Shorts with Tights --- yay or nay?

Personally I am a fan of this look if the texture/weight/color of the shorts is seasonally appropriate. (Agree with everyone who says no denim shorts!) I was actually going to wear this combo to Thanksgiving dinner. I picked up a pair of these DVF sequin shorts in a dark purple/plummy color, and I think I might go with a slouchy black turtleneck sweater and suede ankle boots. Still deciding. But I think it can look very chic if done correctly!

Attachments

• dvf shorts.jpeg
    dvf shorts.jpeg
    33.1 KB · Views: 265
I absolutely can't stand this look! If it's too cold for shorts, or if you don't want to show your bare legs, wear a skirt with tights or trousers! Shorts and tights are so wrong to me!

This look is so common here (Spain and Italy) that I honestly did not suspect that it could be a No for many ladies. We often team it with thicker fabric like wool and also with interesting texture like twead, leather. I had great fun wearing this look last year and can't wait for cooler days to arrive. Also, older women wear this look here, often with statement jewelry and accessories. I do agree that it is possible to look very young when not done right.
What would you say the length of the shorts are that the older women wear and when you say "older" can you tell me approx what age you are talking about?
I love this look if done properly and worn during the fall and winter months.

What would you say the length of the shorts are that the older women wear and when you say "older" can you tell me approx what age you are talking about?

I love this look if done properly and worn during the fall and winter months.

Hi Trulyadiva! The women here who carry out this look well wear shorts that reach almost mid thigh. By older women, I am referring to women in their 50s and beyond. I sincerely hope I do not offend anyone. Just early this week, I saw one such lady in black wool shorts, tweed blazer and she was rocking a pair of tall quilted boots. I am guessing she was already in her 60s. I thought she looked appropriate, elegant and dare I say, adorable! :smile:)

Give this try a go!:smile: there is a pair of longish tweed shorts in ZARA as I type...;)

Hi Trulyadiva! The women here who carry out this look well wear shorts that reach almost mid thigh. By older women, I am referring to women in their 50s and beyond. I sincerely hope I do not offend anyone. Just early this week, I saw one such lady in black wool shorts, tweed blazer and she was rocking a pair of tall quilted boots. I am guessing she was already in her 60s. I thought she looked appropriate, elegant and dare I say, adorable! :smile:)

Give this try a go!:smile: there is a pair of longish tweed shorts in ZARA as I type...;)
Thank you, I'll take a look at Zara.:smile:

It's one of my signature look....leather shorts or winter fabric...I prefer the shorts that look like skirt...skort I think they're called.
I am not young anymore but I think I can pull them off.

It's one of my signature look....leather shorts or winter fabric...I prefer the shorts that look like skirt...skort I think they're called.
I am not young anymore but I think I can pull them off.
I prefer wool/tweed for the winter months although something with a little bit of leather is fine for me too, all leather, not so much and that's just for me.