should i bite the bullet and buy a classic flap?

Lovejj

O.G.
Aug 2, 2012
hi everyone,

this would be my 1st chanel. the most iv ever spent on a bag is £1500. i will be spending more then double on the jumbo. im not a collector i only let myself have 2 nice bags at a time. iv been eye-ing the classic flap for nearly a year.. and i feel like there are no nice alternatives (i already have a medium mulberry lily) but am i crazy for spending so much? is it really an investment? im not well off by any stretch of the imagination! my clothes are all highstreet (h&m topshop etc) would the bag stick out like a sore thumb against my 'normal' clothes?

Welcome to the dark side

When I bought my first Chanel m/l, I felt I was crazy to spend that much on a bag! So you are not alone!

Sounds like your heart has set on it so go for it!

I don't wear designer clothes and I think many TPFers here will agree with you that Chanel can go well with high street brand clothes!

Look forward to your reveal

I recommend a classic jumbo if you have set aside funds already - if you like mulberrys lily then this is probably a good bet as unlike lily this bag also can go crossbody - don't worry about chain length as one side can be adjusted by clipping a few links together should you want to shorten it - try Paris for a good price if visiting at all?

If you've saved up and you've planned to get it, I'd get it before the next price increase. If it's going to stress you out a lot and you'll then not have enough money then I definitely wouldn't get it. It's not worth your peace of mind! I think it'll absolutely go with high street brands. I love to see it when people mix inexpensive and trendy with classic, it shows a person's special style!

I know just how you feel, I've been coveting them for ages. I had a medium Lily and sold it, Mulberry just don’t cut the mustard for me any more. I would end up buying several colours of the same bag and now think I’d be far better off just having one variation in a Chanel.

I’ve been well and truly bitten by the Chanel bug

Go for it, I’m sure you won’t regret it…………………………looking forward to seeing what you buy

Go for it! I think it looks super nice to mix high street and luxury brands. It gives the outfit an extra edge. That's the beauty with a classic flap, it can be worn with (almost) anything.
But I have to be honest once you get one and fall in love with it, you'll be bitten by the chanel bug haha..

After I got my classic flap I don't want to have any other bag, I just want more chanel bags in different sizes and colors.

hi everyone,

this would be my 1st chanel. the most iv ever spent on a bag is £1500. i will be spending more then double on the jumbo. im not a collector i only let myself have 2 nice bags at a time. iv been eye-ing the classic flap for nearly a year.. and i feel like there are no nice alternatives (i already have a medium mulberry lily) but am i crazy for spending so much? is it really an investment? im not well off by any stretch of the imagination! my clothes are all highstreet (h&m topshop etc) would the bag stick out like a sore thumb against my 'normal' clothes?

I actually PREFER seeing Chanels paired with non designer clothes. To me it looks less try too hard and the clothes balance out the Chanel and vice versa.

I thought about owning a Chanel for over 10 years. Actually well longer than that. Other bags came and went but I always wanted one but it was always just too expensive to want to bite the bullet. The prices unfortunately keep rising for them so they'll always be a 'bite the bullet' purchase. They still are for me and many of us. However finally as of this year I now have classics and have to say that I've not regretted taking the plunge. I had wanted one for so many years and the love never died. I wear them almost daily with everything from ripped jeans, dresses to thrift/second hand or vintage clothes: day or night. I find they go with absolutely everything (my wardrobe is a mix of vintage/second hand/high street) and they are worth that plunge. I don't find that they stick out like a sore thumb although sometimes I feel like that about the jumbo (the larger size) but I make sure to pair with the exact opposite so super casual dressed down clothes if that makes sense.

I've been considering a chanel, also.
For me, it will come down to comfort--does it fit my life & feel good to wear?

Being terrified to use a bag, or fearing every drop of rain & dog nose which happened along, wouldn't be comfortable . If you'd feel that way, maybe not a good choice.

But, chanels seem pretty hardy, especially caviar.
And tpf ladies enjoy using theirs in all manner of outfits & situations.
So, this has encouraged me to keep an open mind & to explore options.

Will look forward to learning your decision!

Chanel goes with everything and just saw this from IG and want to share with my fellow TPFers.

If everyone is getting their inspiration from Chanel flaps, this explains the originals worth more.

Pix borrowed from IGImageUploadedByPurseForum1412789780.956273.jpg

If you have the funds saved and can part with them without going into debt or feeling too guilty - go for it NOW. As others have noted, you will not be satisfied with other brands and other purchases until this scratch has been itched. Also, the most important thing is to get one before the price increases yet again. If you had purchased years ago when you first considered, you probably could have saved yourself thousands of dollars. I have several classic flaps (purchased between 2008-2010) and love each of them. I don't think you will regret the purchase and will probably buy more later! Best of luck with your decision and please let us know what you decide.

You are not alone. I thought I was crazy when I purchased my first Chanel Classic Lambskin flap in Medium few years ago. It's timeless and classic. You can use it all year around. I will recommend you to get caviar if you don't want to baby your bag.