved the bag from the top down. It looked like an accordion. I was mad at myself for being soooo stupid and them for being disrespectful of my property.

I had the same thoughts as you! But the desire to have my Birkin with me was stronger than the fear, so I brought it on a 2-hour flight first, and later "upgraded" for 7-8 hour flights. At first, I used a Longchamp XXL pliage bag, where I put my Birkin. It was well protected during security checks and on board, under the seat. Once there was a very rude flight attendant who asked me to put it in the overhead compartment. And I was very lucky to have my Longchamp to protect it! My advice would be to avoid traveling with a "naked" Birkin ;)
Then, I have advanced my experience. I bought a carry-on for 50 euros, which is wide enough to hold a Birkin, and sturdy enough to keep its shape during travel. I usually put my Chanel WOC inside my Jumbo, which I put inside my 35B, inside this carry-on. It works fine. I also put a lock on this carry-on, so no one really can see what's inside without my consent. HTH

I even have a picture of my B in an airplane [emoji6]IMG_1476630927.849218.jpgIMG_1476630943.183715.jpg

I never ever checkin anything expensive/precious as a birkin or kelly bags or my Hermes shawls, jewellery etc. I always bring them in my cabin bags. I only leave things I can afford to lose in hold luggage.
Spot on advice for any traveler!! Take reasonable precautions with your Birkin and it will remain safe. I always use a Birkin when I fly. It holds LOADS of things one could need on a plane, especially if you're travelling with a six-year-old, as I often do. I put it under the seat in front of me for take-off and landing. Beyond that, it sits at my feet during flight. Walking thru airports is easy as it rests on my carry-on luggage that I roll. Never had any issues but I must disclose that I only travel with my workhorse Birkins (clemence or togo, never exotics) and I do not treat them gently. I bought them to use and boy do they get used! The 3 or 4 that I rotate for travel are aging beautifully! They have character and they look loved!
In the end, if you're that concerned about handbag security/cleanliness during travel, don't take it. Travelling should be fun.

I use envirosax to cover my H bags in the plane and when passing through customs. But for thicker protection, I would go for longchamp. I like the envirosax as it can be carried on my shoulder.

I've had not one but two friends who had their bags stolen in the checked in luggage, and they're not even H bags. So I would not risk it!

I live on airplanes so I can't imagine not taking my Birkin or any other H bag with me - they would be useless in my life!
I never check luggage - if the trip is longer than around 2 weeks, covers multiple seasons, or I have my dog flying with me I will ship a second bag, which I can then insure (the shipping services don't usually cover jewelry, so never pack that).
If I ever checked luggage I would never put anything of great value inside it. It is far too likely to disappear. Always check to see if your homeowner or renter insurance covers your items when you travel, as one disappearing bag, even just clothes, can represent quite an investment. Items worth over a certain amount will not be covered.
If I take a Birkin, I use a Longchamp or similar like many here. For a smaller bag I may put it inside my GP. I have to have a laptop on a plane, so whatever is carrying the laptop is also carrying a purse.

Spot on advice for any traveler!! Take reasonable precautions with your Birkin and it will remain safe. I always use a Birkin when I fly. It holds LOADS of things one could need on a plane, especially if you're travelling with a six-year-old, as I often do. I put it under the seat in front of me for take-off and landing. Beyond that, it sits at my feet during flight. Walking thru airports is easy as it rests on my carry-on luggage that I roll. Never had any issues but I must disclose that I only travel with my workhorse Birkins (clemence or togo, never exotics) and I do not treat them gently. I bought them to use and boy do they get used! The 3 or 4 that I rotate for travel are aging beautifully! They have character and they look loved!
In the end, if you're that concerned about handbag security/cleanliness during travel, don't take it. Travelling should be fun.

Yes. :smile: Lol! I'm stressed just hearing about all of the angst of flying with a B, I can't even imagine living it. For me, the fussing, worry, and bags in bags would not only detract from the ease and enjoyment of what is supposed to be a vacation, but also the feeling of gracefulness of traveling well.

I definitely do travel with my bags, however I don't bother fussing about with multiple players of protection for them, I just take them as is.

Bumps and scratches don't bother me, travel is a major reason I decide to buy Hermès bags. They are quite resilient to begin with, so I don't mind. I don't think I would buy Hermès bags if I were hesitant to travel with them, but as a very frequent flyer, travel is an important aspect of my lifestyle. Travelling up front most of the time, I do realise there is more overhead space to work with, and less wandering legs from neighbours to worry about, so YMMV.

Reactions: phi-nix