Scarves Scarf collection: what is your optimum number?

ladysarah

O.G.
Jul 17, 2008
Question for seasoned and NEWbies (like me) Hermes scarf lovers. It’s so easy to collect scarves because, just like handbags a scarf always fits! What is your ideal number? When do you think is too many? And what is a ‘minimal’ collection in your view?

Reactions: HolyC and Nomad
That is a tough question! I think it depends how you view the scarves. If you have a more utilitarian view you may have less because it's important that they match your lifestyle, wardrobe etc. If you tend to be an intense collector well....you may never have an ultimate number ;) I will say though now I am much more particular about which scarves I purchase compared to when I first started with H. The design has to look nice when tied for the most part-if there's a lot of blank space and the design falls apart when tied I won't by it. I still don't have an ultimate number though because I view them as wearable art, so if a design captures me I tend to buy it!

Last edited:
No 2 people will be the same. 'Lots' is my number. TBH, I stopped counting 90s. I don't collect by number but potential usage.

After many years, I've still only 5 mousselines, 5 cashmere including 100s and CSGMs, 3 Maxi-twillies, 3 (normal) twillies, under 10 45 & 55s, and under 10 70s. Proportionally, to my 90s, the other formats are insignificant because I wear a 90 almost daily.

By order of priority, I'd say think about:
1. Format
It will relate to your style and the purpose of what you wear a scarf.E.g. If you only ever wear a scarf for warmth, outerwear and total undone, glamorous casualness, you are better off having 10 x CSGM and no others. If you are a gamine and just want an Audrey bow to signify H, you're better off with a few choice twillies and nothing else.

a) Design
A scarf is personal. Never buy a design that doesn't chime with your personality.

b) Colour(s)
Buy scarves where most colours work throughout the scarf so you don't constantly have to hide 'bits'. If you only look good in pink or blue, luckily for you you can stop after a few choice scarves. If you suit quite a few colours with the wardrobe to match, you may keep finding gaps.

3. Scale/style of pattern.
Again, this may determine that you could be happy with fewer if the scale that suits you is more extreme, or look much better in strong geometrics.

As @Satya83 notes, I think I've become more thoughtful about which scarves I actually purchase...if an otherwise beautiful scarf doesn't look good tied or if the colors simply don't work with my wardrobe or if I already have X scarves with similar colors, I am able to restrain myself. I'm not sure there is a number but both DH and, funnily enough, my SA actively discourage the purchase of new scarves. My SA will only 'allow' me to buy unique or interesting scarves like the cashmere muffler with pockets below.
IMG_0342.jpg

This is a fun question to ponder, but there is no good answer.

For me, the answer has always been ‘whatever number I have now plus a few more.’

Are you collecting to wear? To have a collection?

At this point, I buy many scarves for my collection. Many I don’t wear. I have way more scarves than there are days in a year… which is clearly more than a reasonable number of scarves a human needs. But as long as I call it my collection, scarf hoarding is okay :smile:

For me, the answer has always been ‘whatever number I have now plus a few more.’

At this point, I buy many scarves for my collection. Many I don’t wear. I have way more scarves than there are days in a year… which is clearly more than a reasonable number of scarves a human needs. But as long as I call it my collection, scarf hoarding is okay :smile:
Best answer ever!! Hahaha too funny

That is a tough question! I think it depends how you view the scarves. If you have a more utilitarian view you may have less because it's important that they match your lifestyle, wardrobe etc. If you tend to be an intense collector well....you may never have an ultimate number ;) I will say though now I am much more particular about which scarves I purchase compared to when I first started with H. The design has to look nice when tied for the most part-if there's a lot of blank space and the design falls apart when tied I won't by it. I still don't have an ultimate number though because I view them as wearable art, so if a design captures me I tend to buy it!

No 2 people will be the same. 'Lots' is my number. TBH, I stopped counting 90s. I don't collect by number but potential usage.

After many years, I've still only 5 mousselines, 5 cashmere including 100s and CSGMs, 3 Maxi-twillies, 3 (normal) twillies, under 10 45 & 55s, and under 10 70s. Proportionally, to my 90s, the other formats are insignificant because I wear a 90 almost daily.

By order of priority, I'd say think about:

1. Format

It will relate to your style and the purpose of what you wear a scarf.E.g. If you only ever wear a scarf for warmth, outerwear and total undone, glamorous casualness, you are better off having 10 x CSGM and no others. If you are a gamine and just want an Audrey bow to signify H, you're better off with a few choice twillies and nothing else.

a) Design

A scarf is personal. Never buy a design that doesn't chime with your personality.

b) Colour(s)

Buy scarves where most colours work throughout the scarf so you don't constantly have to hide 'bits'. If you only look good in pink or blue, luckily for you you can stop after a few choice scarves. If you suit quite a few colours with the wardrobe to match, you may keep finding gaps.

3. Scale/style of pattern.

Again, this may determine that you could be happy with fewer if the scale that suits you is more extreme, or look much better in strong geometrics.

