Scarves Scarf collection: what is your optimum number?

CSGMs are the most useful for me. I’ve also been trying to use my Twillies more (not as bag handle protection but for wearing - a quick tie around my neck or in my hair) as a quick and easy way for adding just a tiny bit of H to my outfit.

90s are in fact too formal for my lifestyle a lot of the time. Which is how I know practicality is definitely not the top concern for me because 90s is what I own the most of! I guess 90s just feel like the most “true” format to me, whether that’s because they feel like the most…orthodox?…format for an H scarf, or maybe because I tend to see them as the closest to the artist’s vision and therefore the most “art”. Hence I also enjoy hanging 90s on my walls to get some more usage out of them (I use a hanging system like the one H sells so it’s easy to switch them).

I am absolutely nowhere near a collector and am constantly in awe of the scarf lovers on this forum. Nonetheless the number I own in total is in the 3 digits. I know the exact number as I use an app to track my inventory. I think I even got the app recommendation from this forum (Stylebook). I have a photo for each scarf I own in the app so I can easily see everything I own. Whenever I am considering a purchase, I open the app to see how it will fit into the whole collection. (The app also allows you to do outfits and calculate costs per wear but I’m too lazy to do that :lol:) (I also do this for my shoes and handbags…which are their own problems too).

The other thing I’ve been doing since a couple seasons ago is to not purchase more than one of the same scarf design (even across formats). I may or may not break the rule very occasionally…but hey it’s my own rule! It has also helped me a lot in really debating and thinking things over.

If I truly consider how many scarves I need, I do think I can do it with 10, probably evenly divided between CSGMs and 90s. Maybe start with colors that are neutral / universally wearable, then a couple that tie with the other colors I like to wear (yellow, blue and green for me). Of course, in reality don’t think I will ever be able to get down to that number. :whiteflag:

CSGMs are the most useful for me. I’ve also been trying to use my Twillies more (not as bag handle protection but for wearing - a quick tie around my neck or in my hair) as a quick and easy way for adding just a tiny bit of H to my outfit.

90s are in fact too formal for my lifestyle a lot of the time. Which is how I know practicality is definitely not the top concern for me because 90s is what I own the most of! I guess 90s just feel like the most “true” format to me, whether that’s because they feel like the most…orthodox?…format for an H scarf, or maybe because I tend to see them as the closest to the artist’s vision and therefore the most “art”. Hence I also enjoy hanging 90s on my walls to get some more usage out of them (I use a hanging system like the one H sells so it’s easy to switch them).

I am absolutely nowhere near a collector and am constantly in awe of the scarf lovers on this forum. Nonetheless the number I own in total is in the 3 digits. I know the exact number as I use an app to track my inventory. I think I even got the app recommendation from this forum (Stylebook). I have a photo for each scarf I own in the app so I can easily see everything I own. Whenever I am considering a purchase, I open the app to see how it will fit into the whole collection. (The app also allows you to do outfits and calculate costs per wear but I’m too lazy to do that :lol:) (I also do this for my shoes and handbags…which are their own problems too).

The other thing I’ve been doing since a couple seasons ago is to not purchase more than one of the same scarf design (even across formats). I may or may not break the rule very occasionally…but hey it’s my own rule! It has also helped me a lot in really debating and thinking things over.

If I truly consider how many scarves I need, I do think I can do it with 10, probably evenly divided between CSGMs and 90s. Maybe start with colors that are neutral / universally wearable, then a couple that tie with the other colors I like to wear (yellow, blue and green for me). Of course, in reality don’t think I will ever be able to get down to that number. :whiteflag:
So many good suggestions in here, including the app. I’ve been keep tracking of my scarves in a spreadsheet but it’s not super helpful if I don’t recall the name of a scarf.
Thanks @momoc

Haha, collecting it is then! For the maths nerds among us (@bunnycat is definitely one!) the optimum number of scarves can be expressed as n+1 or n-1, where n is either the number of scarves you have now OR the number of scarves your partner will leave you over… :coolio:

I worry I may be approaching n, then. I’ve had a few comments lately about “..not another scarf!”.

Very true- but also add in yarn for me too. Since taking up spinning, if I get "squishy mail", I get an :rolleyes: from Mr Bcat (who ENCOURAGED me to buy a spinning wheel, no less!!!) and a "Is that MORE yarn???" To which I often answer "Nope. PRE-yarn...." :lol:

It really almost came to blows one evening when I was searching for the "perfect" yarn in my stash for a project. I knew I had it (somewhere) but had to empty one of my bins to find it. I should have SHUT THE DOOR to the "loom room" because he stuck his head in and then his head exploded :panic: .

Him: This is like a horror movie!!!
Me: :shrugs:
Him: Is every container in this room full of yarn?!!!??? :cray:
Me: ......
Me: ......
Me: Yes. I have been weaving since 1999. I have collected a lot of yarn. Just leave the room and forget you saw it. It'll take 10 minutes to put away.
Him: I'll never be able to unsee it!!!
Me: I didn't invite you in here Mr Vampire! :lol:

As for scarves, he knows where the drawers are. He sees the piles of boxes, and he knows how many orders he has placed on H dot com and with 2 Bachelors, 2 Masters and a PhD, I know he knows how to add...so we just slide that right under the carpet. :P

I am in awe of your system, though I have a different practice. :biggrin: I have far fewer, and if I like a pattern, I collect it and its variations in multiple formats (CSGM,90, mousseline, seasonal, such as silk fringed muffler, dip dye, etc). I have collected multiple colorways, but only of a few patterns. Limiting pattern in general also cuts down on my purchases; and, I now only buy scarves occasionally, mainly as gifts. I probably have fewer than 30, and I now prefer non h scarves as more under the radar, and more versatile. The fact that I mainly wear neutral colors is a strong factor.

