Scarves Scarf collection: what is your optimum number?

Haha, collecting it is then! For the maths nerds among us (@bunnycat is definitely one!) the optimum number of scarves can be expressed as n+1 or n-1, where n is either the number of scarves you have now OR the number of scarves your partner will leave you over… :coolio:
I worry I may be approaching n, then. I’ve had a few comments lately about “..not another scarf!”.

A few basic things to consider when deciding "what and how many" are your financial consideration and space - how many scarves you can afford and whether you have space to store it all. Do you want to wear everything you buy or are you comfortable just storing some scarves? Either avenue of thought process works here; as a matter of fact, I know collectors that only purely collect scarves (without ever wearing them - and we are talking about multiple hundreds of scarves!) and some that only keep what they actually wear (or plan on wearing). What formats do you like personally? Are you comfortable just hoarding the scarves or do you want to have only what you wear? Do you like vintage designs - or do you prefer modern editions? Scarf wearing/collecting is very individual and there is no magic number:smile:

Haha, collecting it is then! For the maths nerds among us (@bunnycat is definitely one!) the optimum number of scarves can be expressed as n+1 or n-1, where n is either the number of scarves you have now OR the number of scarves your partner will leave you over… :coolio:
Ha, thankfully, my husband is not likely to be upset over scarves. Now, if I were to buy another horse…

Ha, thankfully, my husband is not likely to be upset over scarves. Now, if I were to buy another horse…
I’ll remember to tell my husband that at least I’m not buying horses!

To stay on topic, I’ve collected quite a scarves very quickly and feel like I’m naturally being more considered with purchases lately as I don’t see the need for every design and notice that colour families get repeated. I agree with @Ashanti_Rose on the finances and space aspect, too. Both are a consideration for me.

I worry I may be approaching n, then. I’ve had a few comments lately about “..not another scarf!”.
:lol: I got one this morning out for coffee with my DH when I casually mentioned, hey I bought a scarf. You bought a scarf.. TODAY?!
No, last night, haha. Then I described it and we were on the same page again, LOL. I maaaaaight be approaching n too.

My collection has always had a life of its own, at times a bit like a runaway car without a driver...
Peak acquisition years were between the 90s and before 2010, where my rather voracious scarf appetite grew the collection to several hundreds. Then maybe with age a little bit of perspective seeped in, and selling off the excess started to make sense? Thinning the ranks is my active phase right now, even though I will not fight coups de coeur as new collections come out. But I have found the right person to help me re-home my beauties, so I know they will be loved anew. Tis a process, definitely not linear!

I am fortunate that DH loves my scarves--perhaps more than I do. I don't get any grief from him on scarves because he loves bright colors. He considers collecting scarves to be my hobby. He was not so understanding about bags. I started educating him about why I liked certain bags. When one came, I would show him the aspects of the bag that drew me to it. I talked to him about leathers, handles, closures, sizes, colors, etc. Now he is fine with bags. He has even accepted that I am, at heart, a collector who is just happy to have them.

Maybe those of you who are getting push back from DH would benefit from showing him scarves and educating him. To him, they may all look like interchangeable colored blobs. Give him enough info to appreciate what he sees. You will know you have won him over when he says "is that an Alice Shirley?"

thank you to all of you who replied! of course you are all collectors and enthusiasts here - I was wondering more from the point of view of a fairly minimalist collection. yes I also view them as wearable art (damn it!) however lets say for arguments sake I could only have 6-10 scarves...what would you choose? (size, silk, cashmere, colour etc)
I view them as wearable art, so if a design captures me I tend to buy it!
thank you @GabrielleS for actually giving a number. @papertiger yes I know you haves so many best not to count (LOL)

thank you to all of you who replied! of course you are all collectors and enthusiasts here - I was wondering more from the point of view of a fairly minimalist collection. yes I also view them as wearable art (damn it!) however lets say for arguments sake I could only have 6-10 scarves...what would you choose? (size, silk, cashmere, colour etc)

thank you @GabrielleS for actually giving a number. @papertiger yes I know you haves so many best not to count (LOL)
This is an interesting challenge.

Personally, I would go for a combination of silk 90s and 140s (twill and mousseline for the 140s). I am allergic to cashmere.

This is an interesting challenge.

Personally, I would go for a combination of silk 90s and 140s (twill and mousseline for the 140s). I am allergic to cashmere.
Pick the two predominant colors in your wardrobe. Don't buy anything that you have not seen tied. Some scarves look great flat but not tied. Avoid scarves with wide borders. Don't get anything but 90s or CSGM (140 cashmere/silk). I believe it is cold and damp where you live so a CSGM could be a treat for you. Small stuff won't give the the mileage if you are only getting 6-10. Get comfortable with the idea of buying authenticated, pre-loved. Current season would be too limiting. Usually there are a few great designs each season. The rest are good but not great. Only buy scarves that you LOVE. Like isn't good enough.

Not saying you should do what I did, but I had my first 10 picked out before I ever bought one. Invest some time going through Scarf of the Day thread--current and prior years. You could notice the designs that really grab your attention. Figure out what you like. Seeing modeling shots is the best way to pick scarves.

I would choose some of the 70s from past seasons-they are very practical for day to day. I wish H would issue more of them each season. I also really like the triangle cashmere format-I find them easier to manage than the CSGMs. Colours-like them all!! Neutral colours don't really work for me personally and there are about 3 white scarves in my collection mainly because I'm scared of spilling something on them.