As @Satya83 notes, I think I've become more thoughtful about which scarves I actually purchase...if an otherwise beautiful scarf doesn't look good tied or if the colors simply don't work with my wardrobe or if I already have X scarves with similar colors, I am able to restrain myself. I'm not sure there is a number but both DH and, funnily enough, my SA actively discourage the purchase of new scarves. My SA will only 'allow' me to buy unique or interesting scarves like the cashmere muffler with pockets below.
View attachment 5960271
Excellent and insightful answers for @ladysarah. Wonderful.

Lady, as one with an ( imo) large collection I still find the scarfies answers above helpful, including Anna (replied separately). All of it is wise and good reminders and insight. I agree totally with above, and am still figuring my thoughts on this myself. I am culling back at this point. And am using techniques listed above to curb new purchases. I wear mine. No collection pieces I don’t plan on wearing. But my hoard of beauties is def in collection status lol. I try to keep csgm’s to a low number I think I am at 7. Reason due to cost and silks are actually warm too, which surprised me. Enjoy the journey!

Last edited:
For a long time I kept my collection in the 40-45 range. I built my collection slowly and deliberately. Not much impulse buying. Careful in and ruthless out has been my approach. It is important to me to only have things that I wear and use. It only had to be used once a year, but I had to use it. If I found I wasn't wearing something, and didn't want to wear it, it went.

In the past year I jumped to the 50-55 range. It was a very stressful year and instead of emotional eating I did emotional scarfing. So much for my avoidance of impulse buys. I am kind of done. Nothing really on my wish list except one grail.

Online searching for my one remaining grail exposes me to temptation. I see scarves I consider to be special, like 140 silks or a rare mousse, that I start to lust for. That makes me nervous. I don't want to always be adding something. I think a person's collection grows as long as they shop, because there is always something you start to feel like you have to have. The act of searching and buying becomes addictive.

I think it is very hard to know how well a scarf will work for you until you live with it a while. In the past, it was not difficult to sell mistakes. Now it is. This makes purchases more risky. Also scarf prices are much more than they used to be. Buying becomes a major commitment these days. Instead of dating a scarf, now you marry it.

Last edited:
For a long time I kept my collection in the 40-45 range. I built my collection slowly and deliberately. Not much impulse buying. Careful in and ruthless out has been my approach. It is important to me to only have things that I wear and use. It only had to be used once a year, but I had to use it. If I found I wasn't wearing something, and didn't want to wear it, it went.

In the past year I jumped to the 50-55 range. It was a very stressful year and instead of emotional eating I did emotional scarfing. So much for my avoidance of impulse buys. I am kind of done. Nothing really on my wish list except one grail.

Online searching for my one remaining grail exposes me to temptation. I see scarves I consider to be special, like 140 silks or a rare mousse, that I start to lust for. That makes me nervous. I don't want to always be adding something. I think a person's collection grows as long as they shop, because there is always something you start to feel like you have to have. The act of searching and buying becomes addictive.

I think it is very hard to know how well a scarf will work for you until you live with it a while. In the past, it was not difficult to sell mistakes. Now it is. This makes purchases more risky. Also scarf prices are much more than they used to be. Buying becomes a major commitment these days. Instead of dating a scarf, now you marry it.
Love "emotional scarfing." There are definitely a few scarves that entered my collection because of that! And agreed that the price increases have led to more deliberate and careful consideration.

I wear my 90s a few times a week and I have about 10 of them. I only buy them when I really like the design and it's in a color way that speaks to me (whether it fits into my wardrobe or if it's a color way is just really beautiful). I don't foresee stopping, but there's going to be some reasons where I buy 2 and some seasons where I buy none. I most likely will stop myself when I get to 20 but for me, the 90 format just works for me during all seasons.

Question for seasoned and NEWbies (like me) Hermes scarf lovers. It’s so easy to collect scarves because, just like handbags a scarf always fits! What is your ideal number? When do you think is too many? And what is a ‘minimal’ collection in your view?
I originally started this thread because I felt my collection was probably too large (it has since grown bigger!) but also because I found I was wearing the same few on rotation with the rest languishing in their boxes. So I suppose I demonstrate behaviour of both a collector and a wearer.

It might help me justify my scarf buying however if I had an extra neck, a la Zaphod Beeblebrox?!?

Zaphod Beeblebrox for President - Electric Literature

Last edited:

Love your thoughtful post, you describe exactly my feelings about this. Emotional Scarfing - that is inspired!

Haha, collecting it is then! For the maths nerds among us (@bunnycat is definitely one!) the optimum number of scarves can be expressed as n+1 or n-1, where n is either the number of scarves you have now OR the number of scarves your partner will leave you over… :coolio:

In addition to everything said here, I think it depends on the climate you live in, your personal style, the colors you will get use from and how often you wear each type of scarf.

I have far too many. Given I wear scarves in 3 seasons, if chosen wisely, I would have a lot of variety with 4-6 well chosen 90s and 6 well chosen 100 and 140s and that’s still a pretty generous amount.

I have considerably more and I could have been more discerning. I have come to realize I can live without all other sizes and formats.

There are a color families missing from my scarves that I would use so I will keep my eye out for those but I feel like I have too many generally.