Shorts with Tights --- yay or nay?

I actually love this look. Not that I could pull it off, but NO not with denim shorts. ever.
This needs to be with a heavy weight fabric like wool or some such... it's such a UK thing!! And you need long slim legs to be able to do it...

I've always done this...and mostly for work too, in the fall and winter. With mainly black, opaque tights, sometimes patterned black ones (nicely patterned and a little sheer) - wish I could post a pic... I agree with not pairing the tights with denim. My shorts were/are always dressy or business-casual and worn with boots, booties, heels, wedges, and flats. I just love this look. I don't see a problem especially if you can pull it off. The only thing people ever questioned me was whether my legs were cold, but I would tell them that dress pants aren't always made with thick material, so, it doesn't matter.

This look is so common here (Spain and Italy) that I honestly did not suspect that it could be a No for many ladies. We often team it with thicker fabric like wool and also with interesting texture like twead, leather. I had great fun wearing this look last year and can't wait for cooler days to arrive. Also, older women wear this look here, often with statement jewelry and accessories. I do agree that it is possible to look very young when not done right.

I like the winter version (warm tweed / leather shorts with opaque tights). I don't wear it though, I prefer skirts :smile: And I also like denim shorts with black polka dot / tiny heart pattern tights, I've seen a lot of cute combinations on bloggers :yes: But I think it's mostly suitable for young girls and casual looks, not for mature women.

I like it with the winter woolen type shorts and not too short with sweaters or dolman sleeve tees.

I feel it's a little too edgy for where I live tho. Camo and pjs are common here. 🙈

I can see shorts with tights as a winter look, like with wool and play on texture, but it is done wrong so many times. Don't think I've seen it done correctly in real life yet.

Maybe it's the Californian in me, but I equate shorts with weather warm enough to wear bare legs. If one needs tights, why not wear a skirt or dress? It seems to be more acceptable in Europe, and I've seen a few women wear them in Chicago, but I'm not a fan of the look at all for any age.

I agree - I live in Sunny Queensland Australia and the only people that wear this look here are the tourist from Asia - they look cute as they are petite and can pull it off, but local Australian girls - it looks absurd.