Scarves Scarves storage/display and care

Hi everyone,

I have a general question regarding storing H scarves in plastic. Is it ok to do so? I've seen some photos of TPFers who have stored their H scarves in plastic bags/envelopes, etc. in this thread and they look great, but, I was wondering if for the long term this is ok or will it affect the silk/cashmere?

Do these materials need to "breathe" so long term storage this way wouldn't be advisable?

P.s. Sorry if this has been addressed before, I just didn't want to go through 49 pages of this thread to find the answer.
I don't know as I just recently put all of mine in ziploc bags and look forward to answers but I was hardly ever wearing my scarves when they were stored in their boxes except for a handful of cashmeres that I wear almost year-round that were unboxed. I imagine I could unzip the bags so more air could get in them and now that I am wearing more I leave them out overnight to air out before putting back in the bag.

I don't know as I just recently put all of mine in ziploc bags and look forward to answers but I was hardly ever wearing my scarves when they were stored in their boxes except for a handful of cashmeres that I wear almost year-round that were unboxed. I imagine I could unzip the bags so more air could get in them and now that I am wearing more I leave them out overnight to air out before putting back in the bag.
Yes airing after wearing is highly recommended.

Hi everyone,

I have a general question regarding storing H scarves in plastic. Is it ok to do so? I've seen some photos of TPFers who have stored their H scarves in plastic bags/envelopes, etc. in this thread and they look great, but, I was wondering if for the long term this is ok or will it affect the silk/cashmere?

Do these materials need to "breathe" so long term storage this way wouldn't be advisable?

P.s. Sorry if this has been addressed before, I just didn't want to go through 49 pages of this thread to find the answer.

I can see two potential issues: That touching the plastic could be bad for the scarf, and that they can't breathe. I don't know if either is a real issue, but both can be mitigated.

For my scarves in envelopes, the envelopes are theoretically archival-quality, so the plastic that touches the scarf should be ok, and the rest of the envelope is paper, then they're in a wooden box, so they should breathe ok.

For my mousselines in a plastic drawer, I line the drawers in paper from the scarf boxes, and the drawer has lots of airflow, so again they should be protected from both concerns.

For scarves sealed into plastic, my concern would be moisture causing mold, so maybe drop a dessicant packet into each, and check them regularly.

Reactions: _Moravia_
@Notorious Pink - I saw you post this on IG. Sadly Ikea does not sell this dresser anymore. It would fit perfectly in my space. Searched online for something similar but have yet to find. I moved my scarves into my Elfa drawer unit in a closet and moved socks and underwear to shopping bags for now! Lol! At least now I can find them and am wearing them so much more than when they were stacked in orange boxes.

View attachment 5659352
If you are looking for something similar, have you seen the Alex from Ikea? They have several different heights. I bought the tallest one some time ago and put my silks in the top drawers and cashmeres in the larger bottom drawers.

If you are looking for something similar, have you seen the Alex from Ikea? They have several different heights. I bought the tallest one some time ago and put my silks in the top drawers and cashmeres in the larger bottom drawers.

Did you secure it to a wall (recommended on ikea website) or leave freestanding. We had some Ikea bookcases collapse and cause chaos so worry about weight although doubt anything heavy would be in this, Thanks.

Did you secure it to a wall (recommended on ikea website) or leave freestanding. We had some Ikea bookcases collapse and cause chaos so worry about weight although doubt anything heavy would be in this, Thanks.
I didn't secure it, but they do include the tools that you would need to do so if you prefer to secure it. I don't see any way that this could possibly collapse without being pushed over (which isn't an issue in my house where this is located).

Reactions: balthus
I'm surprised to see that your scarf cabinet is in your bathroom. I would think the humid environment is not good, but maybe I am wrong. They all look in perfect condition. What a great collection!
It’s a very large space and we have very good ventilation, it doesn’t get humid. (I know this because I‘ve had plug-in dehumidifying packets that never needed replugging). Actually more than anything, it gets a little dry in there.

It never ceases to amaze me how clueless the DH’s can be sometimes; ‘are there scarves in all of those boxes?’ Ummm, yeah 🙄

Yes- that is another thing we "do not speak of". :lol:

Hopefully not too OT because it does relate to how to "care for scarves," but I've been thinking I need to come up with a system other than stacking my scarves in their orange boxes across the top of a bureau in our bedroom...my DH has a quite tangible visual of the expanding box count!

Hopefully not too OT because it does relate to how to "care for scarves," but I've been thinking I need to come up with a system other than stacking my scarves in their orange boxes across the top of a bureau in our bedroom...my DH has a quite tangible visual of the expanding box count!
I emptied all my 90cm and 45cm silk scarves out of boxes and put them in a drawer and stored the boxes elsewhere. I have a dresser with 3 big drawers and I went ahead and dedicated 2 of them to scarves. One holds cashmere (in boxes because the thought of moths makes me :panic: ) and there’s no more room for those right now so I am at a stalemate on cashmere. The moussies live in a different cabinet.

I have a small closet dedicated to my scarves, with a moth protective product that doesn't smell much. I don't bother using lavender or other less lethal products, I had a moth disaster last year in my sweater closet, and now it is WAR!
I use large rectangular wicker baskets lined in cotton. Two of them are for twills/pochettes, two for CSGM, one for moussies, a couple more for various formats. I roll every scarf/shawl Marie Kondo style after use, it makes it easy to see many of them at once and you can fit lots in a small space. I put plisses in 4" diameter cylindrical plastic containers with lids, they stay perfectly rolled that way, it really extends the life of the pleats.

I have a small closet dedicated to my scarves, with a moth protective product that doesn't smell much. I don't bother using lavender or other less lethal products, I had a moth disaster last year in my sweater closet, and now it is WAR!
I use large rectangular wicker baskets lined in cotton. Two of them are for twills/pochettes, two for CSGM, one for moussies, a couple more for various formats. I roll every scarf/shawl Marie Kondo style after use, it makes it easy to see many of them at once and you can fit lots in a small space. I put plisses in 4" diameter cylindrical plastic containers with lids, they stay perfectly rolled that way, it really extends the life of the pleats.
Oh boy sorry…our biggest nightmare is war with moths. Knock on wood nothing here. Silver fish is a problem too. What do you use in closet? I keep cedar blocks in my closet and hanging or laying around my bedroom discreetly.

Reactions: frenchgirl
Oh boy sorry…our biggest nightmare is war with moths. Knock on wood nothing here. Silver fish is a problem too. What do you use in closet? I keep cedar blocks in my closet and hanging or laying around my bedroom discreetly.
I used moth traps with pheromones to catch the buggers when the sweater disaster happened, they work really well but only at catching the males. The product I now use in my closets is Reefer-Galler no-moth closet hanger, a metal box with a cake of the chemical in it. I hesitated a lot because it is a chemical, but losing half my sweater collection before I realized what was going on pushed me to the dark side....