Scarves Scarves storage/display and care

I had a file box of variously sized orange boxes, on the off chance that I wanted to sell something. I finally made the bf take the whole thing to the recycling bin. "Don't even open it, just put the whole thing in so no one is tempted to scavenge it..."

Thank you for saying that …
I have been too chicken to do that and you have empowered me
It is ridiculous … I do fiddle With the boxes at times, and am overjoyed to notice tears and cracks because I then get to toss them, it is liberating to ditch one of the silly things, IT IS A BOX
Agghhh the boxes!! Thanks for the inspiration and rational talk! I don’t even go dig out a box when I sell a scarf because it’s too much of a hassle and it costs more to ship due to larger size :-/. As it is to insure my folded up scarf, in a mail pouch, it’s usually $20 ish. So mine sit in a dormer crawl-in storage space behind my closet. The next owner can find them unless I get so inspired to toss them.

I'm glad to be encouraging you guys to free yourself from the tyranny of the orange box!

Back on topic:

As my scarves started accumulating, I started using the envelopes as described in the very first post of this thread. I know that I do miss running my hands over the silks, but from an organizational viewpoint it's great.

As my scarves started getting out of control, I thought about buying a large box for the envelopes, but my bf offered to build me one for my birthday. So he did, and here it is! He is a very utilitarian guy, so it's a very utilitarian box, but that's exactly what I need! It is left as plain wood right now as I'm totally indecisive about paint or stain, so don't entirely blame the bf for its very plain look. :P

scarves-box.JPG

These are my silk 90s, 70s, and 45s, plus a few from other designers, plus my C/S 140s. The one remaining box ;) is for Cavalcadour Clair de Lune, which I don't want to crease at all.

I don't label the envelopes, mostly out of laziness. They're organized by format and then alphabetically by name. By color would be neat, but that requires some deep analysis that I then have to remember, and where do I put something with ALL the colors like Into the Canadian Wild?

The full closet (yes this is almost all my everyday clothing - fancier clothes are elsewhere, sweaters are above but a mess right now):

scarves-closet.JPG

Men's 100s are in the H box on the right, scarf rings/magnets/etc. are in the small top drawer, and mousselines/pareos/twillies are in the drawer just below it. So I still get to run my fingers over my moussies!

wow that
I'm glad to be encouraging you guys to free yourself from the tyranny of the orange box!

Back on topic:

As my scarves started accumulating, I started using the envelopes as described in the very first post of this thread. I know that I do miss running my hands over the silks, but from an organizational viewpoint it's great.

As my scarves started getting out of control, I thought about buying a large box for the envelopes, but my bf offered to build me one for my birthday. So he did, and here it is! He is a very utilitarian guy, so it's a very utilitarian box, but that's exactly what I need! It is left as plain wood right now as I'm totally indecisive about paint or stain, so don't entirely blame the bf for its very plain look. :P

View attachment 5655262

These are my silk 90s, 70s, and 45s, plus a few from other designers, plus my C/S 140s. The one remaining box ;) is for Cavalcadour Clair de Lune, which I don't want to crease at all.

I don't label the envelopes, mostly out of laziness. They're organized by format and then alphabetically by name. By color would be neat, but that requires some deep analysis that I then have to remember, and where do I put something with ALL the colors like Into the Canadian Wild?

The full closet (yes this is almost all my everyday clothing - fancier clothes are elsewhere, sweaters are above but a mess right now):

View attachment 5655263

Men's 100s are in the H box on the right, scarf rings/magnets/etc. are in the small top drawer, and mousselines/pareos/twillies are in the drawer just below it. So I still get to run my fingers over my moussies!
That's awesome! Where do you get the envelopes?

wow that

That's awesome! Where do you get the envelopes?

Thanks! The links at https://forum.purseblog.com/threads/scarves-storage-display-and-care.1047510/#post-1748882 are dead, but https://www.hollingermetaledge.com/windowed-side-opening-envelopes/ and https://www.hollingermetaledge.com/stiffener-boards-for-paper-polyester-envelopes/ will get you to the right place. Specifically SKUs SES91S and EB81 are what I use. You can tell from the pic below that you could go smaller for a tidier look, but I like having the extra room.

(I do not have a great memory, despite my wealth of random trivia. I love Evernote to an uncomfortable degree.)

I end up folding the 90s in 1/4 into a long rectangle, then into 3rds into a short rectangle, then folding it over the stiffener board however works to show the scarf through the envelope window. Et voila!

scarves-envelope.JPG

Bonus moussie drawer shot! The purple scarf and almost all behind it are non-H scarves. I lined the plastic drawer with paper from H boxes, which, uh, clearly needs replacing. I'm confident I can come up with more...

scarves-moussies.JPG

Back on topic:

View attachment 5655262

View attachment 5655263

I am in awe. I do not think I would have the patience to nicely fold them like that after every wear.

But also… I went to check out the envelopes and realize the number I would need would buy me a Kelly… back to folding them in drawers for me…

I am in awe. I do not think I would have the patience to nicely fold them like that after every wear.

But also… I went to check out the envelopes and realize the number I would need would buy me a Kelly… back to folding them in drawers for me…
I too have envelopes and it takes an annoyingly long while to fold the hs and get into envelope
i dont label envelope with scarf name, bc then I would have to match the hs and it’s special envelope to put up, not just randomly use an envelope, even more time

I too have envelopes and it takes an annoyingly long while to fold the hs and get into envelope
i dont label envelope with scarf name, bc then I would have to match the hs and it’s special envelope to put up, not just randomly use an envelope, even more time

I can see the value of the system. It looks neat. I just can’t imagine paying the amount of would need for all the envelopes. Maybe if I had started earlier in my collecting :smile:

Ha! Here is where I admit that I toss the envelopes and scarves into the sweater cubby after wearing, and re-fold them once a week or when the disorder gets to me too much. Doing several at a time and re-filing takes just a few minutes.

And yes, the folders are expensive. I've dropped at least a couple of scarves' cost on them, but it works for my current needs/storage. A Kelly's cost? I want to see more of your collection! :loveeyes::flowers:

• Haha
Reactions: QueenieQ and Nomad
@Notorious Pink - I saw you post this on IG. Sadly Ikea does not sell this dresser anymore. It would fit perfectly in my space. Searched online for something similar but have yet to find. I moved my scarves into my Elfa drawer unit in a closet and moved socks and underwear to shopping bags for now! Lol! At least now I can find them and am wearing them so much more than when they were stacked in orange boxes.

IMG_0023.jpg

@Notorious Pink - I saw you post this on IG. Sadly Ikea does not sell this dresser anymore. It would fit perfectly in my space. Searched online for something similar but have yet to find. I moved my scarves into my Elfa drawer unit in a closet and moved socks and underwear to shopping bags for now! Lol! At least now I can find them and am wearing them so much more than when they were stacked in orange boxes.

View attachment 5659352
Thats great you are wearing them more due to the change!

• Love
Reactions: balthus
Hi everyone,

I have a general question regarding storing H scarves in plastic. Is it ok to do so? I've seen some photos of TPFers who have stored their H scarves in plastic bags/envelopes, etc. in this thread and they look great, but, I was wondering if for the long term this is ok or will it affect the silk/cashmere?

Do these materials need to "breathe" so long term storage this way wouldn't be advisable?

P.s. Sorry if this has been addressed before, I just didn't want to go through 49 pages of this thread to find the answer.