Last edited:
thank you to all of you who replied! of course you are all collectors and enthusiasts here - I was wondering more from the point of view of a fairly minimalist collection. yes I also view them as wearable art (damn it!) however lets say for arguments sake I could only have 6-10 scarves...what would you choose? (size, silk, cashmere, colour etc)

thank you @GabrielleS for actually giving a number. @papertiger yes I know you haves so many best not to count (LOL)
Hmmm. I think 30 would be my minimum, with a mix of 45, 70,90 and a handful of csgm. If I could have 6-10 I would do one csgm in colors that would go with most of my wardrobe. Which I am finding personally is Appaloosa in soft colors for me.
IMG_4359.jpeg
I would do mostly 90’s as they have good volume and the reality is the 90’s as a whole are the best designs. There is no Into the Canadian wild in a 70. I would do 2 70’s since they are so easy and casual to throw on. And the vintage silk is divine. I wouldn’t take a space with a dip dye as imo they tend to have a “one look” look due to its over-dye dominance. My 90’s would have to be chameleons that can be tied to look like different designs so I get tons of variety to highlight in my 10. I am not a classic design lover really, nor a classic dresser. So for me I wouldn’t feel like a BdG needed a spot no matter how quintessential H. But I would make one a vintage design. That makes me feel quintessential H. So for me it would be my La France in teal and sepia. I wouldn’t do a solid colored wide border as again it lacks the variety for me that different corners do for me. Though if you are a classic dresser or a neutral dresser ( I am not) then one of the 10 would indeed be a classic H look to make 1/10. I wear twillies in hair but would not have one if I had to stick to less than 10. I’d have one gav tho for a cute look on neck or hair. Gav designs can have the cutesy lighthearted feels or give that color punch to an outfit too and I really like that. I wouldn’t take a space with a 140 twill. But I would do a 140 moussie and it would be a changeant. Glory of sparkle.
Personally I would spread out my color choices because I like my scarves to add color to outfit and face. So I personally wouldn’t even have a mostly white or a black based, or a brown or all neutral in my 10. But I know scarfies that for 10 would own mostly their fav color whatever it be, mostly blues, and mostly oranges comes to mind for a couple scarfies ;). But color choices are so personal too like an ideal number. There would be a classy scarfie out there who would make their 10 the most gorgeous all classic H neutrals on the planet with their gorg classy wardrobe.
So anyway, I don’t think there is any standard or any formula in this silken game. No proper way to purchase them or typical pathway. My thoughts here on what to make up the 10 isn’t even a majority similarity. It’s just me.

Ha so what am I at.
1 45
1 csgm
1 140 moussie
2 70’s
1 vintage 90
4 90’s

Yup that works for me in extreme minimalism haha.

Ok scarfies! Some of you here have collections to rival that of Queen Elisabeth! What happened to her collection btw…
Looking at it from the point of view of a minimal travelling wardrobe. I am going to Vienna for a few days and taking three silk 90´s. I am wearing one and packed two more. Iam also looking to adding a cute scarf ring for extra versatility.

Ok scarfies! Some of you here have collections to rival that of Queen Elisabeth! What happened to her collection btw…
Looking at it from the point of view of a minimal travelling wardrobe. I am going to Vienna for a few days and taking three silk 90´s. I am wearing one and packed two more. Iam also looking to adding a cute scarf ring for extra versatility.
Sounds perfect! I'd add that subject to the weather, I might substitute (or add) one CSGM. I find the CSGMs very useful for traveling as they serve as part of my layering strategy. Over or under my outerwear they add warmth; they can replace bulky outerwear weather permitting, and of course they're always stylish whatever way you wear them.

I am pretty much a newbie when it comes to scarves and I'm still working out what works for me.

What definitely works for me is CSGM - I love them and find them easiest to wear. They will always be the backbone of my scarf collection and the ideal number is n+1 @paula24jen :lol:

I have about 10 twillies which, it turns out, is about 8 too many. I rarely wrap handles, I don't wear things in my hair, and I'm not great at tying them in other ways. Maybe I can get better at wearing them as bracelets. n-8

I love 90s because I think it's such a beautiful format for the designs, and so I buy them from time to time, but they really don't work for my lifestyle - I always feel a bit overdone when I wear one, no matter how I tie it or what I'm wearing lol. At the moment I am experimenting with a necklace-style (someone will be able to tell me what that's called - bias fold then three knots), which seems to be ok but even then.... I sometimes wear silks from other houses and smaller designers as well and somehow I find I can wear these more successfully.

I have a mousseline but I really don't know what to do with it! It makes me hot when I wear it and I wish it draped more.

I've been buying 45s a bit because they are a lovely size tied onto a bag or even a belt tab on jeans, but the design selection is much more limited than in the 90 format, so that acts as a natural break on the size of the collection. n+1