should i bite the bullet and buy a classic flap?

My personal favourite is the medium classic in Lambskin. It s the the most gorgeous bag and super versatile. Are you in the uk? Let us know how easy it is to find one.

I actually PREFER seeing Chanels paired with non designer clothes. To me it looks less try too hard and the clothes balance out the Chanel and vice versa.

I thought about owning a Chanel for over 10 years. Actually well longer than that. Other bags came and went but I always wanted one but it was always just too expensive to want to bite the bullet. The prices unfortunately keep rising for them so they'll always be a 'bite the bullet' purchase. They still are for me and many of us. However finally as of this year I now have classics and have to say that I've not regretted taking the plunge. I had wanted one for so many years and the love never died. I wear them almost daily with everything from ripped jeans, dresses to thrift/second hand or vintage clothes: day or night. I find they go with absolutely everything (my wardrobe is a mix of vintage/second hand/high street) and they are worth that plunge. I don't find that they stick out like a sore thumb although sometimes I feel like that about the jumbo (the larger size) but I make sure to pair with the exact opposite so super casual dressed down clothes if that makes sense.

+1. I love pairing my classic flaps with casual clothing. I thought it was absurd to spend this much on a bag, but I have never looked back. I too was buying different variations of less expensive brands and it all adds up. I have mostly lambskin jumbos. I have not had any issues with my lambskin and I have two toddlers. My lambskin almost looks better than the day I bought it. I think you should. You will not regret it. I promise! Just make sure you research the size and hardware that suits YOU most. Keep us posted!!

Welcome to the dark side

When I bought my first Chanel m/l, I felt I was crazy to spend that much on a bag! So you are not alone!

Sounds like your heart has set on it so go for it!

I don't wear designer clothes and I think many TPFers here will agree with you that Chanel can go well with high street brand clothes!

Look forward to your reveal
Lol!!!! :lolots::lolots: yes welcome! I agree with Calflu, get now before it's even more (you will be kicking yourself later) and can make any outfit, even if Target brand, look chic!

Yes, absolutely :yes: nothing else will satisfy you when you desire an iconic piece such as the Chanel classic flap, so I think it's fair to say you WILL get it eventually. The only unknown is how much will you have to pay for it when the time comes? The price increases really make it ideal to get it sooner rather than later (assuming of course that you can afford it in the first place - I'm not suggesting 2nd-mortgaging your house for Chanel :P :biggrin: :cray: but the fact is, it will only get more expensive).

As others say, I too find my classics to be the most versatile bags in my collection - it is honestly surprising how easy they are to wear with virtually anything :tup:

ladysarah is right, lambskin is divine - let us know what you decide.

I resisted Chanel for years. I mean years, as I'm 50+. I talked myself out of the classic flap more times than I can count. Finally, I took the plunge a month ago when I was in France and I'm so glad I did. It's a beautiful bag and goes with everything, dressed up or down. I can't seem to move out of it into anything else. :loveeyes:

I'd just pay very careful attention to size. Really think about what you want to carry in it, especially if you plan on it being an everyday bag. The m/l fits more than I thought, but required me to down size a bit and to stop carrying around stuff that was rarely used.

Go for it! I think it looks super nice to mix high street and luxury brands. It gives the outfit an extra edge. That's the beauty with a classic flap, it can be worn with (almost) anything.
But I have to be honest once you get one and fall in love with it, you'll be bitten by the chanel bug haha..

After I got my classic flap I don't want to have any other bag, I just want more chanel bags in different sizes and colors.

Agree with both of these comments. I don't wear High End fashion - but what suits me and I think the bag elevates any outfit anyway.
And yes, I really only like Chanel now too :cool:

My personal favourite is the medium classic in Lambskin. It s the the most gorgeous bag and super versatile. Are you in the uk? Let us know how easy it is to find one.

yes !!!
Agreed !!!!
I was so frightened to get a Lambskin but TPF showed me how easy they are to live with and massage any imperfections out - I adore this bag.
Lighter in weight too than Caviar.

As other tPFers suggested, I'd get it before the price increase. In several years, it might be double the price. But I wouldn't rush either, if you have a chance, try the jumbo in boutique or department store, see how you like it, put your things in it. Don't feel pressured by SA to make a decision. Keep us updated:smile:

As other tPFers suggested, I'd get it before the price increase. In several years, it might be double the price. But I wouldn't rush either, if you have a chance, try the jumbo in boutique or department store, see how you like it, put your things in it. Don't feel pressured by SA to make a decision. Keep us updated:smile:

I agree about putting your things in it. Try on with and without jackets too if possible.

I've noticed many hear debate between the med/large and the jumbo. The two most popular sizes so def try both on.

I resisted Chanel for years. I mean years, as I'm 50+. I talked myself out of the classic flap more times than I can count. Finally, I took the plunge a month ago when I was in France and I'm so glad I did. It's a beautiful bag and goes with everything, dressed up or down. I can't seem to move out of it into anything else. :love eyes:

I'd just pay very careful attention to size. Really think about what you want to carry in it, especially if you plan on it being an everyday bag. The m/l fits more than I thought, but required me to down size a bit and to stop carrying around stuff that was rarely used.

50 years young my dear ;) :biggrin:

I agree, the limits on what you can fit in the M/L make me more efficient - I can't take the whole house with me, so I have to be more ladylike and refined :P

I resisted Chanel for years. I mean years, as I'm 50+. I talked myself out of the classic flap more times than I can count. Finally, I took the plunge a month ago when I was in France and I'm so glad I did. It's a beautiful bag and goes with everything, dressed up or down. I can't seem to move out of it into anything else. :loveeyes:

The main problem I find with carrying a flap is that they can never take sunglasses as they are mostly too narrow. But I still carry my CHANEL classic and keep the sunglasses on my head....;)

Chanel goes with everything and just saw this from IG and want to share with my fellow TPFers.

If everyone is getting their inspiration from Chanel flaps, this explains the originals worth more.

Pix borrowed from IGView attachment 2773365
This is quite interesting, thanks for sharing Calflu. :smile:

My attempt to address OP's questions:

am i crazy for spending so much? If you really like the bag, the answer is 'no'. You are not crazy, but keep in mind that you are on a slippery slope ..:smile:

is it really an investment? Many will disagree with me, but my answer is again 'no'. I recently consigned one of my Chanel bags and received about 1/3 of its original price. You should buy the bag because it makes you happy.

im not well off by any stretch of the imagination! my clothes are all highstreet (h&m topshop etc) would the bag stick out like a sore thumb against my 'normal' clothes? A big advantage of Chanel bags is that they look good with almost everything. Don't worry with that.