Scarves Scarf newbie help

Hello! I am new here (first post!) I bought my first (non-Hermes) silk scarf earlier this year at Fortnum & Mason, and I've become absolutely obsessed with silk scarves as an accessory. I've since bought 3 vintage (again non-Hermes) silk scarves via Etsy. I've done a lot of research and I'm ready to buy a new Hermes 90cm Carre from the current collection. I have a list of about 9 scarves I'd like to see in person. I'm particularly interested in the Costume de Fete (vermillion). I live in NC and my two options for in-person Hermes shopping are DC (travel for work) or London (travel to see my daughter). I'm quite intimidated by the in-person Hermes shopping experience. I'm afraid of going and being ignored or getting lackluster service since I'm only interested in buying one item. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions. Should I make an appointment or is that really only for people looking for handbags?

Last edited:
Reactions: BlueLilac
Hello! I am new here (first post!) I bought my first (non-Hermes) silk scarf earlier this year at Fortnum & Mason, and I've become absolutely obsessed with silk scarves as an accessory. I've since bought 3 vintage (again non-Hermes) silk scarves via Etsy. I've done a lot of research and I'm ready to buy a new Hermes 90cm Carre from the current collection. I have a list of about 9 scarves I'd like to see in person. I'm particularly interested in the Costume de Fete (vermillion). I live in NC and my two options for in-person Hermes shopping are DC (travel for work) or London (travel to see my daughter). I'm quite intimidated by the in-person Hermes shopping experience. I'm afraid of going and being ignored or getting lackluster service since I'm only interested in buying one item. I was wondering if anyone has any tips or suggestions. Should I make an appointment or is that really only for people looking for handbags?
Just order a couple of scarves you like online, thus you can see them in peace at home without sales pressure or intimidation, and you have time to think without having to make a decision at the store on the spot. You can return anything through the website - just make sure that items are in the same condition as you received them.

Just order a couple of scarves you like online, thus you can see them in peace at home without sales pressure or intimidation, and you have time to think without having to make a decision at the store on the spot. You can return anything through the website - just make sure that items are in the same condition as you received them.
I did wonder about this option. I do the same for clothing so I suppose the same could apply for accessories. Thanks for tip!

Welcome! You will find everyone here is very friendly, I hope you will post a picture of your scarf when you do get one?

Although you can order online, I’d suggest visiting the Royal Exchange boutique when you are next in London; it’s quite small but all the SA’s there are very welcoming and would make your first purchase a fun, memorable experience.

Welcome! You will find everyone here is very friendly, I hope you will post a picture of your scarf when you do get one?

Although you can order online, I’d suggest visiting the Royal Exchange boutique when you are next in London; it’s quite small but all the SA’s there are very welcoming and would make your first purchase a fun, memorable experience.
Thank you so much. There is a bit of me wanting to have an in-person experience. I'll probably just go for it and try to leave any expectations at the door! I'll be in London late Nov/early Dec so I'll definitely post if I return with an orange box!

Thank you so much. There is a bit of me wanting to have an in-person experience. I'll probably just go for it and try to leave any expectations at the door! I'll be in London late Nov/early Dec so I'll definitely post if I return with an orange box!
Welcome, and I second @paula24jen recommendation to go to the Royal Exchange if you have time. A much more intimate shopping experience without the hoopla of queues & general frenzy at the bigger shops.

You could also order from online for store pick up to guarantee the scarves you would like to look at are there and get the store experience as well:shrugs::flowers:

Just keep in mind that whatever you will buy in London, you will not be able to return - only exchange (or potentially a store credit). You can go to the store and try as much as you want in London, but I would suggest you order from online at your home base (unless it is a grail not available anywhere). You have an option to return if you decide you change your mind.

Just keep in mind that whatever you will buy in London, you will not be able to return - only exchange (or potentially a store credit). You can go to the store and try as much as you want in London, but I would suggest you order from online at your home base (unless it is a grail not available anywhere). You have an option to return if you decide you change your mind.
In UK, refunds are allowed up to 14 days. Exchange within 30 days or store credit. In France, it's store credit, no refunds.

In UK, refunds are allowed up to 14 days. Exchange within 30 days or store credit. In France, it's store credit, no refunds.
You got a better boutique policy in the UK than the US. I am not sure if one does purchase an H item in the UK boutique, it is possible to exchange or get a store credit in the US. Way too complex, better to stick to US website to avoid expenisive mistakes:smile:

Last edited:
  • Insightful
Reactions: Karenska
Hi there! I’m new to Hermès. Do Hermès scarf designs change each season and/or year? Should I purchase right away if I really love a specific design? Thank you so much for your help!
:welcome:

Yes, there's new designs each season. Some may be reissued but rarely the same cw or format as before. If you see something you love, definitely get it while you can. Otherwise, you'd have to hunt on the resale market once it's gone from stores.

How exciting and welcome!

The DC store is awful for keeping you waiting in my experience. They’re very attentive once they’re dealing with you, but until then, ugh. I frankly rarely go anymore, it’s so annoying.

Buying online is so easy and there’s free returns. EVERY other location I’ve been to from NYC to Dallas, to Boston, to Paris to Miami is better than DC.

Reactions: readingshoshi